Atlanta sports media coverage of GT football

Jmonty71

Banned
Ken Sugiura has been doing an outstanding job this year. I just hope they don't move him to cover something else.
I think Ken does a really good job, covering all of GT's sporting events. He does so without any bias, which is what we look for. To me, he is one of the MOST talented writers at the AJC. I think he is really undervalued.

Jmonty71

Banned
GT will get air time, if they start winning. Face it, TV, radio, newspapers, media and even some fans follow teams that win. It draws in that that thing called ratings. There are more people that are going to talk about a UGA QB controversy, over GT winning the first 3 games. Heck....even IF we beat Clemson.... The words will be... "What's wrong with Clemson, before saying GT is better". You see if everywhere. The Braves win, the stadium gets more packed, the media picks up. The Braves have a crummy season, the fans disappear and the media finds other things to report on.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
GT will get air time, if they start winning. Face it, TV, radio, newspapers, media and even some fans follow teams that win. It draws in that that thing called ratings. There are more people that are going to talk about a UGA QB controversy, over GT winning the first 3 games. Heck....even IF we beat Clemson.... The words will be... "What's wrong with Clemson, before saying GT is better". You see if everywhere. The Braves win, the stadium gets more packed, the media picks up. The Braves have a crummy season, the fans disappear and the media finds other things to report on.
Exactly, this year it's almost September, and the radio shows lead with the Braves. Why? Because they win.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly, this year it's almost September, and the radio shows lead with the Braves. Why? Because they win.

What you are not accounting for is the ceiling. Tech can win (and has in the recent past) and because of fanbase size (reality or perception) Tech's coverage will lag behind nearly all other local teams.
Additionally, I have heard from those in sport talk radio that the dwag hoarde is not shy about complaining and threatening when Tech's coverage starts to rise too much.
Same guy told me that the quickest path to bankruptcy in the Atlanta sports market is to be seen to favor Tech over the dwags.....regardless of record.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
What you are not accounting for is the ceiling. Tech can win (and has in the recent past) and because of fanbase size (reality or perception) Tech's coverage will lag behind nearly all other local teams.
Additionally, I have heard from those in sport talk radio that the dwag hoarde is not shy about complaining and threatening when Tech's coverage starts to rise too much.
Same guy told me that the quickest path to bankruptcy in the Atlanta sports market is to be seen to favor Tech over the dwags.....regardless of record.
Unfortunately we don't have the fan base size to counter punch in a similar manner. Hence my suggestion of paying for air time. I like sports talk and I refuse to listen during the shows specifically aimed at the puppies, like their roubdtable or press conference. The pups can grow up and change the dial for 10 minutes too during similar segments for us.