Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Question: Oct 8 we play at home vs Duke. Also on that same date, Ga State plays Ga Southern also in ATL. Which game has the higher attendance?

Personal note, I was looking forward to pulling a double that day, but now I'm not sure.
Has kickoff for GSU vs GSU been set yet? I hadn't realized that game was the same day. I may try to pull off the double if the timing is right.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
i just have a feeling if we take any advice on these contracts and buyout negotiations from the swarm everyone involved is gonna get sued and we’re gonna end up paying way more money lol
Well, I’ll just do what all of these dang architects engineers and consultants try to do to me... I hereby state for the record that my liability is limited to the amount of the agreed fees for my services...

And if anyone would like to pay me, I will increase my limit of liability accordingly...

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm just wondering did anyone bother to look at other contracts to see if the Jan 1st language is actually unique? Because to me, it looks fairly common with the actual outliers having the period end in january. I strongly doubt it'll prevent us from making the change right after the uga game.
I haven't checked a ton of other contracts but ones off the top of my head that have differing dates are Scott Frost and Justin Fuente.

Frost's buyout was set to drop October 1st and the Huskers infamously chose to payout nearly 8 million dollars to fire him 3 weeks earlier. And we're fretting about $3M for 2.5 months earlier. They are in a different league.
https://www.1011now.com/2022/09/19/...tober-cost-university-nebraska-millions-more/

Fuente's buyout was set to drop Dec. 15th and they also went ahead and fired him, paying the $2.5M premium
https://footballscoop.com/news/justin-fuentes-contract-buyout-situation-virginia-tech

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
51C48E6C-BF5A-440C-B184-50819F64681B.jpeg

JacketFan137

Banned
What choice would they have? It will be part of CGC's damaging heritage. We have to get back to recruiting hs kids asap.
i don’t think one way or the other is really right. good coaches are gonna find talent whatever avenue they can. i just meant for first year coaches the optimal way is likely the portal based on timing.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm for firing him now, but if we wanted to wait until the end of the season and save some buyout money, I can't understand why we couldn't announce his firing on November 28 to take effect January 1 and hire a new coach whose tenure would begin on that day. We wouldn't actually have to wait until January 1 to do that, would we?

There are a bunch of ideas floating around about negotiating with Collins to make the buyout more amenable or bringing in a coach but structuring the contract so it doesn't go into effect after Jan. 1, etc. etc. I have no idea how feasible some of these are (my gut is telling me not very based off similar situations at other schools) but who are we trusting to do any of these crafty maneuvers? TStan? The guy who negotiated the contract in the first place? The guy who couldn't be trusted to pay his own buyout to Oregon State? The more I think about that the more I think TStan goes with Collins and they hire a new AD. He may do well with other sports but I have trouble seeing how you put that guy in charge of making the next hire. And for all the good with other sports, as we're seeing now, the decision around the football coach has higher stakes in dollars and cents than just about every other sport combined.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve argued in the fast, unsuccessfully to “bottom line” people, that higher education was built on a Greek ideal of excellence and a balanced spirit that Tech was one of the last proponents of in the modern age. I’m still capable of having that discussion at length but it cuts against the grain of our times. I fear we know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.
I agree and am seriously considering emailing President Cabrerra

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve argued in the fast, unsuccessfully to “bottom line” people, that higher education was built on a Greek ideal of excellence and a balanced spirit that Tech was one of the last proponents of in the modern age. I’m still capable of having that discussion at length but it cuts against the grain of our times. I fear we know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.
I'd be interested in hearing your take on this as my defeatist attitude is leading me very quickly down the "athletics not part of the core mission" path.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I received a post card from the GTAA today asking me to update my profile and share my memories on the flats. The post card is similar to the email that I received earlier in the week. I don’t recall this type of outreach in the past so maybe something is going on behind the scenes.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There are a bunch of ideas floating around about negotiating with Collins to make the buyout more amenable or bringing in a coach but structuring the contract so it doesn't go into effect after Jan. 1, etc. etc. I have no idea how feasible some of these are (my gut is telling me not very based off similar situations at other schools) but who are we trusting to do any of these crafty maneuvers? TStan? The guy who negotiated the contract in the first place? The guy who couldn't be trusted to pay his own buyout to Oregon State? The more I think about that the more I think TStan goes with Collins and they hire a new AD. He may do well with other sports but I have trouble seeing how you put that guy in charge of making the next hire. And for all the good with other sports, as we're seeing now, the decision around the football coach has higher stakes in dollars and cents than just about every other sport combined.
Money isn't everything, but the money generated by football is important to all those other sports which are mostly non-revenue producing.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You can disagree with the logic, and differ on how you apply the logic. Still misses the point I made to the OP, which stands. People aren't responding to or generally using logic right now. These threads are fueled by raw emotion.
What, precisely, are you talking about? Are you saying that it is illogical to call for Geoff to be fired now? Because I can trot out a number of logical reasons to support that position, even if you may disagree.
Logic and the accepted precepts behind it are two different things. We may differ on the precepts and arrive at different conclusions using the same logical format.