B Back

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Laskey was specifically recruited as a BB by us, Navy, and Air Force. Everybody who knew what we were doing, iow, could see he fit. That's how it's supposed to work.

I think Coach keeps hoping that he can get another Dwyer back there, however. (No surprise there, I suppose.) He like a combo of size, tough running, and real good speed and so far we haven't been able to get that. I wouldn't be surprised to see Zach give it to us this year, but, imho, we do need to find some new recruits at the position tout suite.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Taking nothing away from Dwyer, but Laskey scores on FSU on that first play. We were in trips so that took away one of the safeties. The other safety completely ran out of position biting on motion and there was NOBODY in the middle of the field after that. The MLB got chipped by an OL and there just wasn't anybody else.

Exactly. The outside threat along with the pre-snap alignment and motion caused the remaining safety to sprint to the 8 hole taking himself out of the play. Throw in the block on the MLB and the result is a big play. Hopefully JT can restore that outside threat and with some better blocking we will have inside. midline, and outside big plays once again. If so BB will be fine.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My biggest concern is that defenses attack us now. Look back at how UGA slow played their front 7. Slow playing was the conventional way to defend the wishbone back in the day. We tore that up. Defenses have changed tactics and have been attacking us here lately and it's made a difference. This past season, Syracuse slow played us and we ate them up. Problem is most everyone else has been attacking the LOS and it's made OLinemen who are better suited for this system look worse than the patchwork line we put together in 08. Not being negative here, just stating a legit concern I've had for the last few years. Discuss.
It sometimes seems that way to me as well. Problem = the rushing stats don't bear it out. We pretty much tore up the pea patch at BB last year and it's been that way for some time now. Came in 6th in the country running too, with a QB who wasn't very good at the TO.

I agree that we have a harder time diagnosing what the Ds are up to nowadays, but we keep getting pretty much the same result. Now, if we can only find another Dwyer. (Yeah. Right.)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not sure I agree with the original poster. In fact, I think this position may be the hardest to recruit for on the entire team. I base that statement on the unique combination of abilities that an IDEAL BB has to possess. Having some body weight is a huge help at that position, true, but you have to combine that with great balance and body control. Not only that but you have to be very quick off the mark coming out of the 3 point stance. Then you have to be able to finish runs, not just start them. It is pretty hard to find battering rams that can cut and accelerate into open grass well enough to out run some angles. Then you have to have excellent hands to control the ball through the MESH and face immediate collisions, very often in the area that you are holding the ball. Just doing all that is hard enough, but to be the ideal BB you need to be a good blocker and a good secondary receiver as well. This is not an easy position. Every guy we have had to date has been a compromise of sorts. The diesel was probably the closest to ideal, but even he lacked the toughness at the point of attack a little. He got stopped for losses more than our last two. But man, could he finish runs! Holy cow. We are still looking for the right guy.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
My biggest concern is that defenses attack us now. Look back at how UGA slow played their front 7. Slow playing was the conventional way to defend the wishbone back in the day. We tore that up. Defenses have changed tactics and have been attacking us here lately and it's made a difference. This past season, Syracuse slow played us and we ate them up. Problem is most everyone else has been attacking the LOS and it's made OLinemen who are better suited for this system look worse than the patchwork line we put together in 08. Not being negative here, just stating a legit concern I've had for the last few years. Discuss.

It is real concern. When the LBs attacked the offense in the Spring game we had problems. Obviously the weather played a role in turnovers but blown up plays happened. We have to get the inside penetration stopped enough to burn the defense to the outside. A real outside threat must be established. I guess our hope is JT and JT/pitch.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Boomergump Can you give us an example of someone that would be a great bback?
Great question and kind of fun to answer because it involves a good bit of fantasy because guys like this aren't easy to find.

Looking back a ways: Earl Campbell would have been awesome as a BB. He ran low and he ran hard. Plus he could finish runs. Bo Jackson, couldn't miss either. He was the perfect blend of power, agility and speed.

If I had to stay inside the GT community, I would say Tony Hollings and PJ Daniels would have been good.

In my mind, if you have to compromise, you go with the bucking bronco first over the guy who is a home run threat but a little weaker in the trash. Some of those big NAVY guys were good. Getting a sure fire 4 yards is a must.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I can see Tony Hollings idk about PJ (he didn't have much wriggle)
None of them better runners than Dwyer tho to me.
I know no one would want to hear this but Gurley would be an excellent bback to me.
But honestly any good running back can be a bback in my opinion . I don't think it has to be a specific type for I believe a stout shifty runner could flourish at the position as well as long as they had great vision.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Bet money that Gurley struggles this year through injury, scheme, or both. Teams will elect to go low on him, and the passing threat is not that prevalent. Will probably see some 8 man fronts, although it will most likely be post snap 8 man fronts (sneaking safeties up).

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Many of you forget that UGAs Brendan Douglas was committed to us until he flipped at the last minute. That would've been scary. IMO he would've been the perfect BB

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, good running backs are a dime a dozen. Just sign 4 or 5 every year. Truth - There maybe 10-15 in the country every year at best.

calvin forever

Georgia Tech Fan
My biggest concern is that defenses attack us now. Look back at how UGA slow played their front 7. Slow playing was the conventional way to defend the wishbone back in the day. We tore that up. Defenses have changed tactics and have been attacking us here lately and it's made a difference. This past season, Syracuse slow played us and we ate them up. Problem is most everyone else has been attacking the LOS and it's made OLinemen who are better suited for this system look worse than the patchwork line we put together in 08. Not being negative here, just stating a legit concern I've had for the last few years. Discuss.[/QUOTE

Definitely share this concern. How do we counter defenses who aggressively attack the line? The VT game last year stands out in that we seemingly had no answer to DBs crashing our wide splits. We don't have the screen/ quick release pass at our disposal (or at least rearely used since D. Thomas).

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Definitely share this concern. How do we counter defenses who aggressively attack the line? The VT game last year stands out in that we seemingly had no answer to DBs crashing our wide splits. We don't have the screen/ quick release pass at our disposal (or at least rearely used since D. Thomas).
This is the question that needs to be answered for the evolution of our offense to proceed. I think some of the answers are there already and could be realized through good execution, but I also feel we could/should scheme up a couple of new wrinkles too. No defense should be successful consistently in such an aggressive and unbalanced stance. There is simply too much grass left uncovered. It is not that difficult in our standard offensive flexbone alignment to hit the open areas quickly.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure there's a counter to an attacking defense. Whether we can successfully execute it is the question. It's good to see us working on it in Spring. Maybe we'll be much better prepared for it this fall.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
There is a counter to any defense (as DCS points out). The bear in the formula is to read and the execute accordingly. Sometime their Jimmies and Joes just flat out play ours.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the no huddle look to the sidelines stuff we were doing in spring could let us make an adjustment to teams showing attack.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This is the question that needs to be answered for the evolution of our offense to proceed. I think some of the answers are there already and could be realized through good execution, but I also feel we could/should scheme up a couple of new wrinkles too. No defense should be successful consistently in such an aggressive and unbalanced stance. There is simply too much grass left uncovered. It is not that difficult in our standard offensive flexbone alignment to hit the open areas quickly.

Execution is the key. If the team can make the reads we can be explosive.