As Good As I Feel After Today's Win...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have to note that:
  1. Vandy did give up nearly 500 yards to Middle Tennessee, so I am not sure today's win over them tells us much more than last year's convincing win over Tulane;
  2. I note that VPI&SU is currently crushing Boston College 42-0. Yes, that Boston College that some folks said might have the 2nd best defense we would face all season;
  3. Pitt looks pretty solid in playing Okie State tough in Stillwater.....(they are tied 38-38 as I type)
  4. UNC is dominating offensively. Again. (OK, so it's James Madison, but still...)
  5. Miami obliterated App State in Boone, NC today by 45-10
My conclusions? The win against BC is not nearly as impressive as we had hoped. The win over Vanderbilt is likely not going to be impressive either. The schedule looks tough with Clemson, Miami and Pitt the next 3 games, and road games against UNC, VPI&SU and UGa later this year look like huge challenges.

We are 3-0 and wins against Duke, UVa and Georgia Southern seem likely. After that, it is anyone's guess. We could be anywhere from 6-6 to 10-2.

I'll take where we are, but I still have tons of questions.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We are 3-0 .

we are indeed 3-0. Enjoy that. Has there ever been a season where we (or anybody not named OSU or Bama) didn't have questions after 3 games? Other teams who have questions as of this date: Ole Miss, FSU, Tennessee, Uga, VT, Oklahoma, USC, etc. Heck if Bama gets beat, its tied at this moment, won't they have questions as well - after all, Ole Miss was taken to the woodshed by FSO. Etc., etc.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Even our 1990 National Championship team tied a 6-4 UNC team. Not saying we are near that caliber but you will never go through a complete season playing perfect ball. Just not realistic

Eli

Helluva Engineer
The sars really have to align for just about any team to go undefeated.

Especially at Tech. We don't get the 5 stars the factories get and the academic side is like no other factory school. I think we will be a very good offensive team this year, defense is a work in progress but you can tell we do have some great athletes on this team and it'll be fun to watch them grow.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have to note that:
  1. Vandy did give up nearly 500 yards to Middle Tennessee, so I am not sure today's win over them tells us much more than last year's convincing win over Tulane;
  2. I note that VPI&SU is currently crushing Boston College 42-0. Yes, that Boston College that some folks said might have the 2nd best defense we would face all season;
  3. Pitt looks pretty solid in playing Okie State tough in Stillwater.....(they are tied 38-38 as I type)
  4. UNC is dominating offensively. Again. (OK, so it's James Madison, but still...)
My conclusions? The win against BC is not nearly as impressive as we had hoped. The win over Vanderbilt is likely not going to be impressive either. The schedule looks tough with Clemson, Miami and Pitt the next 3 games, and road games against UNC, VPI&SU and UGa later this year look like huge challenges.

We are 3-0 and wins against Duke, UVa and Georgia Southern seem likely. After that, it is anyone's guess. We could be anywhere from 6-6 to 10-2.

Bro, we won THREE games last year.

We are 3-0 now.

Enjoy the games, man. Life is too short. I want and expect us to go undefeated every year. But I enjoy every game regardless. Go hug your kid. Or your spouse. Or your dog.

Worry about next game next game.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
OP is over analyzing this stuff way too much. These games aren't played in a vacuum so no matter how good or bad a team looks one day, you have no idea what they'll look like the the next game. Every game from here on out could go either way for us depending on how we play. Nothing I saw today, good or bad, was gonna change that.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Good win for the team today. However, Vandy's play calling was abysmal. Going deep passing with poor field position is no path to success. I think the game would have been far closer with better decision making. Still, good outcome and a nice ego builder for Clemson.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
College football changes from week to week. You can't just say that since we barely beat BC and then they get stomped today by VT really means a thing. I'm very pleased with today and see this win being very important getting back to a bowl.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I have to note that:

I actually agree with 100% of this. That said, you look like a MINIMUM of bowl eligible this season, with the possibility of something special. That's not a bad place to be, no?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you want the "get off my grass" comment, both BC's and Vandy's QBs have been close to terrible in their games against us. Neither have been very accurate and left multiple completions on the field. We are going to see much better QB play going forward.

We have shown we can handle 2 pretty good power running teams though. That alone is an improvement from last year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Good win for the team today. However, Vandy's play calling was abysmal. Going deep passing with poor field position is no path to success. I think the game would have been far closer with better decision making. Still, good outcome and a nice ego builder for Clemson.

I think their play calling was a direct result if our defense today. Vandy is a running team who had the run taken away from them by our D. That doesn't leave a lot in their playbook when that happen. The results showed in the game. We took away their strength and made them try to beat us with their weakness. That's always a winning proposition.

Animal02

Banned
Bro, we won THREE games last year.

We are 3-0 now.

Enjoy the games, man. Life is too short. I want and expect us to go undefeated every year. But I enjoy every game regardless. Go hug your kid. Or your spouse. Or your dog.

Worry about next game next game.
As I have posted previously, we won a total of 19 game is my 5 years at Tech. including two years where they one 1 game each. Enjoy the frikkin season regardless.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I have to note that:

I agree but I'll throw in some minor disagree...

UNC is UNC Fedora status quo.
I didn't learn anything from them beating up JMU.
&
Pitt lost to Ok. St. who lost a toss up to Central Michigan at home.
CMU, Ok. St. and Pitt could all beat us, and are better than BC, but I think we'd be favored on the road against all three if we played tomorrow.

Last edited: