As Good As I Feel After Today's Win...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Good question. My fast perusal of the Top 50 Technological Universities says ... 28 also have Division I football.

Actually it's more like 5 of the top 21. Hmmm.... not a football factory among them. And we easily have the best football program of that crowd. What's the point of this.... it's not easy being a world class STEM school and a world class football program. There ain't none that do both. Stanford is as close as you're gonna get, but they don't even qualify, imo, because of their diversity of majors.
  1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
  2. United States Naval Academy
  3. Cornell University
  4. Rice University
  5. United States Air Force Academy
  6. California Institute of Technology
  7. Harvey Mudd College
  8. Carnegie Mellon University
  9. Johns Hopkins University
  10. Georgia Institute of Technology
  11. Cooper Union
  12. Case Western Reserve University
  13. United States Coast Guard Academy
  14. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
  15. Colorado School of Mines
  16. Worcester Polytechnic Institute
  17. California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
  18. University of Portland
  19. Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
  20. North Carolina State University, Raleigh
  21. Clarkson University
The STEM qualifier is quite liberal, imo. It is defined as schools "whose most popular areas of study included at least 40% in STEM."
I guess that's how NCState qualified.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/cartercoudriet/2016/07/07/top-stem-colleges-of-2016/#5a38809660c6

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Actually it's more like 5 of the top 21. Hmmm.... not a football factory among them. And we easily have the best football program of that crowd. What's the point of this.... it's not easy being a world class STEM school and a world class football program. There ain't none that do both. Stanford is as close as you're gonna get, but they don't even qualify, imo, because of their diversity of majors.

The STEM qualifier is quite liberal, imo. It is defined as schools "whose most popular areas of study included at least 40% in STEM."
I guess that's how NCState qualified.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/cartercoudriet/2016/07/07/top-stem-colleges-of-2016/#5a38809660c6

I suppose it's what list you use.

The bottom line is you have to decide what you want. If the goal is to be a Top FBS program, that takes at least $100MM in revenue and an organizational infrastructure to deliver on that. If the goal is to have a program appropriate for a Top Technological University (based on whatever list), ok ... that's an angle. Or ... maybe it's just to be competitive within the ACC. Also an option.

My long term concern is this ... it is not going to get any easier. There has to a definition of what Tech athletics are, what it takes to support that definition, and the infrastructure and funding to deliver on it. Personally, having grown up within the Auburn-Bama dynamic ... I would love that. The Tech-Georgia rivalry though, pales in comparison. IMHO.

My opinion is this ... I think Tech, if it wanted to be a Top 25 team (football), could do it. I remember all the soul searching back in the early 80's about dropping down and no one wanted to do it and then ... the checkbooks opened. We could do it ... if we were organized. That's all.

I'm now back to looking forward to Clemson.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I suppose it's what list you use.

The bottom line is you have to decide what you want. If the goal is to be a Top FBS program, that takes at least $100MM in revenue and an organizational infrastructure to deliver on that. If the goal is to have a program appropriate for a Top Technological University (based on whatever list), ok ... that's an angle. Or ... maybe it's just to be competitive within the ACC. Also an option.

My long term concern is this ... it is not going to get any easier. There has to a definition of what Tech athletics are, what it takes to support that definition, and the infrastructure and funding to deliver on it. Personally, having grown up within the Auburn-Bama dynamic ... I would love that. The Tech-Georgia rivalry though, pales in comparison. IMHO.

My opinion is this ... I think Tech, if it wanted to be a Top 25 team (football), could do it. I remember all the soul searching back in the early 80's about dropping down and no one wanted to do it and then ... the checkbooks opened. We could do it ... if we were organized. That's all.

I'm now back to looking forward to Clemson.
MBob's biggest achievement while here was working on the vision statement for GT athletics. I don' know if it was ever made public though.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
That's where I was as well...the first few rows were reserved for the Rats, iirc. Then the remainder will filled based on when you arrived at the game. I believe we had more students in the stands, I think we filled the Lower Deck from the 25 or so back into the end zone, all the way to the top (30 rows?)....but that is only my impression. Seniors sat in the same area in the Upper Deck, iirc.

sounds about right

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
MBob's biggest achievement while here was working on the vision statement for GT athletics. I don' know if it was ever made public though.
Have to love that achievement[emoji6] ...
Will be interesting to see if TD (even the initials scream football) is able to pump up GTAA in the eyes of Atlanta/Georgia/the Southeast/Nation/world.