Anyone watching NFL draft coverage

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
So first let's not rate CPJ and current Tech as a comparison. CPJ has actually had more drafted than Chan Gailey did. That being said, we have had plenty of guys play in the NFL and arguably the best wide receiver to ever play came from Tech, Calvin. Shaq Mason started his rookie season and Keith Brooking played for years. As comparison name me all the great NFL players from Georgia, that went in the NFL in the last 20 years. Matt Stafford, Greene maybe. The NFL is a factory where you play about 3 years.
Hines ward, geno Atkins, knowshon Moreno, Todd gurley, Thomas Davis, Justin Houston.

That does not look good to potential recruits
Here is what should be told to a potential recruit. Son your chance of getting to the NFL is a little over 1%. You have 4 years to play football at one of the most prestigious and historical schools in the country. And when you get your degree you have a 40% chance of becoming a millionaire.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So first let's not rate CPJ and current Tech as a comparison. CPJ has actually had more drafted than Chan Gailey did. That being said, we have had plenty of guys play in the NFL and arguably the best wide receiver to ever play came from Tech, Calvin. Shaq Mason started his rookie season and Keith Brooking played for years. As comparison name me all the great NFL players from Georgia, that went in the NFL in the last 20 years. Matt Stafford, Greene maybe. The NFL is a factory where you play about 3 years.

They have had a bunch actually. I don’t love mutts so don’t focus on them but just off top of head, Hines Ward and Champ Bailey had long distinguished careers also. Gurley was recently drafted high and stuck.......

That’s enough about mutts but they do have talent aplenty that moves on to next level.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Hines ward, ok a converted QB, Gurley has yet to prove himself past one year and the others are no more note worthy than Bey Bey et all.
Really? EVERY ONE of those defensive players are huge playmakers. TD could possibly one of the best hard hitting safeties ever. I think he may have started playing linebacker for the panther. All those dudes are/were some of the best in the league at their position.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Getting you to the NFL is not one of our biggest selling points. Most kids know that if you are NFL material, the scouts will find you no matter what. There is plenty of evidence for this. Some of the biggest stars in the NFL have come from tiny non P5 programs.

We have just hired 4 new recruiting staff members. We have no data as of yet to evaluate this effort. Let's wait and see what the data shows in a few years before we get out the pitchforks and torches.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That does not look good to potential recruits
Grandpa, u will find that no matter what number is posted that indicates a negative trend, the settle for the beating the big 5 ( unc, Mia, v t, Clem, uga) faithful will reply with rhetoric to question your Tech ness. They will trot out the red herring say we can't be Alabama - no kidding - they had 11 taken in draft this year.

Of course the are right if you like chicken soup without chicken. We can an will win with a bunch of mid talented players.

The constant wondering about why we don't get NFL players taken off of the option is curious. The answer is no NFL teams runs this offense.

From the beginning of my joining the swarm, I have swe need to aim for getting some NFL caliber players , particularly on defense. I have complained that our bend but don't break defense will not attract KIDS who have NFL talent. They think they will not get a chance to show their GO Get the ball talent in our scheme.

We need one man child to come to Gt to play in our new aggressive defense and leave for NFL in 3 years . This year I am thinking we are going to get some bad thing due to our defense but I also think we will get some very good things. Against Clem if our offense did pretty good w no turnovers and our defense did very good, this would be a step in the direction of recruiting a man child. Having a chance to play early in an aggressive defense is what they want.
Grandma having you are exactly right = zero drafted is bad for recruiting

Grandpa, u will find that no matter what number is posted that indicates a negative trend, the settle for the beating the big 5 ( unc, Mia, v t, Clem, uga) faithful will reply with rhetoric to question your Tech ness. They will trot out the red herring say we can't be Alabama - no kidding - they had 11 taken in draft this year.

Of course the are right if you like chicken soup without chicken. We can an will win with a bunch of mid talented players.

The constant wondering about why we don't get NFL players taken off of the option is curious. The answer is no NFL teams runs this offense.

From the beginning of my joining the swarm, I have swe need to aim for getting some NFL caliber players , particularly on defense. I have complained that our bend but don't break defense will not attract KIDS who have NFL talent. They think they will not get a chance to show their GO Get the ball talent in our scheme.

We need one man child to come to Gt to play in our new aggressive defense and leave for NFL in 3 years . This year I am thinking we are going to get some bad thing due to our defense but I also think we will get some very good things. Against Clem if our offense did pretty good w no turnovers and our defense did very good, this would be a step in the direction of recruiting a man child. Having a chance to play early in an aggressive defense is what they want.
Grandma having you are exactly right = zero drafted is bad for recruiting
So just one comment about the offense and the NFL, 90 percent of colleges don't run pro style offenses. They run spread option.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Here's the thing for me...being a good/great college football player doesn't always equate to being a high NFL prospect. There have been a TON of guys that we've had during the PJ era that fans would kill to have back (Roddy, Orwin, Godhigh, Justin T., Uzzi, Nesbitt, etc.) that barely got a sniff in the NFL, at the most. I also look at a program like UNC that's put a bunch of guys in the NFL and yet haven't done a whole lot, as a team, over the last 10 years. Even if you have guys drafted, especially in the later rounds, there's no guarantee they will make the team. I sometimes think being a UDFA is better than getting drafted in the very late rounds, because you have a little more control over where you go. Ultimately, it's PJ's job to win games at GT, and he needs to get that going again, but having a good college team doesn't always mean you have a ton of future NFL players.

