Attrition

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Let's not guess names please or imply certain players won't / can't become a factor. Preseason 14' some might have said that of Chamberlain. He ended up having a pretty damn good year.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
If Eric wasn't taking care of a more important things at home, we'd probably already know by now anyway. Pay site LOL

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Too bad, if Preddy, hoped he would come along in time. He went to a top-notch high school in Charleston, with a good football program (for private-school level) -- same high school as former Falcon FB Ovie Mughelli. As I recall, Preddy was injured early in his senior season in high school, so with that setting him back quite a few months of development, and the d-line numbers and depth at Tech finally getting better, one can certainly understand his transferring if he really wants some significant playing time.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Too bad, if Preddy, hoped he would come along in time. He went to a top-notch high school in Charleston, with a good football program (for private-school level) -- same high school as former Falcon FB Ovie Mughelli. As I recall, Preddy was injured early in his senior season in high school, so with that setting him back quite a few months of development, and the d-line numbers and depth at Tech finally getting better, one can certainly understand his transferring if he really wants some significant playing time.

I thought he was on the offensive line, not defensive. Which is far deeper, so depth issues make sense.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I thought he was on the offensive line, not defensive. Which is far deeper, so depth issues make sense.
That may have been part of his problem. He was moved / talked about back and forth between offensive line and defensive line and never seemed to settle in. I hope he is in good spirits and ready to move on with his life.

Side note to this. If I recall correctly we have had players in the past who did not pan out and decided to give up football and continue their academic careers at Tech. We also have had guys who seemed to care less about what kind of degree they got as long as they had a "full college experience" that involved playing football. I always hope in either case that it does not feel like settling for a second choice but feels like a fresh beginning on the rest of their lives.

"Side note to this. If I recall correctly we have had players in the past who did not pan out and decided to give up football and continue their academic careers at Tech"

Hasn't Tech, since Dodd's days, if not before, kept a player on scholarship as long as he remained in school. If he stays and we do that, then there is no scholarship opening. So either we no longer take that approach, or he's moving on.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
"Side note to this. If I recall correctly we have had players in the past who did not pan out and decided to give up football and continue their academic careers at Tech"

Hasn't Tech, since Dodd's days, if not before, kept a player on scholarship as long as he remained in school. If he stays and we do that, then there is no scholarship opening. So either we no longer take that approach, or he's moving on.
I am only going to answer the Dodd issue, and that is there were no scholarship limits! He carried well over 100 on the ship.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, at any rate, while not disastrous, another shot to depth on the Oline this year. Injuries, attrition...glad we started signing more on the OL. Originally I thought that freshman Will Bryan had no shot this year, but now I am rethinking that he might make the two deep. I said might.
Devine, Chamberlain, Burden, Braun, Fromeyer (sp?), Brigham, Joe, Klock, Brown and Marshall makes 10, but 11-12 may play, especially with injuries. ( Heaven forbid!)

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Well, at any rate, while not disastrous, another shot to depth on the Oline this year. Injuries, attrition...glad we started signing more on the OL. Originally I thought that freshman Will Bryan had no shot this year, but now I am rethinking that he might make the two deep. I said might.
Devine, Chamberlain, Burden, Braun, Fromeyer (sp?), Brigham, Joe, Klock, Brown and Marshall makes 10, but 11-12 may play, especially with injuries. ( Heaven forbid!)

Eric has hinted that Marshall may RS due to undisclosed injury. If so adding Bryan, Stickler, and Whitley makes 12. Walkons who might contribute include Seager, Muns, Anderson, and Yeremian (Seager is a Sr and "knows where to go", Muns played a lot in the Spring, Anderson has been in the system, and Yeremian has the size for upside but is the least experienced). If Marshall RS our biggest concern would be C backup, although Brigham seemed to do well in the Spring. Overall we are still in good shape in the OL and adding Griffin and Marshall (and B Morgan) in 2016 to help replace our 2015 OL Seniors would be a solid reload.