Andy McCollum

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Good luck to him. He's been a good coach for us. I wouldn't mind seeing him get an opportunity to HC somewhere plus it'll allow us to infuse some new blood onto the defensive coaching staff and on the trail.

Could hurt us more on the recruiting front IMHO.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ga State ????????????????

IMO, I think GA State has the potential to be a really good non-Power 5 team. Wide breadth of academic offerings, non-stringent entrance requirements, smack dab in the middle of a recruiting hotbed, and they are starting to invest in the football program.

Not going to be easy at first because the talent there isn't the greatest, and fan support is putrid, but it they get the right guy...GA State can make some noise.

Personally, I'd see if Navy's OC Ivin Jasper wanted the job. Perfect opportunity for him to finally run his own program and build a legacy and step up to a bigger opportunity 5 years down the road.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Good for him. I'm selfish in the fact that I think he should stay at Tech but you can't fault him for moving on.

To me he's been the glue for the coaches for the last few years.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think too many take the potential of ga state for granted. They have a loooong way to go, but I personally want any competition to fail.

They have an administration that is all in.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Mac is happy and comfortable at Tech. At his age, I doubt he is looking for a big challenge like being HC at Ga. State. He was the HC at Middle Tennessee so he has had the opportunity. I just don't see him moving on unless Coach Johnson is ready for some changes on his staff and signals that to Coach Mac.

GO Jackets!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I would hate to lose and him, it seems to me what ever position group he coaches gets better. This year minus the "loose" coverage our DB's looked to get better especially on tackling, and I think he did a good job with the LB's last year. I wouldn't mind seeing him and roof switch back actually, I think roof was better with the DB's last year than he was with the LB's this year, of course there's a lot that could contribute to it looking that way, but it's just the way I see it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
IMO, I think GA State has the potential to be a really good non-Power 5 team. Wide breadth of academic offerings, non-stringent entrance requirements, smack dab in the middle of a recruiting hotbed, and they are starting to invest in the football program.
And there's one other factor here: GSU has had the highest graduation rate for minority students of any post-secondary institution in the country for several years now. This is not, btw, due to any reduction in standards; they're almost fanatical on that. This should be a real selling point for parents of some recruits.

And, while I hate to see Coach McCollum go, if he wants to try again as a head coach, I agree that GSU would be a good choice.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
He's a good recruiter and he and PJ have been friends a Jong time. PJ is all for his guys movinggood up to HC if it's a good fit for them

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Mccollum was after the ksu job too. This is no big deal. I hope he gets it. We can find good assistants....not always a bad thing

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This could be the biggest loss we might have for 2016 if he leaves. He is a great recruiter and one of those guys you like being around. It would be a big loss for this staff but he deserves a chance if that is what he wants.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Andy is a first class guy. In pre game he will come over to wall around lower west stands and climb up to visit w mom and his wife.
My wife and I went to Texas for thanksgiving and we sent him our tickets next to his family for his use. He wrote me a very gracious txt message.

As an aside his wife was talking about how a certain db was late for class and a "certain" assistant coach had to show up early before breakfast and run. She said that doesn't need to happen again. They seem to really do a lot with the db and welcome them as a part of their family.

After the uga game I sent him a picture of grand kids celebrating the victory. He took time to txt back briefly describing what the guys were doing and how proud he was of them.
Imo he has done a good job brining the db along as the season progressed.

Class