Athlon ACC Prediction

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
make-it-rain-guys.gif

Athlon is just trying to make money! That is why we are always picked 3rd or 4th. It's all about the Benjamins. I think the only time we have been picked to finish higher than 3rd was in 2009.

Animal02

Banned
With what we later learned about issues with Vad's buy-in last year it makes you wonder why TB or JT did not play more, I assume that CPJ still felt that Vad gave us the best chance to win which is scary given what CPJ knew.

However.....JT has now had that many more practices and snaps to mesh with the system........you also have to wonder how much the "changing of the system" to accommodate Vad, disrupted what JT could have done...................

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
However.....JT has now had that many more practices and snaps to mesh with the system........you also have to wonder how much the "changing of the system" to accommodate Vad, disrupted what JT could have done...................

Good coaches adapt their system to the skills of the players they have, and to the opponent matchups. Very few college coaches have the luxury of simply plugging players into their preferred system. It's not the NFL, where you draft the type of players that you want for your system, or sign them in free agency. At most schools, you get the best athletes you can, and then you decide on the best system for them.

Friedgen might come out in 4 wide, he might come out in 2 tight end, or as he did in a Gator Bowl, he might come out in wishbone. That's the type of system flexibility it takes to win at a school like GT.

A system won't win football games at this level. It is a matter of creating matchups that give you the best chance to win. Gailey had too much of an NFL mentality with his system--he rarely threw over the middle, for example, which is an NFL point of view. Johnson does a good job of changing blocking schemes during a game, but overall, the system is just too limiting.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Johnson plugged our entire roster into his system the first two years he was here. I seem to recall that working out ok.

Its not about the system - its about having good football players.

If I have better players than you then I'm going to win most of the time regardless of my system or lack of one or your system or lack of one.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Johnson plugged our entire roster into his system the first two years he was here. I seem to recall that working out ok.

If I have better players than you then I'm going to win most of the time regardless of my system or lack of one or your system or lack of one.
Actually, it's the combination of both that results in excellence. There's plenty of teams with talent that suck.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

We agree--it's not about the system. But some systems fit some players better than they fit others. Vad Lee was talented, but he will be better off in a different system.

With recruiting limitations in college, a good coach will adapt what he does to his available talent and to the match ups he thinks he can win. This is especially important at a school like GT, as Friedgen showed.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Switch us and Pitt, and it looks pretty accurate. 8-4 is easily attainable with this schedule. Anything less will be highly disappointing.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think we'll be 8-3 going into Thanksgiving weekend. Any worse than that and I'll be disappointed. We should be 3-0 going into the VT/Miami stretch. I think we will pull one of those two out this year and drop the other to be at 4-1. We should beat Duke. I know they're good, but they don't really have the athletes to stop our offense. I don't see this being the year that we lose to them again. We may fall to UNC or Pitt, that would put us at 5-2, then we beat UVA and NC State and probably lose to Clemson for 8-3. I know we've had Clemson's number in the past, but they've got incredible athletes right now.

Hopefully the Jackets will surprise me, but if we're 8-3 going to Athens, I'll feel pretty good. I think the pups will have a down year this year. Everyone is expecting a lot, but they've had a ton of off-field issues and they're basically starting a new QB. If they have any injuries like they did last year they could have some serious problems.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Why is this so difficult to understand????