Auburn

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Mid-week matchup in Auburn, AL.

Maxwell set to start. Auburn is 13-3. D1 baseball has them ranked #18.

They have 13 wins against teams with a combined record of 15-58. The only good team they've played is #12 UCF and Auburn was swept.

Auburn is 3-0 midweek with lopsided wins over Oakland (2-10) and Alabama A&M x2 (3-13).

Bottom line.... I think it is hard to know how good Auburn is. I know I want to kill them after the way 2019 ended.

Deleted member 2897

Mid-week matchup in Auburn, AL.

Maxwell set to start. Auburn is 13-3. D1 baseball has them ranked #18.

They have 13 wins against teams with a combined record of 15-58. The only good team they've played is #12 UCF and Auburn was swept.

Auburn is 3-0 midweek with lopsided wins over Oakland (2-10) and Alabama A&M x2 (3-13).

Bottom line.... I think it is hard to know how good Auburn is. I know I want to kill them after the way 2019 ended.

I want to kill them for that, and the NCAA. How on earth do you host a regional and be the away team twice. How on earth are you the third best 1 seed so you should get the third worst 2 seed (RPI ~30) but you actually get the 2nd best 2 seed (RPI ~18) and the national champs from a few years prior as the 3 seed. Back then I went through all the regionals, and almost half the hosting teams went into the losers' bracket. Hosting a regional should mean something and should give you an advantage. Hopefully they change those stupid rules at some point.

Anyway, I don't think either team knows how good they are yet. So lets just beat them and then still wonder if they are any good or not. I'm fine with beating a team of unknown goodness.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I want to kill them for that, and the NCAA. How on earth do you host a regional and be the away team twice. How on earth are you the third best 1 seed so you should get the third worst 2 seed (RPI ~30) but you actually get the 2nd best 2 seed (RPI ~18) and the national champs from a few years prior as the 3 seed. Back then I went through all the regionals, and almost half the hosting teams went into the losers' bracket. Hosting a regional should mean something and should give you an advantage. Hopefully they change those stupid rules at some point.

Anyway, I don't think either team knows how good they are yet. So lets just beat them and then still wonder if they are any good or not. I'm fine with beating a team of unknown goodness.
That still pisses me off and to the people that say it doesn't matter, just look at this past weekend. Knowing that you have the last at bat and what you need to win is a huge mental boost.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Not trying to make you guys feel any better, because you have a right to feel the agony from the way last year ended(I’ve been through them with this program many, many times in regionals), although....
going back to the 1980’s when they allowed 64 teams in, we played in places like Fla., Miami, LSU, Miss. St., FSU, Tenn., Wichita St., and had games where we were anointed to be the home team. I’m guessing that’s the way the NCAA tries to even out some of the disparity of being a 2, 3, 4 seed and not having a “true” home-field advantage. We would still lose most of those games, as the crowd was certainly loud and skewed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_baseball

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let's hope:
  1. Maxwell has a quality start and goes 6 innings with 3 or less runs.
  2. We make no errors.
  3. We don't' do stupid things baserunning. It's one thing to be extra aggressive against a semi competent defensive team. uGag made us pay since they are really good defensively.
  4. We get timely hits and run up the pitch count. Auburn has Woffard on Wednesday (yawn) but then SEC opening weekend Texas A&M (14-3). They are less likely to burn good relievers. From Fred's post "The only good team they've played is #12 UCF and Auburn was swept." They have to be worried about how good they are given the low quality of teams they have beaten.
  5. We score more runs. (should have put that first probably)
I plan to buy a growler of beer for the game with yet another type of beer. Have to keep trying to see what works.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Brilliant! You were going to comment that I was perfect in my predictions of wins last week. Between Tenn Tech (.9 game wins predicted) and VT (2.1 games), we won 3.0!

Tonight will be much more difficult, I've got us winning .3 games. That was based on Auburn returning 7 starters and most pitchers from a CWS team. Hitting was a concern in the fall.

In their 13 wins, they've averaged ~9 runs a game. So they can hit. But in their 3 losses to UCF, only 2 runs a game. We hold them to 2 and we'll probably win.

Maxwell looks to make it exciting. 7PM start on SEC Network so listen to Wiley and Nick on WREK. Look for a 3 1/2 hour game?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Brilliant! You were going to comment that I was perfect in my predictions of wins last week. Between Tenn Tech (.9 game wins predicted) and VT (2.1 games), we won 3.0!

Tonight will be much more difficult, I've got us winning .3 games. That was based on Auburn returning 7 starters and most pitchers from a CWS team. Hitting was a concern in the fall.

In their 13 wins, they've averaged ~9 runs a game. So they can hit. But in their 3 losses to UCF, only 2 runs a game. We hold them to 2 and we'll probably win.

Maxwell looks to make it exciting. 7PM start on SEC Network so listen to Wiley and Nick on WREK. Look for a 3 1/2 hour game?
Yes, Nuke. You're awesome. That better? ;)

Auburn has a LHP starting tonight. Anybody think we struggle 'more' v lefties? I cannot find numbers (besides we're 4-2 v lefty starters) to back it up; but that is my feeling. I know VT's pitching coach seemed to game plan that way. I assume Auburn had a choice too; and obviously, went left-handed.

Tidbits of the day. Ga Tech is....

10-0 when opposition scores 5 or fewer runs.
0-5 when opposition scores 6 or more runs.

7-0 when hitting at least 1 HR.
3-5 when failing to leave yard.

https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/2020-Baseball-Game-Notes-Auburn-16-FULL.pdf

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Anybody else want Tech to get a slight bit of revenge on these Tigers w/out a lake?
I’ve been kicking my broom around after Sunday. Won’t be predicting any more sweeps, this season. If I do, I’ll let Fred whack me in the bee-hind with the broom.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Uhh is there no replay? Radcliffe looked safe there. Throw beat him but was way high. His hand definitely looked to have gotten in before the tag got down.