An idea to improve Bobby Dodd Stadium.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I haven't been to a game in person in decades. There...I said it.

But am I misunderstanding the current seating arrangement? In my day, we sat in sections 121, 122, 123, 124, CL1 & CL2 (flashcards & band).

If you got to the stadium early (and you weren't a rat), you could be sitting between the 35 & 50 yard lines easy. Putting the students in the endzone SUCKS. It's their school, too, and they should come first in the East Stands, IMO.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Hear me out. One massive roof over the west side that covers the upper stands and part of the lower stands like Washington. View attachment 13381
This will provide a spot the crowd can run to on rainy games. But more importantly imo- if you’ve sat in east stands for an afternoon game you know the sun murders your eyes 5-7pm. If this roof was tilted up instead of flat, this would take away a lot of the painful sun time. We could also do some awesome modernized equivalent to a church stain glass window but a massive “GT” on it. When the sun drops, no more eye sore but a huge glowing symbol of cool stuff that sets us apart. Maybe on certain moon at a certain time the “GT” glow shines onto the field? Some nerds would foam at the mouth for that kind of project

It is bonkers to me that more American stadiums do not have roof elements for the crowds. Virtually every major soccer stadium around the world does, as do all of the soccer-only MLS stadiums in the US. While I get that can be easier to do for a smaller stadium, it isn't like there aren't a ton of huge stadiums worldwide with roofs, including around 100k (England and Mexico stadiums shown below). Anyone who went to Dublin probably remembers how awesome it was to be under a roof on a cold and somewhat rainy day in Ireland for the GT v. BC game (51k capacity). All new NCAA football stadiums in the US should be designed this way.

1666637072931.png

1666637421870.png

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I'd definitely be in support of some modern, semi-comfortable chair seating. Besides being massively uncomfortable, people don't know how to sit on their own number in bleachers, sit in wrong seats constantly, etc... It's time to get more modern on that.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
LSU is a bit of a weird school to try to compare anyone to. I really don't think there's a good comp out there for what Death Valley can be.

I lived in Baton Rouge for almost a decade, but if LSU was at home and if you got to the tailgate by 10am for a 6pm game, and you were already 4 hours later than half the people there. That's just what you do on a Saturday if they are in town. Even they have problems with attendance for some games lately (though the tailgate is always packed).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I’m with you. I’m in 218 as well (first row below the tunnel walkway). I originally got those seats because of the price and not having to donate to the fund (I’m a non-millionaire sidewalk fan). Over time I’ve become more appreciative of the angle of the view you get as a play developed, especially with the TO. Also the view of the skyline is terrific. The UN doesn’t need to be removed, but modifications would help (ie beer garden, better concessions, better access to the rest of the stadium, etc ).
Can we close up ( at least partially) the NW corner.

We have watched games ( covid) from north end upper west and from upper deck of north stands. Good view of field and great panoramic view of city..

Maybe we could put a mini upperdeck over a fun beer area, and some support facilities for better food preparation in that corner.

With edge closing up NE corner, this seems next to me

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It is bonkers to me that more American stadiums do not have roof elements for the crowds. Virtually every major soccer stadium around the world does, as do all of the soccer-only MLS stadiums in the US. While I get that can be easier to do for a smaller stadium, it isn't like there aren't a ton of huge stadiums worldwide with roofs, including around 100k (England and Mexico stadiums shown below). Anyone who went to Dublin probably remembers how awesome it was to be under a roof on a cold and somewhat rainy day in Ireland for the GT v. BC game (51k capacity). All new NCAA football stadiums in the US should be designed this way.

View attachment 13383

View attachment 13385
I would not be in favor of that at BDS. The city skyline is something that is somewhat unique about BDS. If you cover it up, such that the skyline isn't readily visible, it wouldn't have anything to distinguish it from a stadium in a cow pasture. (such as 60 miles East)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I thought the gameday production was better at the UVA game than it has been. Maybe it is only because there wasn't any money down or other nonsense. However, I think it was a little more organized. Most things seemed to have a place. The sound system didn't sound poor, except for the feedback on the ref's microphone.

