Anyone know what to make of this ?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
MJ is "ready to start," but I'm not convinced that he is the man for the job.

otoh, not many of us were excited about the Goose when he was the 2nd team guy. He turned out OK iirc. Some guys are gamers. Not saying MJ will be the Goose (that is expecting a lot since the list of guys we have had who were more effective than him is pretty short), just saying it's hard to base a lot on small sample sizes. A counter example - remember when we were all excited about guys like Vad Lee and Taylor Bennett based on how they looked as backups??

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Doing some deep work-avoidance and found a read from MJ's past that folks might like (from this al.com comment thread, so take it FWIW):

"The first time I became aware of Jordan during his sophomore season at Jackson Academy, when he was assigned to cover Autauga Academy receiver (and current Bama player) O.J. Howard. He reportedly did a fine job, although Howard has surely become more refined and it's impossible to accurately gauge the talent level of Howard's QB. But the point remains that the JA coaches felt like Jordan had the athleticism to cover such a talented player. Last season, after transferring to 5A Jackson, he showed that he can truly play. I expect he'll play QB, RB, WR and maybe even return kicks and play some safety this season for the Aggies. He's an outstanding athlete. And, I believe he intends to graduate from high school in December, so he can participate in spring practice on a college campus.
[....]
"He shut O.J down. He will not be returning kicks for the aggies, he did that at JA. he may play a little DB, WR but limited... He is graduating in december and early enrolling."

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Has lucas shirt been burned ?
IF not suggest we go w swilling or taquon

No. LJ and Jay Jones haven't played this year. I think moving Taquon to QB this year was insurance in case we had to use our 3rd string QB so we didn't have to burn LJ's or Jay Jones's redshirt.

I don't know if people were taking notice, but MJ was moving the ball down the field against UNC really well. The guy can play. Saw a heavy dose of midline and QB follows....something CPJ is hesitant to do with JeT. If he had to play Saturday against VT, I feel a LOT more confident with him behind center than when Tevin had to take over for an injured Nesbitt in 2010.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
No. LJ and Jay Jones haven't played this year. I think moving Taquon to QB this year was insurance in case we had to use our 3rd string QB so we didn't have to burn LJ's or Jay Jones's redshirt.

I don't know if people were taking notice, but MJ was moving the ball down the field against UNC really well. The guy can play. Saw a heavy dose of midline and QB follows....something CPJ is hesitant to do with JeT. If he had to play Saturday against VT, I feel a LOT more confident with him behind center than when Tevin had to take over for an injured Nesbitt in 2010.

This. In fact, CPJ admitted that he was trying to (score with MJ but more so) control the ball and clock and get out without giving up a bunch more points.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This. In fact, CPJ admitted that he was trying to (score with MJ but more so) control the ball and clock and get out without giving up a bunch more points.

Been there a few times. That's exactly what you do when you are behind, you have lost your QB, your D can't stop them, and your players are getting hurt......spread the licks and run the clock. Play for another (better) day. At least Jordan got some meaningful snaps and nobody else got hurt. Had the D been showing signs of life the strategy likely would have been different.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Like I said in another thread, if you like Navy this year (I sure do) then you'll like Tech with Jordan at QB. My guess is that he will be very similar to Worth (the Mids QB) in terms of efficiency and will probably end up doing about as well as JT this year, despite not being as quick. He will also benefit from having Mills as an experienced BB. Whether that will lead to a better record, given our schedule, is another story.

But all this is in the future. JT for the rest of this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Like I said in another thread, if you like Navy this year (I sure do) then you'll like Tech with Jordan at QB. My guess is that he will be very similar to Worth (the Mids QB) in terms of efficiency and will probably end up doing about as well as JT this year, despite not being as quick. He will also benefit from having Mills as an experienced BB. Whether that will lead to a better record, given our schedule, is another story.

But all this is in the future. JT for the rest of this year.
How do we get Navy's D?