Another AMAZING stat from last night

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I am starting to think Roof is a bit of a mad genius. It almost feels like there is a stretch of soft play sucking the QBs in to expecting something then sudden scheme or alignment change and pow! Get a big play interception/sack. Obviously, that is unintentional and just the "feel" I get but the big plays our defense has been able to come up with seem to so routinely be at critical points that it practically seems planned that way.
There was one play in particular (I think Q3, a 3rd and mid-short) where I believed we baited Kaaya into an audible that gave us an advantage where we shut them down. We lined up in a soft zone look and he called an audible, and we immediately adjusted into a completely different front and stuffed their run to the right side. Someone did the same thing to us a couple years ago, I think when TW was starting and was allowed one check per play.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are doing everything we can on defense. It is going to be a battle all year. That is all I can say.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
I am starting to think Roof is a bit of a mad genius. It almost feels like there is a stretch of soft play sucking the QBs in to expecting something then sudden scheme or alignment change and pow! Get a big play interception/sack. Obviously, that is unintentional and just the "feel" I get but the big plays our defense has been able to come up with seem to so routinely be at critical points that it practically seems planned that way.
He is doing the best with what he has, no doubt. And the guys are coming up with key plays when they need it. In the absence of a dominating defense, I'll take it. Consider that Miami put up 31 on Nebraska and 17 on us. That had more to do with keep away than domination, but it is a team sport after all.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
The 9 yards per play is partially the Duke Johnson effect, we seriously can NOT stop that guy.

And how the crap do you get 9 yards per pop over a whole game and come away with only 17 points?
Playing ball control and time of possession is the only prayer we have of stopping Gurley this year too, presuming he isn't injured.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
We have zero (0) dominate d lineman. But I think we all knew that coming into the season. That is the main reason we struggle. We get no penetration from the front 4 except occasionally shawn green. The only time we get pressure is from a blitz and roof seems to rather play the 7 drop rush 4 defense Than the bring 6 drop 5. Yet Everytime we blitz, something good happens.

We need to bring pressure at least one play per 4 downs. We cannot continue to try and cover for 8-10 secs with no pressure. Someone is going to get open, like they have been doing.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We have zero (0) dominate d lineman. But I think we all knew that coming into the season. That is the main reason we struggle. We get no penetration from the front 4 except occasionally shawn green. The only time we get pressure is from a blitz and roof seems to rather play the 7 drop rush 4 defense Than the bring 6 drop 5. Yet Everytime we blitz, something good happens.

We need to bring pressure at least one play per 4 downs. We cannot continue to try and cover for 8-10 secs with no pressure. Someone is going to get open, like they have been doing.
I don't see it that way. CTR plays bend don't break defense for a period or two then strategically mixes in changes in coverage, stunts and blitzes. His goal is to give the other team plenty of opportunities to make mistakes, not give up big plays, and, if the other team scores, make them march the length of the field to do it. I really think this is the only way to "nurse" this defense through a game given the talent disadvantage we have at certain positions. The reason good things happen when we blitz is that they are well timed, calculated and unexpected when the occur. If we blitzed more often I suspect we would give up a lot of long touchdowns to teams like Miami and VPI and Duke.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't see it that way. CTR plays bend don't break defense for a period or two then strategically mixes in changes in coverage, stunts and blitzes. His goal is to give the other team plenty of opportunities to make mistakes, not give up big plays, and, if the other team scores, make them march the length of the field to do it. I really think this is the only way to "nurse" this defense through a game given the talent disadvantage we have at certain positions. The reason good things happen when we blitz is that they are well timed, calculated and unexpected when the occur. If we blitzed more often I suspect we would give up a lot of long touchdowns to teams like Miami and VPI and Duke.

I understand what you are saying but i would rather make them beat us making great throws with someone in their face, then standing untouched until someone gets open.

The sit back and give 15 yards of cushion, giving up 8-10 free yards every play just won't work forever. The "bend don't break" defense is honestly one of the most frustrating things to watch as a fan. When its 3rd and 7 a
And our corner is playing 12 yards of the WR and they just run an 8 yard slant over And over is painful to watch

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Over our 5 straight losses to Miami the team had given up an average of 35.8 points per game, over 40 points the last two games. For me the fact that we did not give up half that total this time is enough of a reason to pat the D on the back and not scrutinize them too hard (of course the coaches need to in film study).

Honestly, I am just really enjoying the fact that Tech has actually beat some conference opponents this year without having to score even over 30 points.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I understand what you are saying but i would rather make them beat us making great throws with someone in their face, then standing untouched until someone gets open.

The sit back and give 15 yards of cushion, giving up 8-10 free yards every play just won't work forever. The "bend don't break" defense is honestly one of the most frustrating things to watch as a fan. When its 3rd and 7 a
And our corner is playing 12 yards of the WR and they just run an 8 yard slant over And over is painful to watch
It is painful to watch sometimes. I'm just of the opinion that the alternative might be more painful to watch. :)

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The reason they had only five 3rd down plays was because they had 19 first downs. That is that is 14 without having been put into a 3rd down situation. Good thing we could stop them in the few they had.

The facts behind the facts... Thanks for the information. When they are getting first downs in 2 plays doesn't mean they aren't any good (duh). The turnover difference is what locked up the game for us.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The 9 yards per play is partially the Duke Johnson effect, we seriously can NOT stop that guy.

And how the crap do you get 9 yards per pop over a whole game and come away with only 17 points?

You come away with 17 points because on your 7 drives, you score three times, have two turnovers and get stopped twice. The points per possession at about 2.5 was a bit low because of the turnovers. In a"regular" game with twice that many possessions, you'd score 34 -- even with 4 turnovers!

We were fortunate but the game plan was to hog the ball to keep them off the field. Same plan will be used for other physically superior teams like Clemson or UGAg if we don't get 2 or more scores down. But once we are down two scores, it's stupid to slow the game down. The other team if well coached (may leave UGAg out), will also slow down the game to shorten it.