Are we guard heavy?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting a good BIG for NEXT yr (grad transfer) could be critical to keep the any program momentum we have going to be sustained. Getting killed on the boards and weak interior Def is looming.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Grad transfers are very rarely home runs. We got one with Adam Smith, I wouldn't anticipate a grad transfer adding a whole lot to the team.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Grad transfers are very rarely home runs. We got one with Adam Smith, I wouldn't anticipate a grad transfer adding a whole lot to the team.
Luckily, we don't need a home run next year - and I am not expecting one. Adam Smith was a home run - agreed. But looking back at who Gregory brought in ... Demarco Cox (someone of similar skill) would be 'good enough'. Big body, played defense, space eater, rebounded, scores a little. If he is better than AD (team is better with him on the court), he gets more minutes - if not, if he can provide solid backup minutes that's good too.

Next years team will likely be very perimeter oriented - guards (Jose/Devoe/Phillips) making the plays vs. a high post big (Lammers) ... but they do need to solidify the interior defense/rebounding to progress and show competitiveness. I do think the perimeter players are collectively the strongest group out there we've had in many a year.

I can't see us counting on AD playing more than 20-25 minutes average. We have no idea how Ogbondo progressed (maybe he will be the surprise we need) .... and even if Cole can slide to the 5 and improves, he is undersized to play there against many of the bigs in ACC. Signing a big, most likely Grad Transfer (to fill slot for just one year), is something CJP needs to do in spring .... and follow that up with 1 or 2 (at least one that can step in and play) in the next HS recruiting class.