An insult to JT and GT

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
IMHO, saying "He is still a Georgia Tech quarterback" is an insult to both JT and Georgia Tech as a program. Yes I know how the slingers pile up the numbers, so let's add this to the bulletin board in the locker room.
I'm not sure if you take it this way, but when he said "he is still a Georgia tech quarterback" I take that as in Georgia tech doesn't pass enough because he followed up with "he will not throw enough" (yes I know captain obvious here). I see that more of a fact than anything. If you look at the prior quarterbacks to win they all had crazy passing numbers, and that's what they want out of a Heisman qb. I could see it being an insult if he didn't give the reason why. If we were a passing team I doubt he would have said that. So to me it's not so much because he's a gt qb but because gt qbs don't throw that much.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure if you take it this way, but when he said "he is still a Georgia tech quarterback" I take that as in Georgia tech doesn't pass enough because he followed up with "he will not throw enough" (yes I know captain obvious here). I see that more of a fact than anything. If you look at the prior quarterbacks to win they all had crazy passing numbers, and that's what they want out of a Heisman qb. I could see it being an insult if he didn't give the reason why. If we were a passing team I doubt he would have said that. So to me it's not so much because he's a gt qb but because gt qbs don't throw that much.

He's still saying that an option qb can't win the Heisman, and I don't think that's necessarily true.

The last option QB whose team was in the national conversation won it.

When you look only at recent winners, you're looking at a time of top teams without running qbs.

Tim Tebow threw for more than 3200 yards with 32 Tds. He also ran for almost 900 yards and 23 Tds. That's over 4000 yards of offense and 55 Tds. I don't think this offense is set up for a QB to produce those type numbers.Urban Meyer is producing the same numbers with his QBs at Ohio State.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
He's still saying that an option qb can't win the Heisman, and I don't think that's necessarily true.

The last option QB whose team was in the national conversation won it.

When you look only at recent winners, you're looking at a time of top teams without running qbs.
I agree with that, I'm just saying its a rare thing. Plus it's a lot different of a time period now, and most people want a ton of passing yards.

Declinometer

Banned
Tim Tebow threw for more than 3200 yards with 32 Tds. He also ran for almost 900 yards and 23 Tds. That's over 4000 yards of offense and 55 Tds. I don't think this offense is set up for a QB to produce those type numbers.Urban Meyer is producing the same numbers with his QBs at Ohio State.

And still there are the haters that say he can't win in the NFL. Blows my mind!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What does GT and JeT need to do to win the Heisman? Stats of the last 5 Heisman winners, and where their teams were ranked:

Marcus Mariotta (2014)
Passing: 3,783 yards/38TDs/2INTs
Rushing: 669/14TDs
Team Ranking: #2

Jameis Winston (2013)
Passing: 4,057/40TDs/10INTs
Rushing: 219/4TDs
Team Ranking: #1

Johnny Manziel (2012)
Passing: 3,706/26TDs/9INTs
Rushing: 1,410/21TDs
Team Ranking: #5

Robert Griffin III (2011)
Passing: 4,293/37TDs/6INTs
Rushing: 699/10TDs
Team Ranking: #12

Cam Newton (2010)
Passing: 2,854/30TDs/7INTs
Rushing: 1,473/20TDs
Team Ranking: #2

The Heisman is a dog and pony show. JeT will need to make ESPN highlight type plays in big games, put up big numbers, and GT will need to be in the hunt for a conference championship and possibly a playoff spot. That said, GT's schedule will give JeT an opportunity to make big plays on national television, this offense can help QBs put up BIG numbers (see Tracy Ham), and we should be in the hunt for the ACC title and a playoff spot.

