Auburn

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Wilhite may have earned closer role tonight. He's been great. ERA 0.00 in 3 outings (4IP)

According to Wiley... he sports the highest spin rate on the team. He threw 2 perfect innings tonight. Throws strikes & looks very confident/comfortable out there.

Obviously, there are other options to close. But what a great surprise addition to the bullpen.

Deleted member 2897

Huge win!! It's incredible how much depth we have in the pen this year. That's something that I can get really used to and will help us tremendously in tourney play. Need to win 1 out of 3 this weekend.

Sam Crawford again comes in and pitches a scoreless inning. The former cut guy who walked on has given up but 1 run I think in a ton of innings and appearances.

And what’s up with Wilhite? Is it possible with his hitting doldrums that he’s decided to see if pitching is a better way to make the big leagues and is focusing on that more? Apologize if that’s a dumb question, I just noticed him not playing recently.

Deleted member 2897

k87jDx.gif

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
..... .
And what’s up with Wilhite? Is it possible with his hitting doldrums that he’s decided to see if pitching is a better way to make the big leagues and is focusing on that more? Apologize if that’s a dumb question, I just noticed him not playing recently.

I think it's getting Jackson in the in-field so Reid can DH. And letting Austin focus on pitching. He won't go to the MLB as an in-fielder given his BA.

Beating #14 team away is big! Best game we have played in a long time. No errors and lots of manufactured runs. My favorite was the Waddell lead off walk, two advancements on wild pitches and then a Colin sac. No hit inning run.

Game was much closer than the score. We threw 166 pitches, they threw 165. They left 10 on base and we "only" left 7. We were playing with fire much of the night. But we did out hit then 8-4 while they out walked us 8-6 (6=3BB + 3HBP). Baron is on fire which is what we have to have. Baron has raised his BA from ~180 to 279 in a week. Colin who is still struggling overall with a 220 BA and wouldn't be third in my lineup.

Maxwell. Really? Gets first 5 out easy including 3 SO. Then walks the 5-9 batters to give up a run. Then SO the lead off hitter. Sometimes baseball doesn't make sense.

Then in third, walk, SO, walk by Maxwell before he was pulled (I like the Quick Hook DBo ). Dal Smith comes in and walks another and wild pitches a run in. Ouch. So both runs we gave up were due to walks.

Great game. Need to carry on to FSU.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I think it's getting Jackson in the in-field so Reid can DH. And letting Austin focus on pitching. He won't go to the MLB as an in-fielder given his BA.

Beating #14 team away is big! Best game we have played in a long time. No errors and lots of manufactured runs. My favorite was the Waddell lead off walk, two advancements on wild pitches and then a Colin sac. No hit inning run.

Game was much closer than the score. We threw 166 pitches, they threw 165. They left 10 on base and we "only" left 7. We were playing with fire much of the night. But we did out hit then 8-4 while they out walked us 8-6 (6=3BB + 3HBP). Baron is on fire which is what we have to have. Baron has raised his BA from ~180 to 279 in a week. Colin who is still struggling overall with a 220 BA and wouldn't be third in my lineup.

Maxwell. Really? Gets first 5 out easy including 3 SO. Then walks the 5-9 batters to give up a run. Then SO the lead off hitter. Sometimes baseball doesn't make sense.

Then in third, walk, SO, walk by Maxwell before he was pulled (I like the Quick Hook DBo ). Dal Smith comes in and walks another and wild pitches a run in. Ouch. So both runs we gave up were due to walks.

Great game. Need to carry on to FSU.

The Waddell run wasn’t even a walk. It was a HBP that on replay sure didn’t look like it even hit him. Auburn actually challenged that one but it wasn’t clear to me if it was for hitting him or whether he turned into it. Waddell reacted weird too where it took him a second and then turned to trot up the line and the ump hesitated and then gave it to him.

Anyway that’s how you manufacture a run. Sell a HBP that probably wasn’t, two passed balls, and a sac fly.

