Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Based on what's been coming out about the staff and how their program is being run, and even how our AD is letting this slide. We better do something soon.
I'm not holding my breath it will happen during the season, but right now Collins and staff seem to be doing the exact opposite of what they set out to do with the program.

slugboy

Staff member
What, precisely, are you talking about? Are you saying that it is illogical to call for Geoff to be fired now? Because I can trot out a number of logical reasons to support that position, even if you may disagree.
Logic and the accepted precepts behind it are two different things. We may differ on the precepts and arrive at different conclusions using the same logical format.

Many of our “logical” posts are concluding that it’s clear as crystal that we should fire Collins today, but Stansbury inconceivably and illogically chooses not to do that.

I’m pretty sure Stansbury watches our games, and sees much more of what’s going on than we do. So, either the team is doing the right things, but somehow it’s not converting into visible improvements (doubtful), or he’s got a front seat view to our issues and he’s more aware of them than we are. If it’s the latter, why not fire Collins?

Either Stansbury is unable to be as rational as the posters in this thread, or fixing this now is far harder than most of us are considering. My bet is on the latter case.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
What, precisely, are you talking about? Are you saying that it is illogical to call for Geoff to be fired now? Because I can trot out a number of logical reasons to support that position, even if you may disagree.
Logic and the accepted precepts behind it are two different things. We may differ on the precepts and arrive at different conclusions using the same logical format.

Go back and read the original post I replied to. It's evident you are just looking to argue at this point. I've already explained it twice now.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Many of our “logical” posts are concluding that it’s clear as crystal that we should fire Collins today, but Stansbury inconceivably and illogically chooses not to do that.

I’m pretty sure Stansbury watches our games, and sees much more of what’s going on than we do. So, either the team is doing the right things, but somehow it’s not converting into visible improvements (doubtful), or he’s got a front seat view to our issues and he’s more aware of them than we are. If it’s the latter, why not fire Collins?

Either Stansbury is unable to be as rational as the posters in this thread, or fixing this now is far harder than most of us are considering. My bet is on the latter case.
Well, I can see both sides of the coin. All things considered, it's not illogical to keep CGC on and it's not illogical to fire him now. The two opinions simply base their thinking on different accepted precepts, or give differing weights to those precepts. Conflicting accepted precepts can lead to opposite conclusions - both of which are arrived at by logical means. I think he should be canned now, but I can see the other side of the argument and I own that I may be wrong.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Go back and read the original post I replied to. It's evident you are just looking to argue at this point. I've already explained it twice now.
I found your explanation insufficient. I did read it, and I don't think it has anything to do with the concept of "logic". Logic is a system of arriving at determinations, not the determinations themselves.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I saw this AJC ePaper article on the AJC ePaper app and thought you’d be interested.

Georgia Tech’s Geoff Collins has no good argument for critics

For more great content like this subscribe to the AJC ePaper app here: https://myaccount.ajc.com/ajc/home
1663722760246.png

rush3225

Georgia Tech Fan
I received a post card from the GTAA today asking me to update my profile and share my memories on the flats. The post card is similar to the email that I received earlier in the week. I don’t recall this type of outreach in the past so maybe something is going on behind the scenes.
I also received the “Supporter Verification Request” in today’s mail, along with the GTAA 2022-23 Alexander Tharpe Fund solicitation package.

Although both mailings probably went out on Saturday, I cannot think of a worse time for GTAA to be contacting me about giving more money and sharing memories.

And although I wish it were so, I do not think the postcard is an indication that “something is going on behind the scenes”.

TStan continues to amaze.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Fixing GT football the way we're trying to fix it is WAY harder than many envisioned. This is not 1995 or 1988. The environment has changed & it's no longer as easy to do what O'Leary & Ross did. Not impossible, just not nearly as easy. Then you got fixing GT football to a standard of accomplishment we've never historically achieved, like winning 9 games a season on average and occasionally competing for National Championships. That is damn near impossible, again not impossible but highly unlikely.

