Are the 2014 and 2015 OLs Bigger, Better, or Both?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I think our OL got so much better last year because 1. We got another OL coach to help, 2. We got a new S&C coach that has obviously made a difference and 3. team chemistry has gone up because of good leadership and coaching stability. Also I think JeT masks a lot of faults that the offensive line could possibly have, at least on certain plays, because he is faster than anyone on the opposing team.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Lol what? He's listed as the starter, and unless you have some inside information into how conditioning and workouts are going, which you don't, then him being listed as the starter means that he's not a backup. This is P5 football, redshirt freshmen don't play very much at all, that he played in every game but one speaks volumes to his ability. Essentially we have his playing time from last year and the fact that he's listed as a starter on one side of the argument, and on the other we have you pontificating, without any current knowledge, about how he'll be a back-up and can't play every down. I wonder which way the scale tips in that argument.
Whoa chief, slow down. I was just expressing concern about Shamire, not pontificating. I have no idea if he's gonna lose the weight necessary to be an every down player, but it's a little unsettling that we haven't heard a peep about it all summer. I highly doubt that if he comes into camp at the weight he ended last season he'll stay at #1. Btw, I hope my concern is misplaced. This has nothing to do with ability or potential and all to do with forks and knives and spoons.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Whoa chief, slow down. I was just expressing concern about Shamire, not pontificating. I have no idea if he's gonna lose the weight necessary to be an every down player, but it's a little unsettling that we haven't heard a peep about it all summer. I highly doubt that if he comes into camp at the weight he ended last season he'll stay at #1. Btw, I hope my concern is misplaced. This has nothing to do with ability or potential and all to do with forks and knives and spoons.
I doubt it's a priority for the coaching staff to keep the fanbase up to date on a players weight during the summer, so I don't think its unsettling at all that we haven't heard about it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I doubt it's a priority for the coaching staff to keep the fanbase up to date on a players weight during the summer, so I don't think its unsettling at all that we haven't heard about it.
I hope you're right. We'll see. I still think it's good that we have quality depth behind him and all over the OL.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Cheese's concerns might not be completely unfounded. :cautious: I think it'd be good for us to keep an open mind about someone like Gary Brown becoming very important. Either as a key rotational backup or even as a starter.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Cheese's concerns might not be completely unfounded. :cautious: I think it'd be good for us to keep an open mind about someone like Gary Brown becoming very important. Either as a key rotational backup or even as a starter.

No OL worries. CPJ has already hedged his bet on RG. He experimented with Burden in the Spring (even though an injury was an issue with Burden's hand ) and that would put Marshall in the game. He talked about moving Chamberlain to G, and that might be based on the anticipated good play of Klock and/or Bryan at T. He already moved Fromayan to G. He has lots of G options if there is a Devine issue, not to mention a chance Brown is ready. And if Devine is a big contributor then there are more options and depth elsewhere. OL OK IMO.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Question about the guard spots, is RG a more valuable/important spot than LG? It seems we always have our best OL there, or at least, our best guard.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think our OL got so much better last year because 1. We got another OL coach to help, 2. We got a new S&C coach that has obviously made a difference and 3. team chemistry has gone up because of good leadership and coaching stability. Also I think JeT masks a lot of faults that the offensive line could possibly have, at least on certain plays, because he is faster than anyone on the opposing team.
JeT runs the option faster and generally makes good reads. There is little doubt this has helped the line. He also has way better pocket presence and escapability from the pass rush than his predecessors. I believe our line is better, but having Smoove back there has multiplied the effect.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Question about the guard spots, is RG a more valuable/important spot than LG? It seems we always have our best OL there, or at least, our best guard.

Generally power to the right and quick to the left. However, IMO this line is pretty well balanced to run either side but a RH QB will favor running and rolling out to throw right.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
No OL worries. CPJ has already hedged his bet on RG. He experimented with Burden in the Spring (even though an injury was an issue with Burden's hand ) and that would put Marshall in the game. He talked about moving Chamberlain to G, and that might be based on the anticipated good play of Klock and/or Bryan at T. He already moved Fromayan to G. He has lots of G options if there is a Devine issue, not to mention a chance Brown is ready. And if Devine is a big contributor then there are more options and depth elsewhere. OL OK IMO.
Oh, I agree with you there. I think we are stacked deeply at OL in general. They cross-train and can make it work. I was referring to Shamire in particular.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I agree with you there. I think we are stacked deeply at OL in general. They cross-train and can make it work. I was referring to Shamire in particular.

