Athletic Director's Update

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
And to add, so when I read folks that say we can get those 4 and 5 star recruits that go to bama and UGA.......yea right. And this argument is why I think CPJ is the coach for us and why we will be better off with him and his offense. I read that our upcoming opponent has drills just for getting ready to play us. Do you think they would be doing that if we ran the typical pass happy offense. No
We're under .500 the past 4 years for a reason. We got NFL caliber talent in the past

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
We're under .500 the past 4 years for a reason. We got NFL caliber talent in the past

We had a second rounder on the DL in 2015 for most of the year. Didn't help. We also had 3 nfl DBs. (White, Milton and Johnson all ended up on nfl rosters for a certain amount of time, with i think white and milton still on them).

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes, but....compare the top teams year in and year out with the top recruiting classes. I’ll bet there’s a correlation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is absolutely a correlation. Recruiting services depend heavily on the offer sheets of factories to determining which top recruits are blue chippers. Ergo, the best schools, which are the best because they recruit the best talent for their scheme, tend to get higher recruiting rankings. That's why you see high 3 star players get a significant recruiting bump when a major school offers.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd be happier if Autry was still on the team. And Mills. And Custis. But cpj can't seem to keep the stud rbs on the team. Setting records on bad teams ain't all it's cracked up to be.
WTF does CPJ have to do with keeping Mills, Autry and Custis on the team? He deserves a lot of the blame for what's going on with the team's record but seriously? He's responsible for those 3 guys?

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Have you looked at a current course catalog to see what calculus class (singular) liberal arts and business majors take at Tech? I betting the answer is no.

My daughter was in the Ivan Allen College, which I assume is the "liberal arts" major you refer to. She took Survey of Calculus: a single course less rigorous than Management majors take. My son was a Management Major, and his calculus was more challenging and there was probably more than one required. Any SA of reasonable intelligence in an IAC major has a very good chance of passing.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
WTF does CPJ have to do with keeping Mills, Autry and Custis on the team? He deserves a lot of the blame for what's going on with the team's record but seriously? He's responsible for those 3 guys?

Not that I disagree but I do want to point out if you want to give credit to the headcoach for graduating players then shouldn't he also catch the blame when the opposite happens? EIther way I would but it primarily on the players (and an assist to the academic support staff) in both cases.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
That's a double-edged sword though.

It's almost like we're every team's Super Bowl, in that regard. They prep for us over the spring, summer and every week in the fall. The only other teams that get that kind of attention are the Bamas of the world. Difference is, they have the athletes to overcome a wider margin of error. We have athletes but nowhere near the depth they have so our margin for error becomes something close to 0.

I'm all for being unique so I'm not an anti-CPJ guy. However, I do think he hasn't done as good a job the last few years so I think it's fair for folks to complain about him.

I just hope they understand that, if CPJ is gone, it's not like we're gonna suddenly morph into a football factory because we end up with some passy offense.
Exactly, Nobody wants to get embarrassed by a triple-o team so they put in extra work to beat us, that sux for us

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
My daughter was in the Ivan Allen College, which I assume is the "liberal arts" major you refer to. She took Survey of Calculus: a single course less rigorous than Management majors take. My son was a Management Major, and his calculus was more challenging and there was probably more than one required. Any SA of reasonable intelligence in an IAC major has a very good chance of passing.

It has nothing to do with the difficulty of the class. Even the normal calc 1 class is easy. It is simply because they HAVE to take it. That is what creates the negative recruiting angle.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

When did she graduate? I was there 2003-2007 in the same program. We had to have the survey course you mentioned (or test out via AP credits) then also a finite math course which was admittedly not crazy difficult. That said the remaining course load was intense enough that many people who entered with us didn’t make it out. Maybe 30% of my freshman friends group inside iac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
When did she graduate? I was there 2003-2007 in the same program. We had to have the survey course you mentioned (or test out via AP credits) then also a finite math course which was admittedly not crazy difficult. That said the remaining course load was intense enough that many people who entered with us didn’t make it out. Maybe 30% of my freshman friends group inside iac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She graduated 12/2008. She had a few football players in her classes (e.g., Gary Guyton, Taylor Bennett). I don't believe they had any issues with the classwork.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
She graduated 12/2008. She had a few football players in her classes (e.g., Gary Guyton, Taylor Bennett). I don't believe they had any issues with the classwork.
Small world, I likely had some classes with her as well then. we were a pretty small program when it first started.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
There is zero chance GT will expand offerings. We had something like 36,000 applications this year. 8000 acceptances and 3000 enroll. We could and arguably should double the size of the classes of our existing majors with the quality of students applying. We might even get a full student section at football games out of it!