Fixing GT football to the best levels we're consistently sustained like 7 wins a season, an occasional romp into the Top 10, is not that hard. 3 of the last 4 coaches did it, 4 of the last 6. Curry his last 5 years, Pepper & Fulcher would have won 7 in a 13 game schedule. That would be 7 of last 9. It can be done.

Only Collins, Lewis, Carson and Andree in the history of GT football never made it over that bar. That's it, 4 coaches in 121 of playing football on The Flats.

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
Fixing GT football the way we're trying to fix it is WAY harder than many envisioned. This is not 1995 or 1988. The environment has changed & it's no longer as easy to do what O'Leary & Ross did. Not impossible, just not nearly as easy. Then you got fixing GT football to a standard of accomplishment we've never historically achieved, like winning 9 games a season on average and occasionally competing for National Championships. That is damn near impossible, again not impossible but highly unlikely.

Fixing GT football to the best levels we're consistently sustained like 7 wins a season, an occasional romp into the Top 10, is not that hard. 3 of the last 4 coaches did it, 4 of the last 6. Curry his last 5 years, Pepper & Fulcher would have won 7 in a 13 game schedule. That would be 7 of last 9. It can be done.

Only Collins, Lewis, Carson and Andree in the history of GT football never made it over that bar. That's it, 4 coaches in 121 of playing football on The Flats.
Andree?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'd be interested in hearing your take on this as my defeatist attitude is leading me very quickly down the "athletics not part of the core mission" path.
The ideal of sound mind in sound body, understanding yourself as a physical creature, the pursuit of beauty in mastering an athletic feat, learning wisdom by discovering your limits….the list goes on.

As universities developed they began to see the additional advantage of having a diverse curriculum which included different kinds of learning in different fields. In the modern era universities that pursue an ideal thousands of years old sought greater diversity in the student body to reflect a rich and diverse learning experience. Athletics were a big key to this.

The problem is that much of the modern impetus to win in large revenue sports is pushing more and more to segregate athletes from the student body, which cuts against the ideals of the tradition. But that’s another discussion.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

This isn't meant to be a comparison to Johnson: We were VERY close to making the CFP in 2014 while the AD at the time was actively working against the football team. (likely at the request of some of the boosters) There were three games on conference championship Saturday that if they went a certain way GT could have been in the playoffs. Alabama and Ohio State couldn't have just lost, they would have had to have been blown out. That Saturday morning it was extremely unlikely that every game would turnout just right to get Tech into the playoffs, but we were on the edge the day before the selections.

I am convinced that the actions of that AD have a lot to do with the decline after 2014 and have led to the current state of the program. We were very close only eight years ago. It is possible to get to that level again. It takes more than a very good coach. It takes more than very good players. It takes more than a supportive athletic association. It takes more than high level boosters who donate and stay out of the way. It takes more than fans who buy tickets, support the team financially, and cheer for the team in the stands. It takes all of those thing together. While we are complaining about some of those pieces, let's not forget our part in that equation.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The problem is that much of the modern impetus to win in large revenue sports is pushing more and more to segregate athletes from the student body, which cuts against the ideals of the tradition. But that’s another discussion.
Actually, I think that’s the lions share of the discussion. Its not about enrichment, it’s about exception.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
While we are complaining about some of those pieces, let's not forget our part in that equation.
I'm doing my part, I'm not longer going to be an enabler. I flushed the crack down the toilet & am not giving Stansbury money to go buy more. Pease join me.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
To those that talk about fixing GT football.
It's been broken for years, was broken under CPJ and Galey. CPJ often talked a lot about the funding , facilities and the general lack of fanbase.
But a lot can be cured by bringing excitement back to the program as well as winning.
If you take collins excitement and vision and apply that to another coach that actually knows how to deliver on his promises , the program can rebound.
Whats frustrating now is that you have both GSUs in the state that could probably beat tech , and probably draw more fans