I believe Shamire will be an effective G in situations wherever and whenever the coaches choose to use him, but he is not likely to be a full time every play G like Shaq, regardless of his weight numbers. (Braun is an every play type G). Because of blocking at the second level we will likely see a lot of Fromayan in there and Brown as well if he is ready. There are places in the game where Shamire can really help and IMO the coaches will pick his situations.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
One barometer that, to me, substantiates both a bigger and a better OL last year---
In his Tuesday presser during the week we played them, Mark Richt said that they were used to Ga Tech bringing a "small" OL. He said that traditionally, we were quick and athletic but small.

His warning to his team that week was that Ga Tech was still quick and athletic. But, this time, they were bringing in "...an OL like we see every week in the SEC. They are just as big as anybody we face and can still move like they always can. On their film, and off my memory, I warn my guys: If you take 1 play off....if you freelance for even 1 play and neglect your assignment--that's the play that can go for a home run."

He added, "We can't simulate with the scout team what Ga Tech will do on offense. We try to run their plays. But, the sheer speed of it is something you just have to experience in a game. Those OL will get up on you so fast--and get you on the ground faster than you can believe-- and the play just runs right by you. Now-- they've got size, too. It'll be a challenge."

(That's my memory of what I heard him say; some joker will come up with the transcript. I promise you, it'll be darn near word-for-word.)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
One barometer that, to me, substantiates both a bigger and a better OL last year---
In his Tuesday presser during the week we played them, Mark Richt said that they were used to Ga Tech bringing a "small" OL. He said that traditionally, we were quick and athletic but small.

His warning to his team that week was that Ga Tech was still quick and athletic. But, this time, they were bringing in "...an OL like we see every week in the SEC. They are just as big as anybody we face and can still move like they always can. On their film, and off my memory, I warn my guys: If you take 1 play off....if you freelance for even 1 play and neglect your assignment--that's the play that can go for a home run."

He added, "We can't simulate with the scout team what Ga Tech will do on offense. We try to run their plays. But, the sheer speed of it is something you just have to experience in a game. Those OL will get up on you so fast--and get you on the ground faster than you can believe-- and the play just runs right by you. Now-- they've got size, too. It'll be a challenge."

(That's my memory of what I heard him say; some joker will come up with the transcript. I promise you, it'll be darn near word-for-word.)
I wonder what CPJ would say?
Again, if we are bigger it seems to have more to do with a combination of getting a lucky genetic bounce during their growth spurt coupled with better training. Because when they started out they were about the same size as every year.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what CPJ would say?
Again, if we are bigger it seems to have more to do with a combination of getting a lucky genetic bounce during their growth spurt coupled with better training. Because when they started out they were about the same size as every year.
What would he say publicly? Or, what would he say sitting in his den at home? Despite his overall straight-shooting habits, there really can be a difference on some things.

I'm not sure what he would say. But, the guys who are seeing the field are bigger. That's easy.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

That's got to be the best compliment I've ever heard about our offensive line. If I was a player I'd be beaming right now.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I guess Richt is a genius afterall!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What would he say publicly? Or, what would he say sitting in his den at home? Despite his overall straight-shooting habits, there really can be a difference on some things.

I'm not sure what he would say. But, the guys who are seeing the field are bigger. That's easy.
You know him far, far better than I, but just from watching his press conferences over the years I imagine he would say something like this:

"Oh, I don't know if we are all that much bigger or not. We certainly are playing bigger but its like anything else. We may have a pound or two more here or there but frankly I don't pay that much attention to it. We've had some good lines in the past but staying injury free is probably the key to the whole thing. It's hard when you've got guys banged up and your switching positions a lot during the season. If Richt says we are bigger then I'll take his word for it. We all have to motivate our players in different ways. (gives that smile like he knows something that he finds amusing) I'm just glad they are starting to worry about us. That is a huge improvement."

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
You know him far, far better than I, but just from watching his press conferences over the years I imagine he would say something like this:

"Oh, I don't know if we are all that much bigger or not. We certainly are playing bigger but its like anything else. We may have a pound or two more here or there but frankly I don't pay that much attention to it. We've had some good lines in the past but staying injury free is probably the key to the whole thing. It's hard when you've got guys banged up and your switching positions a lot during the season. If Richt says we are bigger then I'll take his word for it. We all have to motivate our players in different ways. (gives that smile like he knows something that he finds amusing) I'm just glad they are starting to worry about us. That is a huge improvement."
Okay. That's dead-on. Well done.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Seems like in the past we've always had one or two guys that were undersized like 260-280. Now last year and this year we are near 300 across the board.