Arizona HC Search and Pastner Implications

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t want to see him leave , if you’d have asked me 18 months ago I’d say don’t let the door hit you , but now that we have a
Top 20 recruiting class & have made the NCAA finally , I’d hate to see this momentum end & it could cause us to lose recruits or influence Moses or Jose on coming back . But the point of this post is to ask yall : who would be on your short list if he does leave ?

GT1988

Jolly Good Fellow
It would suck, but I would just be glad we wouldn't owe anyone money to not coach here for once like we did with Hewitt and Gregory. What's Pastner's buyout?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Say what you want about Pastner, but if he does leave for AZ, then he will leave GT in a MUCH better place than he found it. If you go back to the thread where we hired him, most everyone said he would come in, win enough, and build our roster to make GT a much better destination than when Gregory left. I think the circumstances have changed, but the gist of that statement is now true. GT will be a much more attractive job than when Pastner got here, and we will have a roster made set up to succeed for the next coach.

That said, I hope Pastner stays. I think he's on the cusp of a VERY good run with GT.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I remember a quote from the Bama board when Key came here. "When Mama calls, it is hard to say no.....even if Mama is 5'2", 300 lbs. and has a mustache" or wtte.

Hope he stays and wish him the best going forward. The one thing I have always asked of myself or those who worked for me is to leave an organization better than you found it. He has accomplished that mission certainly.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That said, I hope Pastner stays. I think he's on the cusp of a VERY good run with GT.
I would like him to stay for a different reason. We played an aggressive, turnover based style that many teams found very frustrating to combat ... even when they knew what to expect. It reminded me of the Hoyas in the 80s and would be a great way to brand GT Basketball ... this was an exciting team to watch and I would love to see more of this style of play in the future.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm very excited about the way the season ended. I'm very optimistic about next year and the future under Pastner if he stays. I like CJP a lot as a coach. Winning the ACC this year was incredible and we all think, if not for Moses getting Covid, Tech would have made a run.

BUT, let's not forget: just a few months ago, it looked like Tech was going to miss the tournament again, thanks to losing to Mercer and GSU. We've been through self-inflicted turmoil with Ron Bell and LaBarrie under his watch. If not for an impressive (and unlikely) late season run, we would've missed the NCAAT and probably be talking about if we can afford to fire him. I'm not trying to $*** on coach or be sour grapes. But it's not like he's our Mark Few.

When Tech hired CJP we were short on money paying two buy outs. Our roster was pretty weak. Recruiting and the image of the program were at a low point. CJP turned out to be a good hire. If CJP has the opportunity to 'return home' and that's his dream job, I won't hold it against him.

We'll be in the market for a coach with a much better financial outlook, a solid roster, a much improved brand, and an ACC that's looking more open than it has in a long time.

How often does a team get to be shopping for a coach with a brand new power conference trophy under it's belt? TStan should have his pick of many promising candidates. The fan base is happier than it has been in decades, it should be easier to get a donor to front the money to make a deal work if necessary. My preferred candidate is Josh Pastner. But, if he leaves, Tech will have it's best opportunity in two decades to make a premier hire.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wes Miller is a rumored candidate if this happened.

A LOT of road to cover before we even get there, but if Wes Miller is turns out to be our next coach, then you have to hope Hubert Davis does well at UNC because the UNC job will always hover over Miller the same way Arizona always hovers over Pastner.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I would be gutted if Pastner goes but ultimately happy for him going after his dream job. I love watching our team play defense as it stands and that would go out the door if Pastner leaves. I think we would be a very attractive job and have our pick of the coaching litter though, which wasn't really true last time we were hiring.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I suspect AZ will interview a number of candidates and it makes sense that Pastner would be one of them.
Whether he is there #1 choice or high on the list we have no idea.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think Arizona or any other school is coveting Pastner. I think Arizona would have a particularly hard time getting its Board of Regents to sign off on hiring a coach from a program coming off probation to replace a coach that is about to put his own school on probation.

GT_EE78

Banned
I don't thinK it will happen because of that probation issue,
but if it did i'd want to know if we can afford the coach from Arkanasas or Houston.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I doubt pastner leaves. Reading some Arizona boards, pastner is about 5th or 6th on the AD’s and his staff’s board of who they want. I heard on the same Arizona board that there is a rumor pastner potentially has a interview with Arizona. Pastner is pretty loyal and will most Likely stay due to the loyalty we have shown him through the allegations and the rough rebuild years. He’s honestly just using the interview as leverage to get a extension for him and his fellow staff.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't thinK it will happen because of that probation issue,
but if it did i'd want to know if we can afford the coach from Arkanasas or Houston.
I don't think we can pay enough to pull those coaches away. They're making 2.5-3 million per year. We could match that I'm sure, but I don't think we could afford 4.5mil or whatever to lure them away. Tech is a good job, but both have shown they can win fine where they are

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
A LOT of road to cover before we even get there, but if Wes Miller is turns out to be our next coach, then you have to hope Hubert Davis does well at UNC because the UNC job will always hover over Miller the same way Arizona always hovers over Pastner.

IMO the only way UNC would take Miller if he came here is if he improved us to a level that we'd all be very happy about, and would likely leave us as one of the most desirable jobs open.

I think they kept it in the family this time. If Davis doesn't work out at UNC then I think they will want to go make a big impact hire even if it means getting someone without the UNC connection.