Antwan Owens Enters the Transfer Portal

bos

Helluva Engineer
He graduated, it's not uncommon. Also, since he's a DE the team won't be looking at replacing him in the portal. They already have.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Are we still permitted to say got out? How about look left...
I think it is a phrase that is not approved of anymore since I have heard they have changed things such that almost everybody graduates. It's wonderful and sad all at the same time.Just like "rats on the field", "damn good rats", "rats get some tail", "top 2 ten,choke it and cheese it", "drownproofing" and "quarter beer night at One-Eyed Jack's" are things of the past. If you still use these phrases, which I do, you reveal yourself as a dinosaur. So yeah, I got out.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it is a phrase that is not approved of anymore since I have heard they have changed things such that almost everybody graduates. It's wonderful and sad all at the same time.Just like "rats on the field", "damn good rats", "rats get some tail", "top 2 ten,choke it and cheese it", "drownproofing" and "quarter beer night at One-Eyed Jack's" are things of the past. If you still use these phrases, which I do, you reveal yourself as a dinosaur. So yeah, I got out.
“Damn good RAT” is definitely still a thing. As for most students graduating, I’d say that has more to do with admissions standards getting tougher than the school getting easier.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
“Damn good RAT” is definitely still a thing. As for most students graduating, I’d say that has more to do with admissions standards getting tougher than the school getting easier.
I wouldn't say school got easier, I just don't think the emphasis on winnowing down the classes exists anymore. A big part of that has to do with the improvement in Georgia schools. When 60% of your accepted students have to be from Georgia HS's, there used to be a whole bunch of kids admitted that they knew would never graduate. With the Hope Scholarship, more of the top kids in the state stayed home and the HS's got better. Combine those two things with a move away from weeding out and you have a much higher graduation rate without any sacrifice in the quality of education offered.

slugboy

Staff member
I wouldn't say school got easier, I just don't think the emphasis on winnowing down the classes exists anymore. A big part of that has to do with the improvement in Georgia schools. When 60% of your accepted students have to be from Georgia HS's, there used to be a whole bunch of kids admitted that they knew would never graduate. With the Hope Scholarship, more of the top kids in the state stayed home and the HS's got better. Combine those two things with a move away from weeding out and you have a much higher graduation rate without any sacrifice in the quality of education offered.
I don’t think Tech got easier. It’s a whole lot harder to get into, for one thing.

Crecine was the first president to take on the fail out culture, and even though I went through it, I think the new way is better. Emag as a physics weed out course meant “yes you got a B or C and got through it”, but you came out not really knowing Emag—you knew how to get past a test and move on. Most of my fellow students seemed to get through a class more than retain what was in that class. Getting past an obstacle is a good skill, but actually learning something is a better one—especially these days.

Most people I know think the quality has gone up.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think Tech got easier. It’s a whole lot harder to get into, for one thing.

Crecine was the first president to take on the fail out culture, and even though I went through it, I think the new way is better. Emag as a physics weed out course meant “yes you got a B or C and got through it”, but you came out not really knowing Emag—you knew how to get past a test and move on. Most of my fellow students seemed to get through a class more than retain what was in that class. Getting past an obstacle is a good skill, but actually learning something is a better one—especially these days.

Most people I know think the quality has gone up.
It's the oldest recruiting maxim there is: "Don't recruit problems." Tech has raised entrance standards to avoid problems; no need for a flunk 'em culture when you are getting good students across the board. I think this is a good approach, regardless of what you are recruiting for.

And, yes, losing Owens is a blow. He would have been a real contributor this coming year. But - for the time being, at least - this is something college football is going to have to adjust to.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes it's hard for our graduates to get into the graduate program they want to. Not saying that's what's happened here, but the MBA program (that normal master's program for a Business Administration undergraduate) is really hard to get into for our players.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Sometimes it's hard for our graduates to get into the graduate program they want to. Not saying that's what's happened here, but the MBA program (that normal master's program for a Business Administration undergraduate) is really hard to get into for our players.

I've heard this as well. Wish the Hill could figure out a way to help the team out in this area.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
For all the bellyaching about transfers, has one gone to a better program than GT?
The only one I can think of that has gone to a P5 program is Brown. I heard Beamer somewhat lamenting the high number of scholarship WRs they have, saying they have more than most teams. They really don't have any proven WRs, and I haven't heard him mention Brown when discussing WRs. It will be interesting to see how that one turns out.