Atlanta sports media coverage of GT football

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
What do you think of the coverage Tech football gets in Atlanta? I think Ken Sugiura does a great job. I'm not subscribed to the Athletic so I dont know what they are saying. Atlanta sports talk radio is trash. They never talk GT football unless they are making fun of Paul Johnson or the offense.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
What do you think of the coverage Tech football gets in Atlanta? I think Ken Sugiura does a great job. I'm not subscribed to the Athletic so I dont know what they are saying. Atlanta sports talk radio is trash. They never talk GT football unless they are making fun of Paul Johnson or the offense.

Driving to work in the morning, 92.9 the game RECENTLY has been talking more and more about GT. I think they realized they have georgia state games and how bad of an investment that is. Maybe adding more GT in Hope's to pick them up.

Saturday's there aren't many air jockeys on so they focus on covering games more. Uga at night gt at noon is a good line up, and Visa versa.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Driving to work in the morning, 92.9 the game RECENTLY has been talking more and more about GT. I think they realized they have georgia state games and how bad of an investment that is. Maybe adding more GT in Hope's to pick them up.

Saturday's there aren't many air jockeys on so they focus on covering games more. Uga at night gt at noon is a good line up, and Visa versa.

How did GState end up w 92.9 and we have AM Stations that you can’t hear outside the perimeter after dark????? Are we tied to a contract that we can’t get out of w/ our broadcast partner?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Has anyone tried the “white and gold”?

I understand it is produced by a GT man, but I don’t subscribe. Curious if it is any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I subscribed to The Athletic when they started college hoops coverage. I don't have time to read it enough, but the content has been good at minimum from the jump.

Since Kirschner joined, his articles have been very good without the gotcha attempts that I personally think Ken tries to pull.

It's been a great product if you have multiple sports interests and sometimes you'll find a great article you didn't know you'd be interested in.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I've loved my Athletic subscription. And they actually seem to like GT a fair bit, with several writers predicting good things for our season. When I listen to 92.9 all I hear is "7-5 at best" followed by snide comments about our program, coach(es), or school. Whereas The Athletic has Kirschner pumping out great articles every other day or so, Jeff Schultz thinking we'll win the division, and other authors thinking we'll go 9-3. I feel like local media has to cater too much to the dawgs, so they purposefully undervalue or put down GT whenever possible to satisfy them. National media like the Athletic removes that bias and leaves writers to their own opinions as long as the quality is high.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
sports talk radio in atlanta has been, is now and forever will be abysmal. it is an utter waste of time.
I just hope Ken at the ajc can hang in there.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
How did GState end up w 92.9 and we have AM Stations that you can’t hear outside the perimeter after dark????? Are we tied to a contract that we can’t get out of w/ our broadcast partner?

I assume because of more $ for GT , or typical stupidity on our part.

Remember we hung with Russell for so long because of $, without considering the negative that came along with it. Short sighted.

Your original question might very well be directed toTStan.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

Remember we hung with Russell for so long because of $, without considering the negative that came along with it. Short sighted.

Again GT fails miserably to realize you have to spend money to make money. You have to reinvest in the program. Possibly even pull funds from other programs to fund your bread and butter. Oh well, they will understand eventually. I think stans understands

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I admit I don’t recall the exact details of the Russell deal, but as I recall, the GTAA was fairly well desperate for money. That a program that won multiple NC’s fell into disrepair is nothing short of a crime.

I’m optimistic. The legacy costs will roll off and with the new fundraising... Tech could be in phenomenal shape is 4-5 years.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Lile we did with the swich to adidas, the next time that the radio deal comes up, everything needs to be on the line, up to and including being willing to spend endowment income on buying better segment time, not just ad time.

With 680 we should at the very least have 2-days with a Yellow Jacket Roundtable, and they should carry CPJ's and CJP's weekly media briefings. There should also be various weekly interviews with people like ADTS that get replayed across all time blocks.

This is the only way that we're going to make headway against the radio dial. As the radio dial makes headway, we'll start to get additional coverage in the paper and blogs, and we'll start to sway the undecideds.

Sell the brand, talk the team, spend the money. Make the same type of headway in the next media deal and we'll start righting the ship.