Article on why J.Thomas is best QB in ACC

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
The real coach transcript I want is for this one.

lEvaiVM.gif

I still love how impartial, unbiased Jesse Palmer called that a "missed tackle."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Imagine being DE #48. You beat two blocks, get in the backfield, have JT dead to rights, get smoked, then nearly make the play from behind only to realize you have no shot whatsoever.
I was really surprised that the TV crew did not make a bigger deal out of what they had just seen. The crowd certainly did. Maybe it just took their breath away.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's not just the players figuring things out in those first games, the coaches are trying to find the best 22 and figure out how best to use them.
I remember thinking once that with all the backs Johnson uses in any game, if he blew somebody out, how would he take his foot off the gas? His two and three-deep have already played.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was really surprised that the TV crew did not make a bigger deal out of what they had just seen. The crowd certainly did. Maybe it just took their breath away.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but most TV crews just don't know, or care to know about the complexity and simplicity of the offense. They just say "option" or "dive", but as most of us know, the beautiful thing about it is how one play can go from being blown up to being a TD simply by adjusting the blocking. That's where the genius is IMO. And I wish this got pointed out more by commentators.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
If I remember correctly this play took the TV announcers by surprise and MUsberger just kind of fumbled for words as he tried to say Tech scored since he was on a different train of thought. Almost like he didn't even see the play just looked up and saw a TD

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
If I remember correctly this play took the TV announcers by surprise and MUsberger just kind of fumbled for words as he tried to say Tech scored since he was on a different train of thought. Almost like he didn't even see the play just looked up and saw a TD

Musberger was busy talking about how Cory Dennis is marrying Urban Meyer's daughter and how he's going to be a GA at Ohio State when the play occurred.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Musberger was busy talking about how Cory Dennis is marrying Urban Meyer's daughter and how he's going to be a GA at Ohio State when the play occurred.
Well, in that event it is perfectly understandable. Why clutter our little brains with game stuff when there are these charming little inconsequential social nuggets written on their cheat sheets?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I loved it when Musberger said in kind of a dead pan way "they just can't stop it folks". To me, that line said it all. He may not understand what we are doing on offense, but he made it clear MSU didn't either.

Truly elusive ball carriers freeze people. That is exactly what happened on that play. The approaching DB was in good position and pretty much missed on his tackle attempt the correct way. Proper fundamentals are that, if you are going to miss, do it to the outside forcing the runner back into the pursuit. He just didn't know that every other defender was either, in chase (no chance to catch JeT) or dumped on their head behind him. Bottom line, JeT is just quicker than everybody else on the field. If there is space, he will beat you.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I loved it when Musberger said in kind of a dead pan way "they just can't stop it folks". To me, that line said it all. He may not understand what we are doing on offense, but he made it clear MSU didn't either.
Absolutely one of my favorite sound bites from Musberger that night. I thought that line was a stunner, and actually suggested to a GT Football staffer that they find a way to incorporate it into their video they show recruits.

Another Musberger line I suggested they find a way to use was as they were going to a commercial. Ga Tech had just scored. Musberger can be heard saying, "....And if you live in the state of Mississippi, you have cause for concern tonight!"

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Musberger was understandably wanting to add some color to the game by talking about Cory Dennis marrying Urban Meyer's daughter conversation as the game began to become monotonously one-sided. It almost seemed to me that the "they just can't stop it folks" statement was almost an apology by him to the audience in effect saying "we hoped to provide a closer, more competitive game but 'they just can't stop it folks'".

That line summed up the game beautifully because despite the MSU offense being quite successful, the only way for them to get back in the game was to "stop it" and they couldn't.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely one of my favorite sound bites from Musberger that night. I thought that line was a stunner, and actually suggested to a GT Football staffer that they find a way to incorporate it into their video they show recruits.

Another Musberger line I suggested they find a way to use was as they were going to a commercial. Ga Tech had just scored. Musberger can be heard saying, "....And if you live in the state of Mississippi, you have cause for concern tonight!"
Forget which guy said it, but I cracked up at "The SEC is reeling."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Musberger was understandably wanting to add some color to the game by talking about Cory Dennis marrying Urban Meyer's daughter conversation as the game began to become monotonously one-sided. It almost seemed to me that the "they just can't stop it folks" statement was almost an apology by him to the audience in effect saying "we hoped to provide a closer, more competitive game but 'they just can't stop it folks'".

That line summed up the game beautifully because despite the MSU offense being quite successful, the only way for them to get back in the game was to "stop it" and they couldn't.
Probably deserves a thread but all this did not stump the AP today with a piece on the monied and powerful SEC West. I am starting to believe the guys on the board are not seeing black helicopters after all. The end-of-season matchups that thumped the SEC and bowl whitewashes are almost dismissed. So it seems the answer is to get us some of those $4 million a year coaches, not because they're better, but because if they make that kind of money, why, they must be real good.