Any room for more transfers?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Is there anymore room to pick up another transfer or two from the portal? Not sure how much more space we have left to bring in more mature and game day ready players from other teams to help establish quality backups who have mature college ready builds and game day reps. If we do have room...Who would we pursue or what are some positions that would be possible needs/gaps? I imagine that there will continue to be players both on GT FB team and others who enter the portal between now and NSD. Again do we have any more room? If not are we still pursuing HS Seniors who didn’t sign early?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
According to Kelly Q. “Geoff Collins said there are more guys they are working on for this week and more that they could add before next NSD and this spring via transfer or HS routes.”
Hopefully the TE out of LSU!

slugboy

Staff member
For transfers, it's just a question of being able to enroll, register for classes, and make academic progress.

ETA: "just a question" is a little more work at GT than, say, South Carolina, since we're harder to enroll in and less kind to transfer credits.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Transfers are not a guaranteed positive result. A majority of them are leaving because they are not making a success of their current home. For sure there are some diamonds in the rough, but I think building a team on transfers is not a sure fire way to the top. We will probably have to wait another year or two for payment of players to be allowed, then we can just buy who we want.

Go Jackets!

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Transfers are not a guaranteed positive result. A majority of them are leaving because they are not making a success of their current home. For sure there are some diamonds in the rough, but I think building a team on transfers is not a sure fire way to the top. We will probably have to wait another year or two for payment of players to be allowed, then we can just buy who we want.

Go Jackets!
I think the staff is trying to build quality depth via the portal. Otherwise, we would have taken a lot more in 2019. Also, buying players is already happening at our neighbors to the NE and just across the border in SC. Transfers without penalty might be the only way to rob some of these schools of their immense talent advantage. All of us want the Jackets to succeed and the portal is looking like a building block for success.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Normally I'd say this is mostly true, but I'm not sure I agree with that statement this year. Almost all the kids that are transferring in are local kids that are coming home. Most of these kids have left after their first or second year, so it's not like they've really been passed by younger recruits and see the writing on the wall. With CoViD19 kids see the benefits of being closer to home. So, for some this might be true, but I think for most, these kids aren't the type of kids you're describing.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Most of the transfers coming in are freshmen with 4 years of eligibility or experienced guys who should be able to help immediately. It is too early to judge the freshmen and most experienced guys have been day 1 starters. If White and Cochran are as good as people say they are (NFL draft prospects) i would expect that trend to continue.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We will probably have to wait another year or two for payment of players to be allowed, then we can just buy who we want.

Go Jackets!

Paying players has already been a thing. For decades now. And due to the education we received, we will not pony up. After all, we want to be millionaires too as was promised. But we will continue to complain. This pattern is decades old now.