Anyone watching NFL draft coverage

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
So first let's not rate CPJ and current Tech as a comparison. CPJ has actually had more drafted than Chan Gailey did. That being said, we have had plenty of guys play in the NFL and arguably the best wide receiver to ever play came from Tech, Calvin. Shaq Mason started his rookie season and Keith Brooking played for years. As comparison name me all the great NFL players from Georgia, that went in the NFL in the last 20 years. Matt Stafford, Greene maybe. The NFL is a factory where you play about 3 years.

If you look at average number of draftees per year for each coach by recruiting class, not graduating class, I believe it's a substantial advantage in favor of Gailey. Recruiting has been the problem under this regime.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If you look at average number of draftees per year for each coach by recruiting class, not graduating class, I believe it's a substantial advantage in favor of Gailey. Recruiting has been the problem under this regime.

gaily recruited
Burnett DB Most of career under johnson
Morgan DL 1st round Most undner johnson
Thomas WR 1st round Most under Johnson
Dwyer RB Most under Johnson

1 year under johnson mostly gaily
M.Johnson DL
Gardner OL
Walker DL

Gaily Recruited and Coached
Wheeler LB
Choice RB(transfer in)
Wrotto OL
Brooks P
C Johnson God 1st Round
Landry DB
Wilkinson LB

Everyone prior was recruited befor 2002 so pre gaily

so that means that gaily only recruited and properly coached into the nfl arguably 10 players and of those 10 only 1 Calvin was first round and 2 had their best years under Wommacks' defense

Johnson recruited and coached
Butker K
Gotsis Dl 2nd round
DJ white DB
Smelter WR
Mason OL
Waller WR
Attouchu LB 2nd round
Watts LB
Thomas DB
Hill WR 2nd round
Allen (Transfer)

Johnson recruited and coached 11 players into the nfl draft, No first round picks but 3 second round picks gaily had no second rounders and only one first round pick

I do not think there is evidence to support that recruiting was better or worse under either coach. The 4 best players in recent memory not named Calvin johnson spent most of their careers under johnson so if you want to give gaily credit for them you can't give him credit for players like Daryl Smith Kearon Fox or anyone that oleary recruited which means the numbers balance out.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Frankly, this whole pity party about not having NFL draft picks is embarrassing. For me, it makes it all the much sweeter when we beat the teams loaded with NFL draft picks. How many did Miami have? It took them a Miracle circus catch on the final drive to beat a much depleted GT. With Jordan and Mills we beat those bums handily. So basically, it's bad luck due to injury and poor off the field choices that scuttled our season more than poor recruiting. Of course we don't have the depth to replace major components to our offense when we have unexpected attrition, but when have we ever?

I, for one, am expecting big things this year and I highly doubt this team is loaded with future NFL standouts.
Thanks for sharing... important reminder, which had gotten lost in the shuffle of my memory...those two were difference makers...ouch!

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
And yet our football program has accomplished more under CPJ than it did with Gailey. Once again, the success of a college coach isn't measured by how many of his recruits get drafted or play professionally. If that were the case, we should've never fired Paul Hewitt.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Do I believe that if PJ was able to recruit to the highest level in Tech history that he could produce a Nat'l Championship? Yes, I do.

Problem is I don't believe he can ever match the 2007 class or maybe some of O'Leary's classes. That is the struggle - how to get a GT great class (not the same as a factory great class) and have PJ running the program.

With that said, I still think PJ is the right person for GT. I wish I could sprinkle some magic pixey dust on some big nasties so that they would WANT to attend GT AND could meet the academic rigor.