Away fan attendance

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
I was thinking about going to the uga game this year with my girlfriend since we have never gone, but after reading this thread, I may have to reconsider. Are the fans just rude or do you actually feel unsafe? I dont mind if they are rude, but I definitely dont want to put us at harm if we are just wearing GT gear.
Take your girl. UGA is amongst the most tame crowds you will ever see. I have taken my GF and now wife multiple times. Sanford Stadium is not the Vet in Philly or the Oakland Raiders. Good grief.

I had more problems in Denver when Vick and Falcons beat them than at all of my UGA experiences combined.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking about going to the uga game this year with my girlfriend since we have never gone, but after reading this thread, I may have to reconsider. Are the fans just rude or do you actually feel unsafe? I dont mind if they are rude, but I definitely dont want to put us at harm if we are just wearing GT gear.

This probably goes without saying, but it is definitely not a family atmosphere, if/when I go back I won't take the family. It's one thing to look out for and/or defend yourself but gets scary when you have wife/kids to worry about.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for the advice folks! I guess we will try taking our chances this year and see how it goes. If it truly turns out to be too bad, it may be our only time then.

Goldisbest

Georgia Tech Fan
I went to Blacksburg the year before last and I am going this year. I thought their fans were fine. I will never ever sell my tickets to DWAG fans.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I went to Blacksburg the year before last and I am going this year. I thought their fans were fine. I will never ever sell my tickets to DWAG fans.

I've been three times, one was bad, the other were good. The year we slaughtered them with Calvin was the bad one. I was in the VT student section looking for my friend (VT fan) because we got separated going in. On our second possession, Calvin catches the ball in the flats and races 50 yards for a TD to make it 14-0. I was cheering, but by no means talking trash to anyone. This kid next to me kept telling me he was going to kick my a**, and I ignored him. Eventually it got so bad that others started threatening as well...I got him to calm down by telling him very quietly that he was going to have equally as bad a day as me if it kept up...so it calms down.

At halftime I go down to find my friend, his old college friends are down there and one of their girlfriends just attacks me for wearing GT stuff. The entire student section starts cheering and chucking mini liquor bottles and drinks at me. A cop comes and takes me out of the section, then accuses me of cussing out an 11 year old (absolute nonsense) and threatens to kick me out of the stadium.

So I walk over to the Tech section and it calmed down a bit, and we got on to win 38-27 (for those that remember, the game was way worse than the score...we were up 38-14 at the start of Q4.

Great game, poor fan experience...but hey, I was 22 and in a student section. I guess every student section can be like that...

Other two experiences were good. 2012 was heartbreaking, but the fans weren't rude.

Animal02

Banned
A friend of mine took a date to a U of Michigan football game.....seats in the student section. His date......oblivious to football etc, wore a red wool overcoat (close enough to scarlet of Ohio State) By the end of the game, her coat was covered with mini marshmallows that she had been pelted with from Mich students.

Goldisbest

Georgia Tech Fan
I've been three times, one was bad, the other to
I've been three times, one was bad, the other were good. The year we slaughtered them with Calvin was the bad one. I was in the VT student section looking for my friend (VT fan) because we got separated going in. On our second possession, Calvin catches the ball in the flats and races 50 yards for a TD to make it 14-0. I was cheering, but by no means talking trash to anyone. This kid next to me kept telling me he was going to kick my a**, and I ignored him. Eventually it got so bad that others started threatening as well...I got him to calm down by telling him very quietly that he was going to have equally as bad a day as me if it kept up...so it calms down.

At halftime I go down to find my friend, his old college friends are down there and one of their girlfriends just attacks me for wearing GT stuff. The entire student section starts cheering and chucking mini liquor bottles and drinks at me. A cop comes and takes me out of the section, then accuses me of cussing out an 11 year old (absolute nonsense) and threatens to kick me out of the stadium.

So I walk over to the Tech section and it calmed down a bit, and we got on to win 38-27 (for those that remember, the game was way worse than the score...we were up 38-14 at the start of Q4.

Great game, poor fan experience...but hey, I was 22 and in a student section. I guess every student section can be like that...

Other two experiences were good. 2012 was heartbreaking, but the fans weren't rude.
Yeah, drunk 20 year old fans do some stupid things. I was embarrassed when our student section starting chanting "To Hell With Georgia" during the Larry Munson tribute a few years back. It was not the right time and tainted a classy move by GT. I did some stupid things in my 20's.
I would avoid student sections ever where.

Yeah, drunk 20 year old fans do some stupid things. I was embarrassed when our student section starting chanting "To Hell With Georgia" during the Larry Munson tribute a few years back. It was not the right time and tainted a classy move by GT. I did some stupid things in my 20's.
The student section in Athens is no worse than the student section anywhere. It's the drunk redneck trailer-trash fans who are the problem, and there are plenty of them. I got spit on after I Tech win there once, and it was not by a student.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer

I probably wouldn't have chanted during a Munson tribute even in my early 20s but I also think it was a bad idea to have a tribute to him during the game in our stadium.

The Tech radio broadcast team could/should have paid a tribute to Munson. The athletic program could/should issue a statement and condolences. But why would a radio play by play announcer get a tribute in an opponents stadium during a game? Was it some sort of favor being returned for something UGA did in Athens after Al Ciraldo died? I don't recall their doing anything and find it hard to believe they would have. It doesn't strike me as a very logical move and one that certainly invites a lack of class in the student response. For one thing, Tech fans should be listening to their own radio broadcasts if they can't be at a game.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I definitely wouldnt take my family to Athens. Thats just not a good environment when you are the enemy. They dont understand when and when not to attack an oppossing fan. If i were with my guy friends or whatever itd be no issue. Ugag... By far... have the worst fanbase. Ask any team they have ever played... They take the cake. I hope we whip their tails this year and all our fans and players piss on the hedges. Lol

RamblinJack

Georgia Tech Fan
My wife and I have been to all away games sine 1988 except for a few deaths and weddings in the family. We go to UGA every other year and don't have problems. of course I don't try to bait them or take their bait. Every team has unruly fans even Georgia Tech but UGA has the most unruly fans.