Apples and Oranges

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Major assumption in your post is that this staff is getting the most out of the players and putting the best practice on the field. I just don’t see that. We can debate about the D but the O has left much to be desired.

We can debate that of course and I do not disagree that there have been issues. The bigger point is that is an outside AD (and maybe more importantly, the fan base) willing to look past the surface and do the research necessary? I doubt it....I think this year's W/L will be the death knell of that system. The narrative is in place that the transition out of it is too difficult.Not saying it is fair, right or wrong just that iiwii.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
We can debate that of course and I do not disagree that there have been issues. The bigger point is that is an outside AD (and maybe more importantly, the fan base) willing to look past the surface and do the research necessary? I doubt it....I think this year's W/L will be the death knell of that system. The narrative is in place that the transition out of it is too difficult.Not saying it is fair, right or wrong just that iiwii.

Understood and completely agree that there is a narrative out there already there. I could see a Kansas/Oregon state or a similar team try. Time will only tell but I think our O has been doing a disservice with putting the best product out there. Lack of creativity or game feel from the play allying has been frustrating. I’ve said it in another post but this transition is moving from an offensive minded coach to a defensive minded coach. May be a different feel had it been offensive to offensive.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Here is what I think, not that anyone cares, but it's early and not much to watch on TV. I like CPJ old fashion guy like me just not as fat. But I was ready for him to go about mid season last year. Not cause I didn't like the 3O but because he didn't look like he was enjoying it any more. In comes CGC not the guy I would have picked but I wasn't asked who I thought should get the job ( kind of like being married she does what she wants and you just put up with it). CGC does things I don't like but so did CPJ. I have no idea what our AD was looking for or how many coaches wanted the job. After he picked CGC I was happy it wasn't CKW. I don't know everyone on here who doesn't like CGC but I do know Supersizethatorder-mutt and no one loves Tech more than him as do all of us do. Yes I fell in the trap before the season listening to CGC and thought like a few others 7 wins would be easy. ( but that isn't the first time I fell into a trap I also thought my wife could cook but it wasn't a 7 year it was for life). No one on here knows if CGC is the right coach we all just hope and it doesn't take 7 years. If you really want to know my main concern with CGC is he seems to be a players coach not like CGO, CPJ or Ross. Does that make him a bad coach ? I hope not.
here are that type of coaches as I see them
1) the motivator
2) The X and O guru
3) I'm all business
4)The players coach
5) the micromanager
6) The Innovator Old schoo; isn't only the right way It's the only way coach ( most 3O coaches go here )
7) The outside the box coach
8) The Innovator
9) The class act coach
10) the Let me put the pads on and show you coach
I guess the real question is what type of coach works the best at Tech , I hope CGC is the right coach but I hope it doesn't take 3 years or more.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know how many CPJ supporters here feel the same way I do -- but I wasn't ready for a new coach yet. I liked the CPJ hire from the get-go, based on what he'd done at Navy, and really thought he was a great fit for the program. The old high-school offense was exciting to watch, and it wasn't just three yards and a cloud of dust; you could always expect a big gainer from out of nowhere. And with JeT, there was even the passing threat to keep defenses honest. What rubbed me wrong about the whole thing was that CPJ wasn't given the tools he needed to win, and I think he finally just got tired of it all. I really wanted to see him coach out his contract before he retired. The one critique everyone's had of Coach Johnson was his lack of a good defense, and I'm there as well. If he couldn't afford a good DC, then he probably should have found a genius DC from the Div-2 ranks that cost less. But that's water under the bridge.

Coach Collins is here now, and I want him to succeed -- for the sake of the team, but also for him personally. The Tech job is the one he wanted above all else, and I'd hate to see him fail at it. I just hope he doesn't turn out to be like Kirby: really good at selling his program, but not very good at the X's and O's or game-day management. Let's hope after the initial shell-shock that he grows into this job and does well!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Real question: What do the anti-CGC folks want?

Tearing down a 1st year coach is a pretty useless exercise. I got no problem with pointing out areas where we need to improve, but I don't think that's what these folks are doing. Sounds like there's nothing CGC can do/could've done to win these folks over. As such, the question remains .. what. do. you. folks. want?

I don't get it.

For background, I am that guy w.r.t. Josh Pastner. I want him fired. I never wanted him hired. The bar for CJP getting me off that narrative is incredibly high. There, I'm putting it on the table. That's what I want. But even knowing that, I don't pollute every bball thread with fire-CJP rhetoric. Why? Because I have respect for the folks that want to discuss bball and who still believe he can turn it around.

Can you anti-CGC folks educate me on what in the actual F you dudes want at this point?

Do you want him fired? How would that help our fball program? Do you want CPJ back? Well, and I say this as an unabashed CPJ-lover, he retired so that's not happening. Do you want Monken or some other CPJ disciple hired? Well, if the fanbase/administration runs CGC out of town after 1 season that everyone expected to be a struggle, why would any of them leave to come here?

