Anybody know what these are?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I don't want to hijack the thread, but it was good to see Jon Carman tweet to the current Tech lineman about the device. For you young ones on the board, Jon Carman is a former Georgia Tech All-American offensive tackle (1999) playing beside current OL coach Brent Key and in front of QB Joe Hamilton, played a couple seasons in the NFL, 2012 inductee in the Georgia Tech Sports Hall of Fame. I found a nice article on him. Glad to see former players engaging with the program.
He was one of the largest people to ever step foot on campus, wasn't he?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Wow!

Seems to me this type of high tech may be useful in identifying players who are having medical issues with their overall physical condition. If so, it could play a big part in ensuring that no player has any such issues. If any player has issues, that player will be further evaluated by a doctor and appropriate steps taken for the well-being of that player after the evaluation. (A.J. Gray comes to mind.)

Animal02

Banned
Wow!

Seems to me this type of high tech may be useful in identifying players who are having medical issues with their overall physical condition. If so, it could play a big part in ensuring that no player has any such issues. If any player has issues, that player will be further evaluated by a doctor and appropriate steps taken for the well-being of that player after the evaluation. (A.J. Gray comes to mind.)
Nope....they have toilet seats for that. :LOL:
https://arstechnica.com/science/201...at-monitors-your-heart-as-you-sit-on-the-can/

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Wow!

I agree. Heart issues. But typical SA injuries to the lower body that cause the majority of missed time... Are these devices going to be useful in preventing those? Shoulder injuries in linemen??? Please tell me they'll help prevent those.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I’m not a medical expert, but from the description of the device and what it monitors, I don’t think it can prevent things like lower-body injuries, nor arm injuries, shoulder injuries, bone fractures, and other such things like those.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm no medical expert either, but I think folks are overthinking this.

Is it still accepted theory that an athlete is more likely to get injured when they're fatigued? If so, then at a minimum these devices will indirectly help prevent injuries. These devices measure fatigue via heart rate, miles run, etc.

I don't think anyone is making a claim that when heart rate = x and miles run during practice = y, then we need to sit that player down, otherwise ACL.

Now, maybe they can also measure impact of hits taken via the inertial censors, but I'm not too familiar with that technology.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a quote from a guy folks may remember, Eric Ciano, former GT Director of Player Development.

"The number one goal of this system right now is trying to help prevent injury as well as help us with the rehab process. There are a lot of different things that go in to it, but the biggest thing is how can we monitor guys on the field to help us get the information? What do they really do at their position? How far does a receiver really run in practice? How fast does a receiver run in practice? Then create standards for each positional group to be able to say, ‘Well this guy has done four days in a row in this (work) rate zone, this guy is at risk of injury’.

ERIC CIANO, STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING COORDINATOR, BUFFALO BILLS

https://www.catapultsports.com/products/optimeye-s5

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Here's a quote from a guy folks may remember, Eric Ciano, former GT Director of Player Development.

"The number one goal of this system right now is trying to help prevent injury as well as help us with the rehab process. There are a lot of different things that go in to it, but the biggest thing is how can we monitor guys on the field to help us get the information? What do they really do at their position? How far does a receiver really run in practice? How fast does a receiver run in practice? Then create standards for each positional group to be able to say, ‘Well this guy has done four days in a row in this (work) rate zone, this guy is at risk of injury’.

Great information! It corrects many of my initial assumptions. Thank you for posting it.

However, I don’t think it can prevent any injuries like an ACL tear, bone fracture, dislocated shoulder, etc. while a player is non-fatigued.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
You criticized someone for not reading the comments, and didn’t read the timestamps? ;)
I think you're late to this. This thread was started again this morning by @dressedcheeseside, but then it all got merged into this one that already existed from Monday. That's who I was quoting. The comments I refer to on the tweet were from 2 days ago. So he saw and posted the tweet this morning, but somehow missed the comments, AND the thread already in place about it. :D

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

After reading that I feel like it's just a fancy fitbit.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Not defending mbob by any means, but FWIW, back when he approved that, 4 could cost the same then as 40 today. Tech usually gets cheap fast.

Very true but I don't think the price has changed much. I know a while back at work we were working on a basketball project with a Pac-12 school and Catapult and equipping the entire team wasn't expensive at all. Scaling to 85 for GT football wasn't a huge jump, Sasquatch just didn't want to do it. I think he just liked saying, "No" because he enjoyed being a bureaucrat.

Ultimately, it just shows that TStan cares just a little bit more about football and helping the team.