Arizona HC Search and Pastner Implications

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think it won't ultimately be CJP, but I think we'll be getting the CJP contract extension announcement any day if it's not him.

I will be shocked if he's not at least in the mix.

Gotta think some of our seniors returning will weigh on Pastner, especially if he knows Jose and Moses are returning. Obviously you have to do what's best for you, but I think this group of guys along with the class he has coming in and the young post guys, will be a LOT to leave. On top of all of that, as Red mentioned, there's a dark cloud of the NCAA hanging over the program. Arizona is "home" though for Pastner, and part of it is Arizona knows there will be sanctions coming, and Pastner might be the one to take them through it knowing he's helping "family" through the storm.

On another note, if Gonzaga's Tommy Lloyd goes to there, maybe Kessler give Arizona some consideration there as well.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree and think CJP will leverage this to get his extension. I don't think he goes, but I've seen crazier things happen. I certainly don't want him gone, but if he were to jump ship, we would be in the best situation we have been in years to find a replacement.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I tend to think fans overrate the recruiting chops in terms of hiring assts for HC slots.
For example, CY didn't exactly tear it up at Ga Southern.

Jonas for all the deserved pub about him as a recruiter has to this point in his career been an assistant on exactly 1 NCAA Tourney team.

The question I always ask myself is this. If the prospective HC was not a former player, asst, etc at my school, how would I feel about hiring him?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree and think CJP will leverage this to get his extension. I don't think he goes, but I've seen crazier things happen. I certainly don't want him gone, but if he were to jump ship, we would be in the best situation we have been in years to find a replacement.
I think he is going to get an extension no matter what this offseason. This might allow him to get an extra year, or a little more money with that extension.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think he is going to get an extension no matter what this offseason. This might allow him to get an extra year, or a little more money with that extension.

That is what I am thinking. How much will depend I guess on how real AZ's interest is though I don't think we will be able to outspend AZ if they really want him - which I doubt.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think UA will hire Pastner this time around. I think if they whiff again and are hiring in five years, and Pastner continues having years at Tech like this previous year, he will be the leading candidate.