And some people claim evil doesn’t exist in our world

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I understand your point regarding ignoring mistakes. We need to learn from them. There’s proper forums for this, ie libraries. What makes me bristle is the United States, and literally the United States alone, came to the rescue of the world in WWII. There’s no revisionist historian I’m aware of that could concoct a scenario where WWII turned out OK without the United States’ involvement. There’s absolutely no reason for anyone to bash the United States in a building paid for by us to memorialize the actions taken by the United States against evil deeds done by others that didn’t directly involve us. Most egregious is our weak kneed European friends to the east stood idly by while this all unfolded & virtually waited for us to come over and save their butts. They did not give a damn what was happening to the Jews.

We paid for a revisionist historian to defile our nation’s capital with a bunch of after the fact crap about how we should have done more. Generations from now as memories fade people will visit this memorial and come away with incorrect conclusions regrading the United States conduct in WWII. Ugh.

Ahh. Gotcha. Like I said I haven’t visited yet but it sounds like the tenor of the place has taken a page from the Blame America First folks. That’s a shame.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Ahh. Gotcha. Like I said I haven’t visited yet but it sounds like the tenor of the place has taken a page from the Blame America First folks. That’s a shame.

I definitely wouldn’t say that bashing America was an explicit or implicit theme but I was surprised to see the few negative things that I did see. I wouldn’t let them deter me from visiting. There was much more to take away from the museum than these comments which, I believe, are a bit unfair about the U.S.

On the day I visited they only had one pass left to the main exhibit. My wife had already seen it so she let me go to the main exhibit and she went to a much smaller exhibit that didn’t require a pass. She tells me that in the smaller exhibit they mentioned reasons why the U.S. didn’t get involved sooner but still pointed out the U.S. refused to take additional refugees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I understand your point regarding ignoring mistakes. We need to learn from them. There’s proper forums for this, ie libraries. What makes me bristle is the United States, and literally the United States alone, came to the rescue of the world in WWII. There’s no revisionist historian I’m aware of that could concoct a scenario where WWII turned out OK without the United States’ involvement. There’s absolutely no reason for anyone to bash the United States in a building paid for by us to memorialize the actions taken by the United States against evil deeds done by others that didn’t directly involve us. Most egregious is our weak kneed European friends to the east stood idly by while this all unfolded & virtually waited for us to come over and save their butts. They did not give a damn what was happening to the Jews.

We paid for a revisionist historian to defile our nation’s capital with a bunch of after the fact crap about how we should have done more. Generations from now as memories fade people will visit this memorial and come away with incorrect conclusions regrading the United States conduct in WWII. Ugh.
My Dad, who served with the Navy in the Pacific for most of WWII, cancelled his membership in the Smithsonian over this issue. The Smithsonian wound up employing a bunch of code pink types who denounced the USA's use of nuclear weapons to help speed the end of WWII. At that point in the war, the U S Navy was losing a ship a day to Japanese kamikaze attacks...a ship was being sunk every single day. My Dad's ship was on picket duty to protect the fleet off Okinawa...which is where those ships were being attacked and sunk. He was convinced that the use of the nuclear bomb helped save his life. He despised the revisionist history that failed to explain the trade-off between American deaths and Japanese deaths to help end the war swiftly.

He never rejoined the Smithsonian. And neither have I (in his memory).

Deleted member 2897

My Dad, who served with the Navy in the Pacific for most of WWII, cancelled his membership in the Smithsonian over this issue. The Smithsonian wound up employing a bunch of code pink types who denounced the USA's use of nuclear weapons to help speed the end of WWII. At that point in the war, the U S Navy was losing a ship a day to Japanese kamikaze attacks...a ship was being sunk every single day. My Dad's ship was on picket duty to protect the fleet off Okinawa...which is where those ships were being attacked and sunk. He was convinced that the use of the nuclear bomb helped save his life. He despised the revisionist history that failed to explain the trade-off between American deaths and Japanese deaths to help end the war swiftly.

He never rejoined the Smithsonian. And neither have I (in his memory).

In conclusion, war is terrible. All anyone has to do is go visit the World War II Memorial in Washington DC, and read about how many people died both from the United States, and from Allied troops, and around the world. It’s (dropping nuclear bombs) one of those terrible decisions that hurts a bunch of people but saves 100 times more.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
War is the result of failed diplomacy. And sometimes successful diplomacy isn’t a real possibility. The world repeatedly fails to recognize this however.

I pray successful diplomacy is possible with the DPRK and Iran. I suspect it is not, especially with regards to Iran.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
In conclusion, war is terrible. All anyone has to do is go visit the World War II Memorial in Washington DC, and read about how many people died both from the United States, and from Allied troops, and around the world. It’s (dropping nuclear bombs) one of those terrible decisions that hurts a bunch of people but saves 100 times more.
Dresden, Tokyo and other firebombing killed more civilians than the two NUKES. Yes, the Nuke bombs saved many thousands of allied lives and probably more Japanese lives. It was the fanatical refusal to surrender, that made use of the bombs, a difficult, but an appropriate decision on the shoulders of President Truman.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Japanese Army was barbaric. Anyone remember the Rape of Nanking? Japan knew we were preparing to invade their home islands. They were training school girls in the use of pole arms to fight the invasion. The nuke bombings killed far fewer than an amphibious/ paratrooper invasion would have.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Rape of Nanking? Jap soldiers threw babies in the air and caught them on their bayonets. Barbaric?? Yes!! But more so than some late trimester abortion methods in our civilized society??