Deleted member 2897

I like the Quick Hook

I'm not really a baseball expert, but it seemed to me one of the challenges we had in our down years in 2018 and prior was that CDH would leave a pitcher in too long who didn't seem to have his stuff that night for whatever reason. Going from memory, but there were a lot of games that we lost where 1 single inning was more runs than we scored all game. If he had just pulled someone before we gave up 5+ runs it would have made all the difference. Seems like last year and so far this year we've done better in that regard.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not really a baseball expert, but it seemed to me one of the challenges we had in our down years in 2018 and prior was that CDH would leave a pitcher in too long who didn't seem to have his stuff that night for whatever reason. Going from memory, but there were a lot of games that we lost where 1 single inning was more runs than we scored all game. If he had just pulled someone before we gave up 5+ runs it would have made all the difference. Seems like last year and so far this year we've done better in that regard.
We have done much better in that regard. The reason (IMO)... much deeper pitching. CDH has options... unlike those years you allude to. He was between a rock and hard place. Stick with a guy who is struggling or bring in a guy who is likely to struggle as well. Not defending any particular decision or pattern of decisions... just worth pointing out the alternative you/we wish we'd seen would not have necessarily resulted in much better outcomes. No way to know.

The recruiting over the last couple of years & the 'development' (credit Ramsey and DBo, I think) has provided a deeper roster across the board. This is only beginning to show too... which is really exciting for the rest of this season and the foreseeable future. BTW... credit CDH for getting those guys hired. Credit TStan and GTAA for opening the checkbook... particularly for DBo. There is no chance he's here without the admin making a decision to hire/retain higher tier coaches. In addition...the decision on extensions/raises(?) for CDH and Ramsey... credit TStan.

Future is very bright for baseball at Ga Tech! All the pieces: Recruiting (deep rosters), coaching staff (recruiting/development), facilities... all should mean Ga Tech baseball is relevant on national picture in coming years.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have done much better in that regard. The reason (IMO)... much deeper pitching. CDH has options... unlike those years you allude to. He was between a rock and hard place. Stick with a guy who is struggling or bring in a guy who is likely to struggle as well. Not defending any particular decision or pattern of decisions... just worth pointing out the alternative you/we wish we'd seen would not have necessarily resulted in much better outcomes. No way to know.

We had options before and they weren't used. Like Jake Lee should have been used a lot more. CDH stuck with guys like Serratos way to long. A guy is struggling, you give another guy a chance. That way players get to show if they are gamers or not. On any given night a pitcher can flame out or be a superstar, just never know. But when it isn't their night, pull them. Quick Hook.

We agree that we don't know what would have been better in the past; I think we also agree that we have done much better since Ramsey showed up. And with DBo have taken it to all new levels of expectations.

One note from last nights game (this is the Auburn thread!), is that Auburn used three top shelf relievers. Here are their stats after the game and what they gave up:
Fitts: 2.87. Gave up 1 ER in 2.2
Skipper: 1.69. Gave up 1 ER in 1.2.
Barnett: 2.61. Gave up 0 ER in 2.2.

Auburn was not giving us this game. And we abused them, at home. (y)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's what D1 Baseball said,

"* Georgia Tech exited the rankings a couple of weeks ago after getting swept, but perhaps the Yellow Jackets are ready to surge after beating No. 18 Auburn, 6-2, on the road. Dalton Smith and Austin Wilhite combined to throw 4.2 shutout innings with two strikeouts, while offensively, Baron Radcliff had a home run and double."

Agree with the perhaps. It's not what you say but what you do.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Good move but it turned out to be less strenuous than your average GT game.

Listening to the game now. Maxwell walking 6 hitters, and Dalton continuing the trend of wild pitching when he came in would not have helped...

But from the way Wiley described it, Radcliff's shot would have helped immensely!

LibertyTurns

Banned
Listening to the game now. Maxwell walking 6 hitters, and Dalton continuing the trend of wild pitching when he came in would not have helped...

But from the way Wiley described it, Radcliff's shot would have helped immensely!
If you blinked you missed Baron’s HR. If you found the ball, I’m sure it has a huge bat head indentation on it. He crushed it. A very fast HR.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Wofford beat Auburn tonight. 4-3.
Auburn should’ve never been close to preseason top 10. The only reason they were was because of their incredibly flukey CWS trip last year. They were not better than GT or UNC. I wasn’t impressed with Auburn’s hitters at all last year, and without Tanner Burns they were incredibly average.