Anyone have the "fumble" pic

albanyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
from the UGAG game? It was a very close up view of the ball over the goal line seen between the players legs. I need it!!!

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I just took this one from some video. I put a box around what I think is the ball with JT's hand still on it.

upload_2015-1-7_12-58-23.png

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
i'd like to think its a fumble, but its really irrelevant because i think for all intents and purposes his forward progress had been stopped. There was hardly and way that a ref could see him moving forward in that pileup and the pile itself was not moving at all. Any other running back, and certainly any QB, should have gotten the whistle.

I'm not surprised they missed the possible TD, but I can't get over them swallowing their whistle on forward progress. That was horrible and how people get hurt.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Just curious here...if #7 had recovered on the 1 foot line and one of our guys tackled him in the end zone would it be a safety or touchback?

For it to be a safety #7 would have to have possession in the field of play and then take it himself into the end zone where he is tackled for a safety

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
For it to be a safety #7 would have to have possession in the field of play and then take it himself into the end zone where he is tackled for a safety

For it to be a touchback #7 would have to recover it (get possession) in the end zone and down it or be tackled there.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Just curious here...if #7 had recovered on the 1 foot line and one of our guys tackled him in the end zone would it be a safety or touchback?

Not quite sure I fully understand the scenario. The way I understand the rules is: If the opponent possesses the ball in his own end zone and he (or a teammate) brought the ball into the end zone on his own initiative, then that would be a safety. If instead he was involuntarily moved into his own endzone during the tackle, then that would be down by forward progress (theoretically...) at the one foot line. To be a touchback, the opponent must cause the ball to be in the end zone. That's my high level understanding. There could be a nuance in the rules I don't know about and which may cause a different answer.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
i'd like to think its a fumble, but its really irrelevant because i think for all intents and purposes his forward progress had been stopped. There was hardly and way that a ref could see him moving forward in that pileup and the pile itself was not moving at all. Any other running back, and certainly any QB, should have gotten the whistle.

I'm not surprised they missed the possible TD, but I can't get over them swallowing their whistle on forward progress. That was horrible and how people get hurt.

I like most of this. :D