Anyone have the "fumble" pic

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We can't do anything about the call now. It's a UGA touchdown. We got rooked. UGA got rooked too. They should protest to get the stats corrected. It was a 100+ yard TD, not 97. We should help them get that corrected!

reubenjet

Jolly Good Fellow
Not quite sure I fully understand the scenario. The way I understand the rules is: If the opponent possesses the ball in his own end zone and he (or a teammate) brought the ball into the end zone on his own initiative, then that would be a safety. If instead he was involuntarily moved into his own endzone during the tackle, then that would be down by forward progress (theoretically...) at the one foot line. To be a touchback, the opponent must cause the ball to be in the end zone. That's my high level understanding. There could be a nuance in the rules I don't know about and which may cause a different answer.
I guess the scenario I was curious about would be #7 recovering on the 1 foot line, his back towards our offense, having to run into his own end zone to take it out because of his positioning, and then we tackle him in the end zone. I'm thinking safety.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
If he ran into the end zone on his on initiative (as you describe and @bravejason states), it is a safety. If he was trying to progress away from the end zone and we pushed him into it, it would be down by forward progress at the 1. At least that is my understanding of it.

Two other scenarios...
1) JT fumbled and ball went into the end zone with no one controlling it, it is a turn over and touchback
2) JT fumbled IN the end zone...too late, no fumble, already a touchdown.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
We can't do anything about the call now. It's a UGA touchdown. We got rooked. UGA got rooked too. They should protest to get the stats corrected. It was a 100+ yard TD, not 97. We should help them get that corrected!

They probably have rounded it to 100 yards already in order to simplify the math so more of their fans can understand it.