I'm also fairly certain that we have multiple guys on the current team that will be playing in the NFL.

Just my 2 cents...

True, although there is certainly a big correlation between college performance and the NFL draft. I agree that getting draft picks should not be our objective, but I do think it is a reasonable (among many) metric, and it is absolutely something players and recruits care about.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
They’re no LSU or Bama but number of NFL players put out by Georgia is not an argument to get into. Get into the ratio of 4/5 star recruits actually making it into the NFL is a good argument to stick to.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s a hell of a lot more embarrassing for the factories when we beat their asses. Just ask the mutt fans in Athens two and four years ago.

By the way, were you embarrassed to have Justin Thomas as your quarterback? He went undrafted you know.

Yes, we can win some games with lower recruits. And, yes, of course I love our guys, drafted or not. I am not at all saying that how many players we get drafted is the end-all, be-all mark for our program. Obviously, there are a lot of factors that go into getting drafted. However, having only a kicker drafted in the last two years is, to me, a telling sign, that, on the whole, we are not bringing in enough talented players or perhaps not developing them properly. The wins and losses over the last 3 years bear that out. Again, JMO.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Yes, we can win some games with lower recruits. And, yes, of course I love our guys, drafted or not. I am not at all saying that how many players we get drafted is the end-all, be-all mark for our program. Obviously, there are a lot of factors that go into getting drafted. However, having only a kicker drafted in the last two years is, to me, a telling sign, that, on the whole, we are not bringing in enough talented players or perhaps not developing them properly. The wins and losses over the last 3 years bear that out. Again, JMO.

We had a really bad recruiting class in 2013 ( mostly due to last minute defections) This is the class that would have been seniors last year. We've been a pretty young team for 3 years. Most of the time our NFL talent is on the defense or at the WR spot ( its been this way for a long time not just under johnson). We've had a few RB's that fit the bill and I think we have another guy whose going to get a shot in Clinton Lynch now that the NFL is really starting to put a premium on hybrid reciever/backs. Defensively all of our true NFL kind of talent is still at the school.

AJ Gray will get a shot with a strong year to be a late round pick
Lamont Simmons has the measurables to get a shot
Brant Mitchell with a solid year could potentially earn UDFA
Desmond branch with a really good year could end up drafted
Vic Alexander has the measurables and with a solid year could end up being used in a beasely type role for a seattle type defense. OR as an outside rush backer in a Matt Patricia/patriots style 3-4.

As for offense with a good year i could see Andrew Marshall potentially getting a shot if he really has gotten over his injuries. Stewart might get a tryout if he's sure handed. Qua might get a tryout if he's good or we end up seeing him return kicks or Punts really well. I already mentioned Lynch who might even have a shot to be our first Drafted A-Back.

to add of the 2013 recruiting class, everyone who stayed at tech i beleive has a shot to make a roster in the NFL or has done it except Shamire

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So just one comment about the offense and the NFL, 90 percent of colleges don't run pro style offenses. They run spread option.
Just a one major difference with "the spread" and to my point . Arent we are the only college or pro team to run qb under center and full back close to line.? Also does anyone RUN the ball with such wide splits? .
We are unique. That means the nfl needs to look past that to see talent that translates from our system to the nfl.

I love our system and think i can work great in college, especially if the defense can get some turn overs early. If we get ahead and keep the pedal to the medal on both sides, we will get big wins which will get the nfl taking a close look.

Losing to duke and uva = not so much.
Damn i hope we destroy those 2 in 18 .

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
They’re no LSU or Bama but number of NFL players put out by Georgia is not an argument to get into. Get into the ratio of 4/5 star recruits actually making it into the NFL is a good argument to stick to.
And how many of those guys would've made the NFL if they hadn't gone to a factory?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Numbers
We are 22 (that hurts)

14 and above
Acc Atlantic 5 Coastal 3

14 and below
Acc atlantic 1. Coastal 6

Each year we play
14 and above = 5 (acc rival clemson 5 and traditional rival uga 9)
14 and below= 5

With our rival games against top teams its a good thing we are in the coastal (14 & below =6) instead of Atlantic (14 & below =1) .

Lately Duke (coaching) and Uva have given us concerning losses.

As coach says it is what is is.

Hope we do well in 18 and 19!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Numbers
We are 22 (that hurts)

14 and above
Acc Atlantic 5 Coastal 3

14 and below
Acc atlantic 1. Coastal 6

Each year we play
14 and above = 5 (acc rival clemson 5 and traditional rival uga 9)
14 and below= 5

With our rival games against top teams its a good thing we are in the coastal (14 & below =6) instead of Atlantic (14 & below =1) .

Lately Duke (coaching) and Uva have given us concerning losses.

As coach says it is what is is.

Hope we do well in 18 and 19!
Very useful post! Thanks.