LibertyTurns

Banned
There is zero chance GT will expand offerings. We had something like 36,000 applications this year. 8000 acceptances and 3000 enroll. We could and arguably should double the size of the classes of our existing majors with the quality of students applying. We might even get a full student section at football games out of it!
Maybe the admissions office can start giving applicants extra points for the number of GT games they’ve attended in their life????? They could also start doling our scholarship money the same way. Extra credit for attending away games.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
A lot of you folks will not like what I have to say in this thread. It needs to be said,m however. I also intend to write essentially the same thoughts in a letter or email to Stansbury.

By way of background, I am a GT alum and have held GT season tickets for over 30 years now. I have absolutely loved GT football over the years and been (imho, of course...LOL) a loyal supporter. I am not a big $ donor, but a consistent small $ donor.

I had the choice this past Saturday of attending the GT-Duke homecoming game....or the LSU-Georgia game in Baton Rouge. I decided to go to Baton Rouge. I am SO glad that I did. Judging from the comments and write-ups I have seen, it sounds like GT was the same old GT that I have grown so so tired of seeing. A one-dimensional offense....which like ALL one-dimensional offenses can look great when you are playing inferior teams but is in trouble when you play a defense with a pulse. GT simply must, must learn how to have an effective passing attack. Watching this team play without a passing threat is painful, and I find I simply can not do it anymore.

The contrast of being in a sold-out Death Valley and cheering on a team that plays big boy football (and can match the Dawgs in physicality) was amazing. It appears to my untrained eyes that GT can no longer match Duke in physicality. LSU was able to succeed, but ONLY because UGa was never able to know what the Tiger offense was going to do. Their balance between running and passing was key. While I am not saying that GT has to pass as much as a 'standard' offense, they must be able to pass much more effectively and at least a bit more often than they do now to establish that passing threat correctly and keep defenses off balance.

Overall, the GT football program the last 4 years has sunk to a level that makes it unappealing for me to attend anymore. While certainly, I put some of the blame on the head coach, the problems certainly look like they go deeper to me. Our inability to recruit in this modern age is a serious...no, an enormous handicap. It sure looks to me like we can no longer seriously aspire to be competitive with Georgia or Clemson......and in fact, by all appearances we have sunk below Duke and into the bottom tier of ACC football programs. I think most rational observers would say we are on our way to a second straight losing season without a bowl, but more importantly, we simply cannot beat ANY Power 5 football team unless we play error-free and execute crisply.

Many of the problems GT faces are not of this coaches making. I find it very frustrating to read posts that say simplistic things like "O'Leary could recruit better"....it was a different world back then, folks. Just stop it with the simplistic solutions. While I obviously have problems with our head coach as cited above, the bigger issues that are plaguing GT are NOT his problems and will NOT be solved by firing CPJ.

This school has to decide if it wants to play big boy football. Those of you in the fan base who argue that 'GT is different' and that 'we will never sacrifice academic integrity for football' should be prohibited from complaining about results, imho. You are dooming a once proud program with a long history to the doldrums of Tulane, or perhaps Vanderbilt. You will lose fans like me, over the course of time. It takes a lot for me to wander away from GT football, but when I realize we can no longer realistically compete at the top levels, I lose faith, interest and desire. Under Gailey, we were horrid on offense but with the athletes we had we were still able to compete with most teams on any given Saturday. (His inability to beat UGa was inexcusable and got him fired.)

GT has to make changes, starting with changes at the very top, things that only Peterson can shove through the BOR, to compete effectively. This team is not merely one decent QB away forn competing. One decent QB would make us competitive with Duke, and Virginia....but we need more than that to be able to survive and thrive.

GT is in a town with many alternatives. GT needs to be able to grow its fan base, both so it can grow its revenue stream, but also so it can make the home stadium an electric and exciting place to play. The way things have been going the last 4 years, the opposite is happening. Not only are we NOT attracting the sidewalk college fans who might otherwise take an interest and become GT fans, we are in fact, slowly losing longtime fans like me. Many simply decide they won't go anywhere. A smaller number decide they have a rooting interest with other teams (in my case, where I grew up).

GT needs to take a serious and deep look at itself. Four new guys helping with recruiting won't turn this around. Firing CPJ won't turn this around. Even Stansbury cannot solve this by himself. He is doing the right things in trying to raise much more serious money, but in fact until I see GT address its fundamental issues, I am not willing to commit serious money to this program. GT now must prove to me that it is serious about playing big boy football, and if it is not willing to do that...fine. But don't expect me to contribute to a program that is saying we will not compete at the highest levels because "we're different". Join Navy's conference and have fun. Continue down this path and drive away fans like me.

Oh, and by the way, LSU fans HATED having a day game as well :)