Anyone else?

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
As has been stated before, our offense has gotten stale and predictable. Our defensive philosophy of bend but don't break, is broken. It will be hard to get a new HC in here but not a more aggressive DC. CPJ needs to update his offense and bring some excitement to the program.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For me I feel frustrated like I did during the end of Gailey's tenure, but it's a different kind of frustration.

With Gailey, I always felt there was a big play defensively that could help turn the tide. Gailey's offense was the typical pro style offense...run the ball between the tackles, set up play action, and look for the playmakers when passing. Every once in a while he'd throw in something different (like Nesbitt in the wildcat). I wasn't really enamored with his offense because it was the same as everyone else's at the time. The one thing that gave me hope towards the end of Gailey's tenure was all the talent that was starting to accumulate. There was a LOT of talent coming in on the offensive side of the ball, and we had a LOT of defensive pieces already on the team (seriously, look at the defensive roster when CPJ took over). Unfortunately, Gailey didn't win enough to get to coach them...so that's on him.

Outside of the debacle of 2015 when I just felt GT was helpless on offense, I really don't feel that way about CPJ's offense. We're moving the ball, and if we don't shoot ourselves (fumbles!), we actually do a lot of damage. I love watching this offense more so than anything Gailey put out there. Defensively, I just feel the same hopelessness I felt towards the end of Groh's time here. We can't stop anyone. A lot of times I find myself hoping the other team quickly scores if we can't stop them quick enough just so I can watch our offense play....because I'd rather watch a unit play well (our offense) than a unit play poorly (our defense).

But I want to WIN. I'm realistic and I understand our challenges at GT. For some reason CPJ, whether through bad DC choices or just personnel inadequacies to help the defense simulate most opposing offenses, subpar defenses have been as big of a hallmark of CPJ's tenure as much his offensive prowess. I don't expect us to win 10+ games every year given the environment at GT (though we could have more of them had we had a defense), but I don't think we should ever struggle to make a bowl game when half the teams in the NCAA can make it.

So to answer the OP, there's still fire in my bones for my beloved Jackets, but as I get older seasons like 2015 and this year just make me realize that it's just a game. As badly as I want the team I followed to since middle school to win, I no longer live and die by the results.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I can’t say I really blame you. I have no confidence in the team to win any game left on the schedule with how they are playing on any side of the ball. The defense is abysmal, 1 of our 3 team captains can’t hit a chip shot FG when we desperately need it, our offense doesn’t really even seem like it is working that well outside of JT making plays with his arm when we need it.

You can pretty much chalk up an L next to any road game. We are absolutely terrible on the road. On a team that usually prides itself in scoring TD’s in the redzone we rank 121 out of 128 in redzone TD % on the road. We rank 74th in PPG on the road.

Here’s some telling stats about how unaggressive we are:
112th in Opponent penalty yards/gm
5th in penalty yards/gm (I only see this as a good stat if you’re actually stopping people)
124th in sacks
Dead Last in Opponent 3rd down %
111th in interceptions
Dead last in passes defended and passes broken up
80th in opponent redzone TD % (Bend but don’t break?)

Scubapro

Banned
No Not yet Remember this. The next coach will be placed on probation and will be only allowed to offer recruits that have already qualified. They did this to Gailey and Paul Johnson.
If we get a new coach dont expect recruiting to pick up intil 4-5 years in

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
As has been stated before, our offense has gotten stale and predictable. Our defensive philosophy of bend but don't break, is broken. It will be hard to get a new HC in here but not a more aggressive DC. CPJ needs to update his offense and bring some excitement to the program.

My curiosity got the better of me. What do you think PJ needs to do?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
As has been stated before, our offense has gotten stale and predictable.

Some people crack me up. There are a lot of things to get frustrated about with this program. The offense getting "stale and predictable" is definitely not one of them. Against our last two opponents, we accumulated 605 and 518 yards respectively. Yes, we had some redzone and turnover issues, but we moved the ball a TON.