The ingredients are there...now JeT and GT needs to get the job done ON THE FIELD.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If he makes a correct read and pitches it to an A-Back for a 50 yard gain he wont get nearly the same credit a passing QB gets for hitting a short crossing route that goes for a 50 yard gain.
We had a very lengthy discussion on this very thing several weeks ago on FTRS. The formation and offense that Tech runs is essentially a run and shoot offense with pitches, tosses and reads replacing all the dink passes. A correct read that leads to a 50 yard touchdown is the same regardless of how the ball was delivered.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Sorry if I missed a thread on this, but just saw on ESPN insider a story on the Bovada's Heisman Trophy odds of winning. And it has this comment:

Justin Thomas, Georgia Tech QB (33-1): Thomas is good. So is his team. But let’s not get carried away. He is still a Georgia Tech quarterback. He will not throw enough to merit serious consideration.

True he may not throw enough, but when he does he does it well. This is a complete insult of both the Tech QB and the Georgia Tech football program as a whole, in my opinion. I may not renew my insider when it expires now.
If the goal is to win, then Thomas's situation will speak for itself. It does seem odd to think that voters would ignore that, and the elegance and execution of option football, the Saturday display of technical and physical brilliance of an offense no other QB in the country could run nearly as well. Then push it to the rear of a busload of chuck and ducks and dink and dodge cement shoes big mooses who, should the forward pass be outlawed, would not have a position to play? If Tech wins Thomas will be at the finish line for the Heisman. May be a beauty contest then, but it always has been. If, on the other hand, Tech doesn't win, then he would not have earned it. That is the brutal nature of competitive athletics. I think Tech will win, and until September this is just another off-season make-work piece.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
The fact that JTquarterbacks TECH also may help him. If he and TECH start strong this year, then a great case can be made for the fact that he is the primary factor taking TECH to a new level. Additionally the "high school offense that no one can stop" makes for great press. JT is unique and the offense is atypical, he will stand out from the crowd. Heisman's certainly aren't easy to win, but I wouldn't count him out yet.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Sorry to break it to you but he's right. This is far from the Eric Crouch days. QB's are putting up 3,000 plus yards passing and still running for a stack.
We have a system. The system works when ran properly. The QB may stir the but that doesn't equate to great stats. If the tosses to AB were to count then he could get those stats, but they don't.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Sorry to break it to you but he's right. This is far from the Eric Crouch days. QB's are putting up 3,000 plus yards passing and still running for a stack.
We have a system. The system works when ran properly. The QB may stir the but that doesn't equate to great stats. If the tosses to AB were to count then he could get those stats, but they don't.

Well. thanks for "breaking it" to us. I guess we should just defer to your expertise in all things college football. Especially in light of last off-season when Vad's transfer was announced:

https://gtswarm.com/threads/addressing-the-vad-lee-situation.1510/

I don't blame him, CPJ basically neutered him of what he does best

How will this affect the locker room? ... Geez toxic ain't the word

I have 0 faith in JT

Next season is a tragedy

Honestly do you think he can sale [sic] a qb on coming here just running his base offense?
I have no problem with you expressing a different pov, but don't "break it to" us like you know better.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Lemme put it this way.

I don't know who is going to win the Heisman this year. But I do know this: If we end up playing the team he plays for, my money will be on JT and it isn't because I'm from GT.

What does that say about the so-called Heisman?

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Well. thanks for "breaking it" to us. I guess we should just defer to your expertise in all things college football. Especially in light of last off-season when Vad's transfer was announced:

I have 0 faith in JT

Next season is a tragedy

Honestly do you think he can sale [sic] a qb on coming here just running his base offense?
I have no problem with you expressing a different pov, but don't "break it to" us like you know better.

LOL - have you been saving this for a year?

/

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Yes its an insult, but its more ignorance than anything. People said the system couldn't recruit... seems to me like its doing well. People said you couldn't win with the system...Orange bowl says Hello. People said you couldn't put WR's into the NFL, BOTH starting WR"s from last year say Hello.

This is just another "Can't" that is thrown at the system. I would say that if GT beats people handily, with the national games we have on our schedule. JT would most definitely been the discussion.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Bottom line is we can all speculate on what's going to happen next year but nobody knows. If we take care of business the individual honors will come including possibly a Heisman for JT.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck

I have 0 faith in JT

Next season is a tragedy

post-53189-taylor-swift-crotch-chop-gif-I-XFod.gif