Are we guard heavy?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think any of them redshirt. Maybe Moore, but i'm not convinced given his videos from the last 2 months that he won't play next year. Great athlete and farther along than say Moses in terms of skill level and imo is likely to be a better perimeter defender. Moore also has the advantage of having played with Jose before.

Don't forget Alston is likely to be on the team as well.
That's five perimeter players with at least some P5 experience and a 6th that is the highest rated recruit GT has signed in over 1/2 decade.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think any of them redshirt. Maybe Moore, but i'm not convinced given his videos from the last 2 months that he won't play next year. Great athlete and farther along than say Moses in terms of skill level and imo is likely to be a better perimeter defender. Moore also has the advantage of having played with Jose before.

Don't forget Alston is likely to be on the team as well.
That's five perimeter players with at least some P5 experience and a 6th that is the highest rated recruit GT has signed in over 1/2 decade.
Definitely forgot about BA. So that brings us to 7 guards, all those guys aren't going to be getting minutes... I can only realistically seeing see Pastner using only 5 guards

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
I see our three ball handlers, Jose, Devoe and Phillips at 1 and 2 most of the time. That leaves Okogie getting a lot of minutes at the 3 and Haywood getting the rest of the minutes, also when we go with four guards and a big. Beyond that it's anyone's guess.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I see our three ball handlers, Jose, Devoe and Phillips at 1 and 2 most of the time. That leaves Okogie getting a lot of minutes at the 3 and Haywood getting the rest of the minutes, also when we go with four guards and a big. Beyond that it's anyone's guess.
My thoughts exactly, so where would this leave BA

Fouls and injuries, ideally coach would like to run at least 10 deep not what we saw this year. He wants players that can rotate between 2-4. No one worthy of minutes will be complaining. about lack of.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i would expect Jose and Devoe to take the min at one and some of the 2 min. Phillips could clean up any 1 min and also play at 2 or even 3.
Okogie can play 2 or 3 - but i'm thinking more 3 with some 4 in a small ball role.
Haywood would be at the 2 and 3 as well.
Alston is deep reserve as needed.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
i would expect Jose and Devoe to take the min at one and some of the 2 min. Phillips could clean up any 1 min and also play at 2 or even 3.
Okogie can play 2 or 3 - but i'm thinking more 3 with some 4 in a small ball role.
Haywood would be at the 2 and 3 as well.
Alston is deep reserve as needed.
I could see Devoe starting tbh, Pastner has hinted a bit at how he wasn't a fan of JA being undersized. Definitely hurt us a bit against clemson the first time.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
i think Devoe and Jose may start together.
Pastner absolutely loves Jose' toughness.
He played more ACC min than any other player on the team before he was injured.

Agreed next year's line up will be crazy. So many different looks we can have on the court. No reason why we come away with anything under 18Ws. I'll consider it a bad season if we are anywhere less than 9 in the ACC... I may be reaching though lol

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i also think the offense we run might be different so that may have an impact on who plays, also we don't know what big they sign this spring and that could have a major impact on post rotation.

I see us running less of the high post cutter offense that we ran late this year and all last year. That offense suited Ben. i don't see another on the team ready yet to take that role.
With both Mike and Jose I see a little more dribble drive and with AD more of a 4 out 1 in type structure.

I will complement the coaching staff for changing the offense multiple times over the last 2 yrs trying to find an offense to best suit the players they had available. Nice to see them try to maximize the win probability rather than forcing alot of square pegs into round holes.

i also expect the tempo to pick up quite a bit next season.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I expect us to go small some, considering we tried this year, with Jose, Devoe, Haywood, and Okogie. I think that'd be a decent line up as well. When we aren't small I expect those 4 to play most of the minutes at the 1 through 3 spots. Phillips will get some burn, and I expect Moore to see a little bit of action. I'd be surprised if Alston plays much next year.

What really hits my interest though is that for the first time in a long time I feel like we'll have a good 3 point shooting game. Okogie, Haywood, and Jose all shot 37%+ last year, and Devoe has a good rep. Because of that not only will we have betters hooters, but I expect us to get a higher number of good looks from the outside as the offense changes to try and get them better looks.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If we don't have an inside game all those "shooters" are going to get covered up so our shooting may not be so much better.--unless we get layups off press or something..

GT_EE78

Banned
Definitely forgot about BA. So that brings us to 7 guards, all those guys aren't going to be getting minutes... I can only realistically seeing see Pastner using only 5 guards
IMO CJP probably won't decide until well into the OOC games next year. Regardless if its 4, 5 or 6 guards getting regular rotation minutes , this group will be fine. I'm more concerned about the bigs stepping up next year so we're not forced into a small ball lineup.

GT_EE78

Banned
i also think the offense we run might be different so that may have an impact on who plays, also we don't know what big they sign this spring and that could have a major impact on post rotation.

I see us running less of the high post cutter offense that we ran late this year and all last year. That offense suited Ben. i don't see another on the team ready yet to take that role.
With both Mike and Jose I see a little more dribble drive and with AD more of a 4 out 1 in type structure.

I will complement the coaching staff for changing the offense multiple times over the last 2 yrs trying to find an offense to best suit the players they had available. Nice to see them try to maximize the win probability rather than forcing alot of square pegs into round holes.

i also expect the tempo to pick up quite a bit next season.
If only CBG hadn't recruited those square pegs .....................