And some people claim evil doesn’t exist in our world

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don’t have to cite Nazi Germany, Stalin’s Russia, the Khmer Rouge, etc. Though those examples make a pretty clear case imo.

Here is an example much closer geographically and to the here and now.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/0...ear-old-rape-daughters-5-and-6-for-money.html

Blame the drugs if you want. Blame whatever. But these are the faces of evil. And the child victims are irreversibly injured and scarred for life in a way that is hard to comprehend.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is a problem that we'll always have with us. The young woman is obviously a psychopath; her daughters were objects to her to be used however she wanted. Such people are extremely hard to detect. They appear normal and can fit in readily in society; see Ted Bundy as an example. The biggest kicker = we aren't sure how this develops and it can take forms that don't activate the law or the medical establishment until it is too late. Knowing they are out there and we don't know how to find them is unsettling, but we've lived with them for most of civilized history.

And, yes, the young woman in question and the men who raped and abused the children should be punished to the full extent of the law. I'd 25 to life for all of them, given there are multiple counts and multiple victims.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
She needs to be sterilized and imprisoned with no TV or internet.. The sick SOB that raped them needs to be castrated and imprisoned with "Big Johnson" (only stands 5' 10" tall, so the nickname isn't due to height) as his permanent cell mate. Even that is too kind.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Just remember there is a huge difference between a sex offender and a violent offender. Violent offenders can change their spots sexual offenders, as a rule, cannot.

Totally agree. But I think we have gotten too soft on violent offenders also. Armed robbers sentenced to ten years released in three. Takes the teeth out of deterence.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Over the past week, I visited the 9/11 Memorial in NYC and the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in DC. If someone can leave either of these exhibits without acknowledging that evil exists in the world, I would be dumbfounded.

FWIW, I think both of these museums are tastefully done and provide excellent insight into these awful events. I was a little taken aback by the USHMM’s stance about U.S. involvement/non-involvement in WWII but that will require more study on my part but I digress. I would highly recommend these to anyone and I would advise you to allow several hours for each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LibertyTurns

Banned
Over the past week, I visited the 9/11 Memorial in NYC and the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in DC. If someone can leave either of these exhibits without acknowledging that evil exists in the world, I would be dumbfounded.

FWIW, I think both of these museums are tastefully done and provide excellent insight into these awful events. I was a little taken aback by the USHMM’s stance about U.S. involvement/non-involvement in WWII but that will require more study on my part but I digress. I would highly recommend these to anyone and I would advise you to allow several hours for each.

Well the history here is somewhat mixed & I’ll say it again some believe that we need to apologize for everything the United States didn’t do in hindsight instead of celebrating the great gifts our country has provided for the world repeatedly throughout our history with our own blood. That being said anti-semitism was fairly prevalent in the US pre-WW2, there was a really poor estimate of the extent of the Nazis efforts, we didn’t allow as many Jewish refugees into the US as was possible although we did allow more in than any other nation, there was an isolationist bent that was somewhat strong that didn’t even want us to go to war, and some even allege we prioritized winning the war over saving Jews.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Well the history here is somewhat mixed & I’ll say it again some believe that we need to apologize for everything the United States didn’t do in hindsight instead of celebrating the great gifts our country has provided for the world repeatedly throughout our history with our own blood. That being said anti-semitism was fairly prevalent in the US pre-WW2, there was a really poor estimate of the extent of the Nazis efforts, we didn’t allow as many Jewish refugees into the US as was possible although we did allow more in than any other nation, there was an isolationist bent that was somewhat strong that didn’t even want us to go to war, and some even allege we prioritized winning the war over saving Jews.

You knew exactly what I was struggling with. I saw a few signs stating that the U.S. only allowed in X number of refugees, the U.S. didn’t get involved soon enough, the U.S. should have bombed Auschwitz to stop the killings, etc. My first thought was that U.S. DID let in refugees, the U.S. DID get involved and lost 416,800 troops, the U.S. didn’t bomb Auschwitz because their strategy was to try to bring a quick end to the war. As far as I know, the U.S. wasn’t required to do any of these things. I’m also not sure why the U.S. was singled out when there were many countries that never got involved and never contributed. The U.S. was not a super power in WWII and was still recovering from the Great Depression so I’m not sure why the U.S. would be “expected” to do these things. Anyway, I’m reading right now trying to learn more about these things.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You knew exactly what I was struggling with. I saw a few signs stating that the U.S. only allowed in X number of refugees, the U.S. didn’t get involved soon enough, the U.S. should have bombed Auschwitz to stop the killings, etc. My first thought was that U.S. DID let in refugees, the U.S. DID get involved and lost 416,800 troops, the U.S. didn’t bomb Auschwitz because their strategy was to try to bring a quick end to the war. As far as I know, the U.S. wasn’t required to do any of these things. I’m also not sure why the U.S. was singled out when there were many countries that never got involved and never contributed. The U.S. was not a super power in WWII and was still recovering from the Great Depression so I’m not sure why the U.S. would be “expected” to do these things. Anyway, I’m reading right now trying to learn more about these things.

There’s a portion of this country that believes we need to apologize for everything, like our forefathers were supposed to be perfect human beings with perfect insight into everything. I really don’t know why people can’t understand that the world evolves. We’re an imperfect union & history will look back at us and question decisions we made just as we look back & question the past.

The fact that we constructed a monument in our nation’s Capitol to memorialize the holocaust but used it as an opportunity to crap on the United States shows the level of disgust some in our government have for our nation. It’s really pretty insidious how these folks function and they’ll damage us in any way possible.

Deleted member 2897

There’s a portion of this country that believes we need to apologize for everything, like our forefathers were supposed to be perfect human beings with perfect insight into everything. I really don’t know why people can’t understand that the world evolves. We’re an imperfect union & history will look back at us and question decisions we made just as we look back & question the past.

The fact that we constructed a monument in our nation’s Capitol to memorialize the holocaust but used it as an opportunity to crap on the United States shows the level of disgust some in our government have for our nation. It’s really pretty insidious how these folks function and they’ll damage us in any way possible.

There actually is a measurable portion of our country who thinks our original founding was so flawed with the allowance of slavery, for example (most of the founders were space owners), that we should rip up the constitution and start over from scratch.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I haven’t been yet so I can’t judge the tenor of the facts / criticisms of the museum. And I don’t think the US needs to apologize for every misstep made in our history.

Having said that, it would also be foolish to ignore the mistakes that were made simply in light of the things we have done right.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Having said that, it would also be foolish to ignore the mistakes that were made simply in light of the things we have done right.
I understand your point regarding ignoring mistakes. We need to learn from them. There’s proper forums for this, ie libraries. What makes me bristle is the United States, and literally the United States alone, came to the rescue of the world in WWII. There’s no revisionist historian I’m aware of that could concoct a scenario where WWII turned out OK without the United States’ involvement. There’s absolutely no reason for anyone to bash the United States in a building paid for by us to memorialize the actions taken by the United States against evil deeds done by others that didn’t directly involve us. Most egregious is our weak kneed European friends to the east stood idly by while this all unfolded & virtually waited for us to come over and save their butts. They did not give a damn what was happening to the Jews.

We paid for a revisionist historian to defile our nation’s capital with a bunch of after the fact crap about how we should have done more. Generations from now as memories fade people will visit this memorial and come away with incorrect conclusions regrading the United States conduct in WWII. Ugh.