Against UNC, Tech's defense gave up 9.1 yards per play, which was the 2nd worst in the history of the program. That is obviously historically bad! For perspective, however, we gained 9.9 yards per play the week before against Duke. (We averaged 7.6 yards per play against UNC.) So, unless you want to characterize UNC's offensive performance against Tech as "stale and predictable," which I am guessing you do not, then I think you may be a bit off-base in calling our offense the same.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm getting with the poster. I was where I would schedule things around the game so I could watch it. Not saying I won't watch the next game but now if something else comes up that sounds like fun, then to hell with the game (UGA game being the exception). I like CPJ and think he is he is very good play caller ( Clynch and Jeune pass plays were good calls by coach on plays we have not seen this year) , but besides 14, the last few years have been pretty bad, and the defense has been awful. We used to could count on the offense to at least to make it a shoot out. The last two years they seem to screw up so we throw points away. I wonder what is running through CPJ's mind. He has had a good career, he has basically said this is his last stop, and he has probably reached as high as he is going to go and passed up opportunities to go higher for family and lifestyle reasons. He also is starting to talk like someone ready to retire given he is not holding anything back. Is it possible he says to heck with it and retires? I wouldn't blame him and would tell him it's not a bad choice.
The dog, I think, is over in Athens. My bet is that there is none in Johnson. He won't quit because he thinks he can fix it. If there is a problem in hiring Roof it is that he is a GT man and that is hard to overcome "with the base", so to speak. And I have no clue even whether anything should happen with Roof. Just that it is depressing and stressful every time we give up the football.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I buy season tickets as well and will continue to buy them and want CPJ to stay. But like the OP, wait until next year and hope we get the recruits some of you guys believe we are getting. Right now our talent level on defense is abysmal. Not defending Roof or pointed fingers but we don't have the players needed to compete with teams above Vandy and Duke. Also worried about QB which is critical to our offense as is the case with most offenses.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel when you take last season and then add in this season possibly ending up 5-7 depending on the status of JT, we will fall farther behind the eight ball due to lack of fan interest and inability to attract the recruits needed to change the downslide.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The other thing is the offense. I don't see us truly committing to the TO to the level we need to be and make it successful. I mean, building a program around. I spoke with a number of folks offline and some from other programs like UT and Alabama that I know. They all said the same thing ... great offense when it works. But, you can't recruit it, so it becomes a vicious cycle of ever smaller players.

One alum put it this way ... "Every player who loves the game will try to be the best. And that means NFL. And he may never play in the NFL. But at least he is exposed to how the pro game is played and players developed." He went on to add that giving the finger to the NFL and sticking to the TO is not a good way to endear players....
If Johnson is to be believed and if my eyes are to be believed, give or take windage, it is not a triple option offense. Option, yes. But many of our best scrimmage plays have been quick tosses to A backs, options to the B back, toss to the B back, with an occasional triple option mixed in. So I guess you are saying we need to make it the routine staple of the offense, three out of four or some such. But it's not clear to me. The points seem mutually exclusive: more triple option, but less triple option for recruiting ... this really is a deceptive offense after all. But the sad truth is Johnson can fire off howitzers on offense but when we have to give the ball back ... well, we see what happens.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If Johnson is to be believed and if my eyes are to be believed, give or take windage, it is not a triple option offense.

Fair enough. Johnson himself does not describe it as a true TO because truth be told, he runs TO only about 15% of the time. It's just easier to call it the TO than the Flexbone or the Johnson-Bone or whatever else he is calling it today.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As has been stated before, our offense has gotten stale and predictable.

CPJ needs to update his offense and bring some excitement to the program.

Just curious, how about teams that run more NFL ready schemes? Should uga be looking to "update" their dumpster fire of an offense? Clearly the pro style NFL offense has been figured out.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
No, but I'm getting there. I still care, but it's hard to be as invested in the team when we're bad than when I feel like we actually have a shot. I just have no faith in CPJ to fix the defense.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I buy season tickets as well and will continue to buy them and want CPJ to stay. But like the OP, wait until next year and hope we get the recruits some of you guys believe we are getting. Right now our talent level on defense is abysmal. Not defending Roof or pointed fingers but we don't have the players needed to compete with teams above Vandy and Duke. Also worried about QB which is critical to our offense as is the case with most offenses.
If you think our talent level on defense right now is at the level of being dead last in the entire country on 3rd down % and that a very slightly higher rated recruited class coming in is going to greatly improve that...

youre-going-to-have-a-bad-time.png

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
People who want a new offense just hate their lives and want to find something to ***** about. Its obvious the offense is not the problem.

Respectfully disagree due to the fact that it is more than just what happens on Saturday.

Our system, in recruiting circles, has gotten the "knock" on it. On both D & O. And it makes recruiting more difficult.

And if we lose a game, the O did not score enough & the D did not stop the other team enough.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Respectfully disagree due to the fact that it is more than just what happens on Saturday.

Our system, in recruiting circles, has gotten the "knock" on it. On both D & O. And it makes recruiting more difficult.

And if we lose a game, the O did not score enough & the D did not stop the other team enough.

From 2002-2007 Georgia Tech averaged a recruiting ranking of 55.8 per Rivals and gave up an average of 16.8 points per game

From 2008-2013 we had an average recruiting ranking of 55.6 and gave up an average of 18.55 points per game. So in a span of 10 years we have recruited the exact same with a former NFL pro style coach and a spread option coach it has nothing to do with talent on the defensive side of the ball its coaching over there

Since roof has taken over we have an average recruiting ranking of 51.6 and are giving up 20 points per game. His defensive philosophy doesn't work at Tech. Or anywhere for that matter

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Eli, you could be right about Roof. Dead right.

That said, it looks like since he's gotten here we've recruited better. If there is a lag between improved recruiting and on-field performance, it could be be that we are experiencing that lag right now. Also regarding points per game, one would need to normalize that to whether more points in general are being scored in college football.

I find our lack of improvement on defense this year extremely concerning, and we do appear disorganized on that side of the ball. So it you may be right that Roof is not the guy to improve our defense. I struggle to get a clear read. Studs players have a way of making a coach look like a genius. I don't see the studs right now on D.