Apples and Oranges

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
lol, its the same thing you did. You're basing your opinion on 5 games in a transition year. BTW, I was using that to show the stupidity of your argument. I think CPJ was a good football coach but he just would not adapt.
I’m not basing it on five games. I’m basing it on one game. The Citadel was inexcusable.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
JFC. I didn’t say a word about the option. I simply quoted our coach saying he’d run an offense befitting the skills of our players. If all they can do is the option, then he should run that, or he should not have said what he said. Period.

You quoted a posted and responded directly to a question about the option.

Also, the coach said he'd fit the scheme to the players. That doesn't mean he is going to find the scheme that works best and run that. It means he's going to take the scheme he already wants to run and try to find the aspects of it that they do best. And he did. It's why we ran the ball 70% of the time against clemson, why we tried rotating QBs, and why the QBs worked on different parts of the offense. Unfortunately, most offenses don't allow you to put a running back at QB and have enough of the playbook available to be competent.

No, if all they can do is run the option, then they need to either switch positions or transfer to a place that runs the option. You don't continue to run a completely different offense you don't have experience coaching for, you aren't going to recruit for, and have no intent to use long term. And no, saying you're going to fit a scheme to the talent isn't the same as saying you're going to run an entirely different scheme.

This coaching staff had the same QB available against the Citadel they started against Clemson, the same QB they started against USF, and both of those QBs were in the system and getting first team snaps since the spring

And that same QB is now a WR and the fact that he was the starter should tell you everything you need to know about the QB situation this year.

f you can't see the difference between that and losing the starting QBs to injury and backup QB to injury in back to back games before playing GW, we are just not going to agree.

It's not the same. In one case we started the entire year with someone who didn't fit the system. In the other case we had a first and second string that we had to lose before it reached that point. In 2008 we had a far better QB situation the vast majority of the year. The GW game was one game where the situations were similar. Not because of how they got there, but because it was the one game we had to play with a QB clearly not fit for the system.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
It was a part of our season. You'll just have to get over it,as we all must.. As you already know from metrics on various threads. Our current talent level is about bottom 20% of both P5 and ACC. but thats still within P5 boundaries and isn't high enough to ease the transition or low enough to justify where we're at. IIWII

Talking about the game is not the issue. The issue is there are certain people that cannot talk about the game without making wholesale assumptions about the staff because of the game.

It was a terrible showing and there is no excuse for losing it. That being said, it’s over and one game doesn’t define a coach, team, or staff.

Anyone that was paying attention knew this was going to be an ugly year. I held out hope that LJ was a player and because of him, we would be okay and win 4-6 games.

I do think we still have a shot to win another game this year if Graham continues to progress, but even if we don’t would 1 more win this year matter 3 tears from now? If we get the guys Collins and crew want in here and win 10 games in 2021 will you still feel the need to bring up the Citadel game? That’s my point.

Criticize away, but the few that specific comment was there for can’t do that because they can’t get over Paul leaving and the fact that we didn’t hire one of his “option disciples.”

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Y’know, you’re right. It’s to win games, and he’s not doing that, either.

Actually he was hired to improve recruiting and eventually elevate the program beyond the .500 ball it was playing the last couple years. Running the option would have been antithetical to that goal even if it eeked out 2 more wins this year.

Unfortunately he can't go back and improve the recruiting of the past 4 years and not have a team with terrible lines on both sides of the ball among other problems.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Actually he was hired to improve recruiting and eventually elevate the program beyond the .500 ball it was playing the last couple years. Running the option would have been antithetical to that goal even if it eeked out 2 more wins this year.

Unfortunately he can't go back and improve the recruiting of the past 4 years and not have a team with terrible lines on both sides of the ball among other problems.

Losing gimmes is a unique way of elevating the program. Plus, I thought we weren’t supposed to trash the players. Guess it’s okay, after all.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
https://247sports.com/college/georgia-tech/Season/2016-Football/Commits/
This is the recruiting class that should be our current RS Jrs/Seniors, starters and team leaders. Count how many are still here, active and playing. You can't tell me a coach walking into that doesn't deserve a "year zero".
I understand completely where you’re coming from, and I largely agree. I said before the season 2-10 was about where we’d finish, with a ceiling of 4-8. I’m not upset about losing to Carolina or Duke or Temple. I expected that. But the Citadel was stunning to me in a way that is hard to verbalize. It was the one game this season where we had a decided advantage, and Collins lost it. It’s just devastating to any good will, and it made me question everything he has said. And when you consider that the Citadel is 3-4, it’s only made more concerning, and Collins has done nothing to attempt to assuage reasonable concerns about his performance.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I understand completely where you’re coming from, and I largely agree. I said before the season 2-10 was about where we’d finish, with a ceiling of 4-8. I’m not upset about losing to Carolina or Duke or Temple. I expected that. But the Citadel was stunning to me in a way that is hard to verbalize. It was the one game this season where we had a decided advantage, and Collins lost it. It’s just devastating to any good will, and it made me question everything he has said. And when you consider that the Citadel is 3-4, it’s only made more concerning, and Collins has done nothing to attempt to assuage reasonable concerns about his performance.

Fair enough. I can't get hung up on any one game, myself, even that one.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Oh really