APP at Coastal tonight

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I agree I would like to see better defensive coaches if he were selected, but how do you know he isn't open to changing his defensive coaches? Have you discussed this with him? It might be true, he does seem to like Staggs as his DC, but how do we know?

Concern over whether he is willing to replace his defensive coaches also seems pretty different from "I don't want to hire him because he's cheap"
No I have not talked to him and would guess he doesn't care to talk to me. But I thought I read some where he wanted to bring his staff. Now I could be wrong cause I do drink too much.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
No I have not talked to him and would guess he doesn't care to talk to me. But I thought I read some where he wanted to bring his staff. Now I could be wrong cause I do drink too much.
Just a question…
I understand that you look at a coach or a coaching staff that is not currently in power five football, and you say to yourself, “these guys don’t look like a power five staff.“
On the other hand, you’re going to that coach and telling him that you want him to replicate his success at your school, but “oh by the way don’t bring anyone else who helped you get there.”

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just a question…
I understand that you look at a coach or a coaching staff that is not currently in power five football, and you say to yourself, “these guys don’t look like a power five staff.“
On the other hand, you’re going to that coach and telling him that you want him to replicate his success at your school, but “oh by the way don’t bring anyone else who helped you get there.”
To me the most important thing about a head coach is his staff. And if I was the AD that would be my first who will be your coordinator's.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Just a question…

I think you'd go to a coach and tell him that his staff has almost no experience, if any, at the P5 level, and that he should look into bringing only those he feel are essential to what he is doing. Like Johnson bringing his OL coach. Otherwise you'd hope to bring him in and put a better staff around him.

Also, keep in mind if you're hiring a successful mid major coach there is a decent chance they promote from within and so some of the staff will stay behind for that reason.

slugboy

Staff member
What I liked last night with both teams:
They moved fast. I'm not saying "they ran no-huddle". I'm saying the players didn't hesitate. RBs hit the hole quickly. Linemen and WRs went to their blocks quickly. After the snap, the game looked faster than what I'm used to seeing. Every play seemed to be full speed from every player. That was refreshing.

Outside of X's and O's, everything looked like it was being executed confidently and as fast as they possibly could. The speed and confidence of execution is something I'd like to see with any coach and any offensive and defensive system we have.

I think you'd go to a coach and tell him that his staff has almost no experience, if any, at the P5 level, and that he should look into bringing only those he feel are essential to what he is doing. Like Johnson bringing his OL coach. Otherwise you'd hope to bring him in and put a better staff around him.

Also, keep in mind if you're hiring a successful mid major coach there is a decent chance they promote from within and so some of the staff will stay behind for that reason.
I think this would be the case, and any of the G5 or FCS coaches would probably bring anywhere from 1/3rd to 2/3rds of their coaches. Some of them also have other coaches at other schools on their wish list of hires. Coaches talk and they know each other.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
To me the most important thing about a head coach is his staff. And if I was the AD that would be my first who will be your coordinator's.
I agree; it’s important. My question is why you’d expect a successful coach to leave staff behind.
I do think it would be rare for a coach to insist that everyone comes with him, but if there are key people he wants to bring, why stop that? I guess as a hiring AD you have the option of passing on the coach because you aren’t in agreement with staff... and that’s fine too.
I just think it’s an odd position to say I like you, I like what you’re doing, I want you to do it here, but don’t bring the guys doing it with you.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree; it’s important. My question is why you’d expect a successful coach to leave staff behind.
I do think it would be rare for a coach to insist that everyone comes with him, but if there are key people he wants to bring, why stop that? I guess as a hiring AD you have the option of passing on the coach because you aren’t in agreement with staff... and that’s fine too.
I just think it’s an odd position to say I like you, I like what you’re doing, I want you to do it here, but don’t bring the guys doing it with you.
It's actually a great situation to be in. You bring the best ones with you and replace the rest with coaches you think will do better.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I think that's definitely the case with some coaches, but to cherry pick a few examples though - Nick Saban's staff changes every single year, and they keep chugging right along. Dabo's staff got changed up this past season, and they are chugging right along. A good HC should be able to handle changes to his staff and not become worthless like Bill Lewis. I would agree with @lv20gt that a discussion needs to be had about who he would be bringing with him and who he feels is essential among his staff. Based on Stagg's defensive performances and that Chadwell is an offensive guy, I have a hard time believing he wouldn't be willing to cut him loose if we had a better replacement, but maybe not.