Somebody tell me something 'cause toxifying every fball thread is useless and it makes the board untenable for everyone.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow

Tearing down a 1st year coach is a pretty useless exercise. I got no problem with pointing out areas where we need to improve, but I don't think that's what these folks are doing. Sounds like there's nothing CGC can do/could've done to win these folks over. As such, the question remains .. what. do. you. folks. want?

I don't get it.

For background, I am that guy w.r.t. Josh Pastner. I want him fired. I never wanted him hired. The bar for CJP getting me off that narrative is incredibly high. There, I'm putting it on the table. That's what I want. But even knowing that, I don't pollute every bball thread with fire-CJP rhetoric. Why? Because I have respect for the folks that want to discuss bball and who still believe he can turn it around.

Can you anti-CGC folks educate me on what in the actual F you dudes want at this point?

Do you want him fired? How would that help our fball program? Do you want CPJ back? Well, and I say this as an unabashed CPJ-lover, he retired so that's not happening. Do you want Monken or some other CPJ disciple hired? Well, if the fanbase/administration runs CGC out of town after 1 season that everyone expected to be a struggle, why would any of them leave to come here?

Somebody tell me something 'cause toxifying every fball thread is useless and it makes the board untenable for everyone.
I think a lot of it may just be raw emotion... If you read some of the UGA reporting right now, there are people already calling for Kirby to be fired. There was apparently even a bunch of booing at Sanford Stadium during the second half, before Georgia tied it up at the end of the 4th. (I hope we're better than UGA in that regard, though!)

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow

I don't get it.

This is very true! But it goes down both aisles. There are people who want to overlook issues. I just think with the cultural change going on we would need to grade him on each element of coaching and running a program. Winning definitely makes it easier in a transition year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For background, I am that guy w.r.t. Josh Pastner. I want him fired. I never wanted him hired. The bar for CJP getting me off that narrative is incredibly high. There, I'm putting it on the table.

OK, Slick...you're not fooling anyone. Can you at least keep your Pastner hate confined to the basketball forum?! No one is falling for your transparent Pastner bashing under cover of trying to keep the peace and defending CGC. Talk about no shame

Mods, please ban this poster. For life.

:)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
OK, Slick...you're not fooling anyone. Can you at least keep your Pastner hate confined to the basketball forum?! No one is falling for your transparent Pastner bashing under cover of trying to keep the peace and defending CGC. Talk about no shame

Mods, please ban this poster. For life.

:)

If you couldn't get me bann'd for my past ice cream choices, what makes you think you have a shot at it now?

These compromising pics of the mods in red n' black gear come in handy, maybe? :smuggrin:

Scubapro

Banned

I don't get it.

I am not anti CGC. I find it odd when he says they are making improvements while getting beat by the Citadel- Brookwood or Parkview could beat them btw- and shut out by the juggernaut known as Temple.
Yes many of the coaches on the staff have awards in their careers with the exception of PatenFraude He needs to go

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I am not anti CGC. I find it odd when he says they are making improvements while getting beat by the Citadel- Brookwood or Parkview could beat them btw- and shut out by the juggernaut known as Temple.
Yes many of the coaches on the staff have awards in their careers with the exception of PatenFraude He needs to go

But, when you say things like this .. I mean, you realize this is hyperbole right?

This isn't conducive to any level of discussion, which is why we're all here.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I am thinking that this year may end up as the kiss of death for the TO system in P5 FB. Outsiders who are unfamiliar with our overall situation with recent years recruiting,depth, injuries, etc. will assume that this is the price to be paid for the transition away from it on the back end. Now, more than ever, no AD will be willing to stick his neck out that far imo. If Monken had ever thought about a P5 job then, imo, that ship has sailed.

The Bolded is largely in part to the scheme itself and ADs across America are more familiar with our situation than most fans like to think. Remember- almost every outsider to the program predicted we'd struggle mightily (even as fans like me believed the opposite) and so far, the outsiders are correct.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

I don't get it.

There's nothing CGC can do. He's not CPJ or Monken so will never win those types of fans over. Those fans will literally never be happy with him because the TO and its branch of coaches aren't coming here nor are any former Ga Southern option coaches coming here.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The Bolded is largely in part to the scheme itself and ADs across America are more familiar with our situation than most fans like to think. Remember- almost every outsider to the program predicted we'd struggle mightily (even as fans like me believed the opposite) and so far, the outsiders are correct.

This is true. Well, kinda true.

I think the outsiders were still just hatin' on GT. They just happened to be right this time. Remember, they predict doom for us every year regardless.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Experienced? Graham and LJ were hardly what I would call experienced. Heck, even #8 hasn't started that many games for us....

yeah only TO had any real, relevant gametime experience whatsoever. Graham's last gametime exp. prior to 2019 was against 16 & 17 yr olds 2 years ago. LJ's was 3 years ago.