I have posted several times about being impressed with the gameday production at the ND game last year. For every false start that GT committed, (and there were several in that game) they played a history of false starts by opposing teams in that stadium. The video board and sound attributed the false starts to the fans in the stands. On GT third downs, they played a video to get the fans making noise. Then when GT failed to make a first down (and there were multiple times in that game) they played a celebratory video thanking the fans for making noise and helping out. I don't think I would change the band playing chords, nor the announcer saying it's third down. However, we could have a video of fans screaming in addition to the "get loud" being posted on the side screens. I wouldn't play the celebratory song that they played at ND, (the old Six Flags theme song) but get something up there that makes the fans feel as if they are part of the game.

Those are a couple of simple gameday ideas that could be implemented. Another big thing that I noticed up there is that the production quality and timing was near perfect. It was like one of the national Sunday NFL TV production crews was directing and pushing all of the buttons. It would take a while to get to that point, but they could start with things like the two I mentioned. Get it to be a production, and pull the fans into the game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I know this is specifically about BDS improvements, but I'd like to suggest focusing on the whole Gameday Experience. I'm still salty about the lack of support...much less encouragement...for tailgating. CFB is a social activity, but it seems like the GTAA wants to make it only about the actual football game. You want fans that show up no matter what? Then maximize the FOMO. Make people think "Oh, I don't want to stay home even though it's overcast and 42F. I don't want to miss hanging out with the tailgate crowd to get my mind-rite, and then going into BDS to cheer on the brave and bold!"

As to the stadium, the #1 thing is to fix the seating issues. Not only are bleachers sucky, but they are way too tight. I'm a reasonably fit 6' man for my age, and I barely fit on my 'space'. But when an extra large person sits next to me I have to be in their lap to even be on my seat. It's ridiculous. Since we don't sell out the games anyway we should re-number the stadium seating to give everyone extra space, even if we don't put in actual seats.
When I had season tickets a few years ago, first year I didn't have stinger seats. We were wedged between two groups that did. We were very cramped in between. From then on I ordered stinger seats just to preserve my space. I agree, either renumber to give more space or add seats with backs.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
When I had season tickets a few years ago, first year I didn't have stinger seats. We were wedged between two groups that did. We were very cramped in between. From then on I ordered stinger seats just to preserve my space. I agree, either renumber to give more space or add seats with backs.
I agree, but there are two consequences of that change.

1) Fewer seats in a row.
2) The row spacing is already tight (Is that better in the new stands? I sit UW). Adding seats with backs will make it that much more difficult to walk up and down the rows during a game.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been to Auburn and it was 5 times as easy to get in and out of. And this was a SEC conference game.
You must’ve had some special parking. In all the times I’ve been to Auburn, Clemson, Athens, etc. it was an all day thing. Sat in traffic forever, had to park a long way away and walk a couple miles, and then it took forever to get out.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but there are two consequences of that change.

1) Fewer seats in a row.
2) The row spacing is already tight (Is that better in the new stands? I sit UW). Adding seats with backs will make it that much more difficult to walk up and down the rows during a game.
Duke has added seats with backs on both sides of their stadium from goal to goal. You are correct that there is less leg room to get to middle row seats but they are much more comfortable. My season tix at BDS were in 108 on the 30 yard line. Since my MIL died in Atlanta, I don't do season tix anymore. I have been to games more recently in the upper west. Those are very steep and nothing to hold on to while climbing. Older fans would not want to be up there near the top just due to the climb. Watching a game from up there is a good view of the field once up there. My favorite seats were senior year seats (1973) in upper east near the 50.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Why are people so enamored with MBS? Is Arthur Blank paying y’all’s mortgages? Surely people who suggest playing (all) GT games there are just kidding? That would kill part of what makes college football great. Terrible idea. It’s a stadium, just like all the rest. Hell, they’ll probably tear it down in 20 years even though it cost $1.5B and ought to last at least 100 years. Although, if the inoperable roof is any indication, 20 years may be about all that can be expected.

I will give them props for reasonable concession prices. That is a nice attribute and one I would certainly be in favor of at GT facilities.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
First things first. Leave the stadium alone. Build the foundation for sound financial footing first, and build up the foundation for a good football coaching staff at the same time.

Then go to work improving the football team through better coaching and recruiting.

The above will be hard work, and will take several years. But it can be done.