Anthony Williams

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Anthony got screwed at GT. Dieke really deserved to play every snap? What a joke. One failed drug test 4 years ago, whereas Waller has at least two now? CPJ obviously thinks Waller is more important. People are delusional if they don't think this program pushes some guys out who they feel have milked all they can out of them. "Violation of team rules". There's guys getting caught cheating all the time and still get to stay. If I was Anthony I would've commented "Amen" to Dwyer's post too. CPJ led that guy on for years and never gave him a chance in a game. Dieke was probably one of the least productive players I have ever seen, on any level, for his size. Granted CPJ doesn't do it like most SEC factories, but it does happen and there are multiple players who have been "pushed out" of the program.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
i think GT does run players off in their own way. For sure. We don't blatantly do it, but there are messages given to kids. What was Dwyers post you refer too?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I am good friends with Anthony, but the only person that screwed Anthony was himself.

So am I. I didn't see him doing anything worse than what a lot of players in the program are doing. I guess he screwed himself by being honest about his opinion on the state of the program by commenting "Amen", which I guess is out of bounds if you're a player. But if you were Ant and saw the (lack of) production of the guy in front of you, wouldn't you be pissed too? He definitely could have handled it better, but I guarantee you if he sucked up to CPJ and apologized and listened directly to CPJ's orders (Chris Jackson) he would've been allowed back.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
i think GT does run players off in their own way. For sure. We don't blatantly do it, but there are messages given to kids. What was Dwyers post you refer too?

After the bowl game JD made a post on Facebook saying something like "Okay GT its time for a change". And Ant commented "Amen". CPJ was looking for a reason to free up a scholly, and that sentiment is not just held by me.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I saw nothing on film that indicated Williams was the answer.

What film on him? Obviously he wasn't "the answer". I'm just talking production. Ant played in 7 games and through the entire season he probably played 10% of snaps compared to Dieke. Yet they had the same number of sacks and TFL. The fact that we didn't rotate the line at all is probably a significant reason why our two DL transferred this off-season.

I don't think Ant is some great football player who was stuck on the bench, it's just obvious there was some politics in play that hurt our team's production.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
So am I. I didn't see him doing anything worse than what a lot of players in the program are doing. I guess he screwed himself by being honest about his opinion on the state of the program by commenting "Amen", which I guess is out of bounds if you're a player. But if you were Ant and saw the (lack of) production of the guy in front of you, wouldn't you be pissed too? He definitely could have handled it better, but I guarantee you if he sucked up to CPJ and apologized and listened directly to CPJ's orders (Chris Jackson) he would've been allowed back.

This might come as a shocker to you but maybe he just wasn't as good as you think he is.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
This might come as a shocker to you but maybe he just wasn't as good as you think he is.

I don't think he is "that good". Just compare their stats or re-watch the games and tell me Dieke deserved every snap. Ant isn't some all conference player that we didn't play. But I do think he was just as if not better than the guy in front of him.

Last edited:

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Well I'm glad he got his degree. We are all entitled to our opinions, but I'm willing to bet none of you will publicly condemn your boss at work... Glad he kept his farewell classy and wish him all the best!

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Gratz on the degree from Tech! Just think a degree from GT Tech will provide for you longer/more than many NFL careers. Keep in mind I said many... some make more in a short span but bankrupt is still bankrupt, while you will be earning a good living for many years.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I believe when Anthony committed to Tech, DW was still the DC and we were running the 4-3, so I do think Anthony probably got a little screwed by all of the coaching changes. With that being said, he appeared to do some dumb things and PJ probably didn't care about losing him, so both parties probably got what they wanted.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Let's be honest, he got his degree from GT, he didn't think he was going to be an all ACC star for us this year (either he wouldn't have a chance to earn it or wasn't going to even if given the chance- we'll never know and I'm not friends with him or at practice so I don't know the story) so we were no longer in a mutually beneficial relationship. He's going to Troy to see if he can get into the NFL (shockingly not their world class education) and I really hope he makes it. If he doesn't, he has an education that can't be taken away from him and by no means did he get screwed in this deal. He came to GT to earn a degree let's not forget that. You know who does get screwed? Kids who fork over $60K+/year to major in History at an Ivy League school, not this guy.

Maybe he wasn't given the best chance to earn the job, but he was given a chance every day in practice. He competed for the job, he didn't TAKE it.