Attendance and Atmosphere

devcon

Georgia Tech Fan
That’s weird about student engagement. During the ND game I and the area around me at least (I was down in section 113, only a few rows up from the court) were making noise, banging on the stands, etc. I guess the rest of the section was dead.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
That’s weird about student engagement. During the ND game I and the area around me at least (I was down in section 113, only a few rows up from the court) were making noise, banging on the stands, etc. I guess the rest of the section was dead.
I heard some of the banging on the stands in the 2nd half and some "drone oh's" but it was a really small part of the section for sure. Y'all crushed it during the Duke game though - definitely gave the team an energy lift and caused some panic/chaos on the Duke side that won us the game, especially late when we went down 4. CDS said post-game that it helped but also that we need it there all the time. I think we win the BC game without some of the officiating at the end too - good crowd last Saturday.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
This is an aside about the atmosphere, but we need to dump that emcee. Bring back Ms. Basketball from the Duke game - I'm sure it being the Duke game helped but she got the crowd way more fired up than the current guy.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
This is an aside about the atmosphere, but we need to dump that emcee. Bring back Ms. Basketball from the Duke game - I'm sure it being the Duke game helped but she got the crowd way more fired up than the current guy.

Me, my wife, and both kids said the same thing. She was great.

There was also a game where we had no male cheerleaders so the girls had the megaphones, and they were much better than the guys. Probably the higher pitch of their voices or something, but you could hear them much better than the guys.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was out at a local watering hole catching up with some buddies yesterday. An older gentleman overheard me talking about the Duke game, and he started talking about his visits to GT to watch us play in the 90's when it was Alexander Memorial. This guy is originally from New Jersey, and said he moved down here for work (like most people these days) and would be in regular attendance at GT games because "it was the place to be...even more so than going to Hawks games with Dominique". I've actually heard that quite often from people on the radio and other people in conversation over the years. Steak Shapiro, a local sports radio guy, says it all the time.

If you want to know the potential of GT basketball in terms of attracting "sidewalk" fans, and how far we've fallen since the 90's, that conversation encapsulates how much work we need to do.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I was out at a local watering hole catching up with some buddies yesterday. An older gentleman overheard me talking about the Duke game, and he started talking about his visits to GT to watch us play in the 90's when it was Alexander Memorial. This guy is originally from New Jersey, and said he moved down here for work (like most people these days) and would be in regular attendance at GT games because "it was the place to be...even more so than going to Hawks games with Dominique". I've actually heard that quite often from people on the radio and other people in conversation over the years. Steak Shapiro, a local sports radio guy, says it all the time.

If you want to know the potential of GT basketball in terms of attracting "sidewalk" fans, and how far we've fallen since the 90's, that conversation encapsulates how much work we need to do.
yep, I always thought that the success of the Hawks worked against Tech in bball.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
yep, I always thought that the success of the Hawks worked against Tech in bball.
Actually I don’t think that was true. In the mid-late 80’s Tech and the Hawks were both good and both drew well at home. For those not fortunate enough to be in the Thrillerdome in those years, it was electric. Students would wait for hours in a line down the street back to Peters to get in. They literally squeezed people in, telling everyone to move over through the PA system. Our problem is we have sucked for so long, we don’t know how to get that energy back. Winning will cure attendance for BB, I am not so sure it will for FB.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

A big part of this is that there wasn't a bad seat in the house. At the Omni, you could be in the nose-bleed seats and it looked like you were watching the game on a 4-inch portable TV (for those of you old enough to remember how bad that was, but better than nothing).

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
A big part of this is that there wasn't a bad seat in the house. At the Omni, you could be in the nose-bleed seats and it looked like you were watching the game on a 4-inch portable TV (for those of you old enough to remember how bad that was, but better than nothing).
I don't think that's it because I've sat in all corners of the Whisperdome and the view is great everywhere and still nobody attends. I do wish we had chopped the upper deck seating though and just lowered the roof - something akin to what Houston has with the Fertitta Center

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that's it because I've sat in all corners of the Whisperdome and the view is great everywhere and still nobody attends. I do wish we had chopped the upper deck seating though and just lowered the roof - something akin to what Houston has with the Fertitta Center
I don't know what the Whisperdome is, but if you're talking about McCamish Pavillion, that wasn't my point. I was talking about why Tech games were better to watch than the Hawks with the Human Highlight Film. Games at the Omni sucked. I agree that McCamish is as good a place to watch as AMC was.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
The Whisperdome. I’ve never heard that before, but it’s perfect. Much more apt than the Thrillerdome. I will bite my tongue other than to say GT fans are lame as $hit. With 33 seconds on the clock in a close bball game against uva tonight with our boys trying to mount a late game come back, I was told to sit down so the able bodied 40 something stiff behind me could see That is all. Carry on.

P.s. uva got their first road win of the season in the whisperdome after losing their previous 4 road games by an average margin of 20 points. What a $hitty home court GT has. Whisperdome indeed.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The Whisperdome. I’ve never heard that before, but it’s perfect. Much more apt than the Thrillerdome. I will bite my tongue other than to say GT fans are lame as $hit. With 33 seconds on the clock in a close bball game against uva tonight with our boys trying to mount a late game come back, I was told to sit down so the able bodied 40 something stiff behind me could see That is all. Carry on.

P.s. uva got their first road win of the season in the whisperdome after losing their previous 4 road games by an average margin of 20 points. What a $hitty home court GT has. Whisperdome indeed.
I think 3 straight losses to BC, ND, and UVA says it all. The Whisperdome is not an intimidating place to play in and is full of away fans who are louder/more enthusiastic than the home crowd game in and game out. That is somewhat the nature of playing in a metropolitan, transient city. Opponents come in and can build lots of confidence from the get go.

The potential is there, sadly we don’t make the most of it. Students were good tonight at least. Maybe it changes if we start winning.