At WF, 3/5/2024 1st of Last Two Regular Season Games

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I got home late, turned the game on at 18s remaining to see Wake take their first lead and then watch BN cash the win! Did I miss anything else interesting......
Toronto Raptors Mic Drop GIF by Voidz

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Explain this

Got on here to post that. It's what I've been saying all year: GT has a high ceiling, but also a very low floor.

Testament to Stoudamire's high upside, but also a caution that it could also get ugly.

I don't think anyone wants to face us in the ACC tournament...certainly not anyone in the later rounds if we can make it that far.

ACC tournament champs and automatic NCAAT bid?! Dare to dream...

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Got on here to post that. It's what I've been saying all year: GT has a high ceiling, but also a very low floor.

Testament to Stoudamire's high upside, but also a caution that it could also get ugly.

I don't think anyone wants to face us in the ACC tournament...certainly not anyone in the later rounds if we can make it that far.

ACC tournament champs and automatic NCAAT bid?! Dare to dream...
I said this in the chat during the game. And like the guy I am quoting, I will say it again.

Pastner liked to say we have a small margin of error. This team has the smallest margin of error of any I have seen. When they play hard for an entire game they can beat the best teams. If they coast just a little bit they can lose to Louisville or worse.

Cremins had some teams that were similar but not to this extreme. Those were due to the very short bench he used. This is a different and strange deal.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Woo Hoo! Great win. DESPITE the huge difference in FT attempts. Home cooking. George's penetration floaters are a thing of beauty. Haven't seen a GT player ever be that good. 2nd half they brought that pressure that we have trouble with. George being the only one capable of one on one drives inside the paint. Future is bright people.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Three in a row!!! Great road win, especially knowing that Wake hasn’t lost one there all season. We were 15-20 points better tonight, except the fact that we simply don’t take care of the ball. I don’t know why other teams don’t press us the whole game. Our guards run to those corners every time to receive the ball for some reason. Nevertheless, we came through in the end. I thought the Kelly miss at the top of the key late in the game was the crack they needed, but Ndongo with a big time shot. It’s so nice when Kelly is rolling like that. Seems to open everything else up. Now let’s take it to UVA and go into the ACC tourney with some serious momentum.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The Wake board (and Steve Forbes) are focused on Kelly tripping and not getting called for traveling. I think it was one of those close plays that have to be called in a split second. To be a traveling violation a player has to have control of the ball. When Kelly slipped he briefly lost control of the ball and did not retain uncontested possession before the tie-up. I think it was a good call by the refs. Now, the turnover by Kyle? That was a missed call.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
After a night of sleep and thinking some more about it I feel like this was our best game of the year. Wake Forest continuously put pressure on the ball handler during the game. Rarely were any of our players left with uncontested shots or unrestricted movement. It was relentless through the whole game. Wake Forest made adjustments during halftime that made it even harder to get our pick and roll game working smoothly.

But we stayed disciplined, stayed with the game plan and didn’t just start throwing up bad shots. We continued to play hard but with patience looking to break down the defense. Wake Forest didn’t give us anything easy and we still generated offense.

Wake Forest didn’t give up on defense and they stayed very active moving the ball on offense. I kept waiting for us to lose focus and intensity on defense as sometimes has happened in the past. We didn’t “get bored” on defense. We stayed disciplined and our body language stayed energetic.

We could complain about our turnovers or our fouls but I won’t. Neither occurred due to sloppy or careless play. We were pushing our effort to the next level, playing hard and playing fast. Every player contributed something in this game, especially intangibles that won’t show up in score sheet but which made their teammates better.

This was our best game this year because it was the most complete effort I’ve seen the team give from buzzer to buzzer. Was especially proud that after Ndongo made the winning basket we were not caught napping on defense. Every player immediately went into position to pressure the ball on defense. No mental breakdowns in this game to speak of. None of the kind that usually send us into long scoring droughts or cause us to start giving up easy baskets in bunches.

This was a really fine effort.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I got home late, turned the game on at 18s remaining to see Wake take their first lead and then watch BN cash the win! Did I miss anything else interesting......
Toronto Raptors Mic Drop GIF by Voidz
Blew a big lead and then had some adventures trying to inbound the ball during their late comeback. It sure got interesting at the end. That would have been a tough loss after having that big lead. You missed some really really bad officiating IMO.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
After a night of sleep and thinking some more about it I feel like this was our best game of the year. Wake Forest continuously put pressure on the ball handler during the game. Rarely were any of our players left with uncontested shots or unrestricted movement. It was relentless through the whole game. Wake Forest made adjustments during halftime that made it even harder to get our pick and roll game working smoothly.

But we stayed disciplined, stayed with the game plan and didn’t just start throwing up bad shots. We continued to play hard but with patience looking to break down the defense. Wake Forest didn’t give us anything easy and we still generated offense.

Wake Forest didn’t give up on defense and they stayed very active moving the ball on offense. I kept waiting for us to lose focus and intensity on defense as sometimes has happened in the past. We didn’t “get bored” on defense. We stayed disciplined and our body language stayed energetic.

We could complain about our turnovers or our fouls but I won’t. Neither occurred due to sloppy or careless play. We were pushing our effort to the next level, playing hard and playing fast. Every player contributed something in this game, especially intangibles that won’t show up in score sheet but which made their teammates better.

This was our best game this year because it was the most complete effort I’ve seen the team give from buzzer to buzzer. Was especially proud that after Ndongo made the winning basket we were not caught napping on defense. Every player immediately went into position to pressure the ball on defense. No mental breakdowns in this game to speak of. None of the kind that usually send us into long scoring droughts or cause us to start giving up easy baskets in bunches.

This was a really fine effort.

Great post. Ngl, at first I thought I was gonna have to hit you with one of these ..

picard too long didnt read GIF

... but you did a nice job of keeping the pace going. The ball didn't stick to one side of the court. No 'Antonelli' moments of lunacy. You had a plan and stuck with it. Gameball to you, sir. :)