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
As Coach Ray Brooks told is 60 years ago & I quote, " Boys! There ain't but two things that win football games....... blocking & tackling.
You guys go on & on about a lot of meaninglessness stuff bit I will say this about Coach Chadwell's football team......they look well prepared & execute their offense crisply.

GT could do a lot worse than him. It really does not matter who we hire if the fan base is continually parsing each decision the next coach makes.

JacketFan137

Banned
For the life of my I can't understand the disdain some people have for an offensive philosophy that piles up yards, points, and wins. But what do I know. I mean, we have political parties in this country that convince people to vote against their own self-interest all the time... so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
we averaged 7 wins a season under gailey and 7 wins a season under johnson. the option isn’t as magical as many act and there’s a lot of negatives people refuse to accept.

it’s not as simple as you’ve described

slugboy

Staff member
we averaged 7 wins a season under gailey and 7 wins a season under johnson. the option isn’t as magical as many act and there’s a lot of negatives people refuse to accept.

it’s not as simple as you’ve described
We had a conventional but efficient offense under Gailey and an exciting but unconventional defense
We had a top offense under Johnson held back by a below average defense
In both situations the best and most exciting part of our team was unorthodox

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Can someone explain to me what's "gimicky" about Chadwell's offense?

You do realize Chadwell's offense is just a marriage of several popular concepts that he cohesively merged to form "his" offense, right? The option/run concepts (minus maybe the triple option ones) he runs are in EVERY college playbook. He just uses it more than most schools outside of maybe Army and Navy. It's not the option run game that's different, it's the degree in which Chadwell uses them.

RPO? That's probably one of the most used concepts in the modern football era. Pretty much all offenses in college and the pros are using RPO concepts.

The other thing about Chadwell is he's flexible. Other teams got better at defending his run option offense so he installed RPO concepts that took his offense to the next level. He's said multiple times that if he had players to do it, he would install other concepts to utilize their talents. That's exactly what modern offensive "geniuses" do. Lane Kiffin (I wrote about how he's married multiple offensive philosophies over his career) and Lincoln Riley, two of the preeminent offensive minds in college football have all added to their base offense to come up with systems that are tearing through modern defenses.

The other criticism I hear a lot about Chadwell is people don't know if he'll be able to recruit on this level...does he have the high school connections? People do realize Chadwell recruits at the same High Schools as SEC and ACC schools, right? High school coaches aren't turning away programs outside of P5 because not all of their kids will go on to play P5 football. I promise you Chadwell has relationships with all the same high schools as P5 coaches, Coastal Carolina just doesn't have the same pull as P5 programs. That changes the day Chadwell walks into high schools with "GT" on his shirt. Now he's pulling in a higher caliber of players.

I haven't hidden the fact that Chadwell is my #1 choice. That doesn't mean other candidates won't do just as good of a job as Chadwell. However, all this "gimicky offense" and "not sure about his recruiting" talk is probably not well thought out. The guy has been ultra successful everywhere, and that won't change if he does come to GT.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I always laugh when people pretend that those things aren't also true even if you are running an innovative offense.
They all matter, but I always laugh when folks dismiss the fact that gaining a significant scheme advantage reduces the need to do more elsewhere. The evidence is all around, it just doesn’t hardly ever yield the mythical National Championship. Because a scheme alone ONLY makes you very competitive, it’s viewed as unworthy &
somehow beneath “real” football fans. Scoring TDs or otherwise finding ways to win is apparently only exciting if you do it using approved types of plays and schemes.

Hey, all we need to do instead is quadruple our Athletic Association budget for about a decade and we’ll be right there with the big boys.