Auburn (Tues) / Mercer (Wed)

Deleted member 2897

giphy.gif

Deleted member 2897

WOW, FRICKING KILLER OF A GAME.

Don't know how I'm going to sleep any time soon. GT beats Auburn 6-4. 3 errors in the last two made it too close.

Signature win.

I know how you're going to sleep:

WITH A BIG FREAKING SMILE ON YOUR FACE.

We just beat the #1 RPI team in the country. T'aint supposed to be easy. We made it more difficult than it should have been, but I'll take 25 more too-close wins please!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I thought it was really good pitching all the way around tonight. Serratos deserved better than what he got. He should have had 2 outs with a runner on second and instead gets hung with 3 unearned runs and probably some broken confidence. @FredJacket My Hurter prediction occurred a little later than I wanted it too, but still, told ya:). I hope that he can build off of that and nail the weekday role down.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Baseball Scouting Report: Mercer | Georgia Tech Sports | The White and Gold http://thewhiteandgold.com/scouting-report-mercer-p1031-251.htm

Interesting quote from Hall in the scouting report. I think this year he really means it. "
"Coach Danny Hall
“We’re going to continue to play around with our lineup. We’re trying to get the right guys in there and reward the guys working hard to get better.”"

Past years have gone more to seniority it seems.

I'd expect a lot of runs given who we used last night and we need to save people for NC State. Datoc will probably only be available Saturday or Sunday? Any ideas on how long? Given what I expect, it'll probably be a 2-1 extra inning game.

No reason to believe that Shirah will be able to go 4 or more with minimal damage. But then again, I didn't see last night's performance by Hurter coming along. 54% strikes are low, but he wasn't hittable. So the low WHIP is what you really want. Plus we made some great defensive plays supporting Hurter... Serratos was only 9/17, just hard to get strikes .... Datoc really showed his leadership by getting the W despite the three errors. Datoc wasn't sharp as usual; 30/47 pitches for 64% strikes and 4 walks in 10 batters. Auburn did a really good job of making him work. Maybe that's why they are so good; set up the conditions to win and become 19-3.

Last edited:

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't post very often. Went to the game last night. Wet in the early evening then cold(still thawing ) , and yes there are GT fielding errors and base running errors but also some very good plays. It was an exciting game to watch in person! I know Auburn is very talented but they also had a strong following of vocal fans. support. If anyone posting or reading this web site can attend tonight and vocally support the Jackets it is much appreciated! You might pick up a T -shirt.
I'll be there tonight ( making noise).

Deleted member 2897

Up next after Mercer is @NC State who is someone like 18-3 and even their losses were very tight. Another tuffy. Nowhere to hide in the ACC.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting quote from Hall in the scouting report. I think this year he really means it. "
"Coach Danny Hall
“We’re going to continue to play around with our lineup. We’re trying to get the right guys in there and reward the guys working hard to get better.”"

Past years have gone more to seniority it seems.

I'd expect a lot of runs given who we used last night and we need to save people for NC State. Datoc will probably only be available Saturday or Sunday? Any ideas on how long? Given what I expect, it'll probably be a 2-1 extra inning game.

No reason to believe that Shirah will be able to go 4 or more with minimal damage. But then again, I didn't see last night's performance by Hurter coming along. 54% strikes are low, but he wasn't hittable. So the low WHIP is what you really want. Plus we made some great defensive plays supporting Hurter... Serratos was only 9/17, just hard to get strikes .... Datoc really showed his leadership by getting the W despite the three errors. Datoc wasn't sharp as usual; 30/47 pitches for 64% strikes and 4 walks in 10 batters. Auburn did a really good job of making him work. Maybe that's why they are so good; set up the conditions to win and become 19-3.
I really like the top of the lineup CDH (and some computer..:)) has assemble the last 2 games. Murray, Bart, Bailey, English, McCann/Johnson in 1st 5 spots. @THWG pointed out the upside of contact and power distribution there as well as increase ABs (very slightly) for Murray and Bart (theoretically). It actually happened last night. Bart came to bat with 2 out in the 8th... the last Ga Tech batter of the night. We've scored runs in the 1st inning in both games with these guys starting things off.

As for 6-9 in the order... I hope that's what CDH is talking about. Right now...it's a parade of freshman and sophomores who act like it. Moments of brilliance peppered with lapses in focus and forgetting the other team has "college talent" all over the field. Colin Hall has been pretty impressive at the plate so far and he has a cannon of an arm. 3B was a concern coming into the season...mainly because of how important that position is defensively. Last night...we won... but Waddell had a tough time in the late innings. His errors were on throws that were not easy...actually, he should have just eaten both throws he threw away. Very easy for me to say when he's making split second decision and wants very badly to "pick up" Datoc who was gassed. It did not bite us last night...and these experiences "should" help him get better. He has made plenty of good/great plays this season. That position is naturally going to require some very difficult plays (particularly throws) to be made. CF seems to still be up for grabs. N.Wilhite is a great defender... but just a big liability right now at the plate. Guldberg (another freshman) is a work in progress.

Deleted member 2897

I'm not going to spend the time to go back and look, but in the Virginia Tech series, I think Chase Murray was something like 8 for 13. I forget the walks. Last night he was 2 for 2 with 3 walks...1.000 on base percentage. So he's now something like 10 for his last 15 with a 0.800 on base percentage. Incredible.