An early look at college footballs top 15 QBs

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
My issue with Watson is actual production versus hype. He had a spectacular game against NC last year with better that 1/3 of of his passing TDs and 1/4 of his total yards in that game. Add in the durability questions and does he rate a top 5 ranking? Not to me, at this time.

Prescott I have no issue with as he had the production to back it up.

Where does JeT belong? In my mind top 10 and perhaps top 5.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Prescott and Watson should both be top 5. I'm guessing your issue is more of JT not being on the list? I'm with you there. Watson and Prescott are both great and deserve to be where they are on that list.
I remember reading some years ago about the top 100 players of the first century of baseball, and Warren Spahn -- winner of 361 games -- was omitted. Sandy Koufax, on the list, asked to be removed and Spahn substituted because he said any list of the best that didn't include Spahn was not such a list. They included him. I feel the same way about Thomas. It weakens my coming argument to say I was not that impressed with Prescott despite the yards, but he was matched head up with Thomas just recently. How did that turn out? Watson I don't have a problem with. The kid is a player and this year I hope we keep both on the field for a real showdown.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember reading some years ago about the top 100 players of the first century of baseball, and Warren Spahn -- winner of 361 games -- was omitted. Sandy Koufax, on the list, asked to be removed and Spahn substituted because he said any list of the best that didn't include Spahn was not such a list. They included him. I feel the same way about Thomas. It weakens my coming argument to say I was not that impressed with Prescott despite the yards, but he was matched head up with Thomas just recently. How did that turn out? Watson I don't have a problem with. The kid is a player and this year I hope we keep both on the field for a real showdown.

I'm sure my words will be twisted by some but Prescott threw for 450 yards against us and completed 65% of his passes. Like PJ said after the game, they gained a ton of yards between the 20's and basically did whatever they wanted to against our defense for most of the game. Just because we beat them doesn't mean that Prescott isn't a great player.

Don't get me wrong. I love JT and I'll take him over Prescott with the offense we run. But people are disrespecting Prescott because we beat them. He was really good against us.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Meh, they're ranking QBs as they're used in most offenses. I don't think that JT projects yet into NFL QB draft talk which is probably the list's logic.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure my words will be twisted by some but Prescott threw for 450 yards against us and completed 65% of his passes. Like PJ said after the game, they gained a ton of yards between the 20's and basically did whatever they wanted to against our defense for most of the game. Just because we beat them doesn't mean that Prescott isn't a great player.

Don't get me wrong. I love JT and I'll take him over Prescott with the offense we run. But people are disrespecting Prescott because we beat them. He was really good against us.
Nah, actually I am disrespecting him because I don't think he is that good.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Great story about Koufax and Spahn but I have a problem with Watson. He hasn't played enough. It is still hype until he plays several back to back games and produces.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Prescott and Watson should both be top 5. I'm guessing your issue is more of JT not being on the list? I'm with you there. Watson and Prescott are both great and deserve to be where they are on that list.[/QUOTE
Yep. Key issue JeT needed to be top 10. He is better than a number of the top 10 particularly in our offense. The numbers don't lie and they support a top 10 rank. Prescott to me is definitely top 10 because he put up the numbers that he did over the course of the season. I think it is premature to give Watson that ranking. You need to stay healthy to be good and he has yet to show that he can stay healthy. If we are ranking on potential only, then yes, Watson should be up there. But he may be one of those players that is snake bit and never really produces to his potential due to being injury prone.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Prescott and Watson should both be top 5. I'm guessing your issue is more of JT not being on the list? I'm with you there. Watson and Prescott are both great and deserve to be where they are on that list.
Yep. Key issue JeT needed to be top 10. He is better than a number of the top 10 particularly in our offense. The numbers don't lie and they support a top 10 rank. Prescott to me is definitely top 10 because he put up the numbers that he did over the course of the season. I think it is premature to give Watson that ranking. You need to stay healthy to be good and he has yet to show that he can stay healthy. If we are ranking on potential only, then yes, Watson should be up there. But he may be one of those players that is snake bit and never really produces to his potential due to being injury prone.[/QUOTE]

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Did you watch any other Miss ST games besides the orange bowl? Dak was a hiesman contender for most of the year.
I did, and I don't think he's very good. He ran a lot of Tim tebow/Logan Thomas QB draws where he just picked up 3-4 yards by falling forward. He didn't show me anything except that he's big and has decent speed and has a pretty darn good coach that runs a good offense that he's been under for 4-5 years. Justin Thomas is faster, runs a more difficult offense at a much faster pace and is more efficient than Prescott in almost every category minus completion percentage.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I did, and I don't think he's very good. He ran a lot of Tim tebow/Logan Thomas QB draws where he just picked up 3-4 yards by falling forward. He didn't show me anything except that he's big and has decent speed and has a pretty darn good coach that runs a good offense that he's been under for 4-5 years. Justin Thomas is faster, runs a more difficult offense at a much faster pace and is more efficient than Prescott in almost every category minus completion percentage.
But he did it in the E-Sec-PN!!!!!!!!!!!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think one could fairly add to that, that while Prescott often throws a tighter ball -- sometimes Thomas's will have some wobble -- arguably his arm is not stronger. And it's fair to note that a guy named Peyton Manning is headed for the hall of fame and some of his stuff bobbles a bit, always has, but always gets there with velocity.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think one could fairly add to that, that while Prescott often throws a tighter ball -- sometimes Thomas's will have some wobble -- arguably his arm is not stronger. And it's fair to note that a guy named Peyton Manning is headed for the hall of fame and some of his stuff bobbles a bit, always has, but always gets there with velocity, accuracy and on time.
fify.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
My knuckles have been appropriately rapped. I agree. Thomas and Smelter took the Clemson 4-star safety (his name escapes me) to school with back shoulder throws and had even the normally incendiary Brent Venables hyperventilating at halftime. Or so I'm told, not actually having been there though I would have paid admission.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think one could fairly add to that, that while Prescott often throws a tighter ball -- sometimes Thomas's will have some wobble -- arguably his arm is not stronger. And it's fair to note that a guy named Peyton Manning is headed for the hall of fame and some of his stuff bobbles a bit, always has, but always gets there with velocity.
I was just thinking about this the other day while watching the Clemson game. The announcers talked about how Watson's sticky gloves give him more zip on the ball, and it seems like JT could probably tighten up his spiral with a pair of those. I have a feeling they could cause some issues in the mesh if he's trying to give and the gloves are sticking to the ball a bit, and since that's our bread and butter you don't want to mess it up.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I was just thinking about this the other day while watching the Clemson game. The announcers talked about how Watson's sticky gloves give him more zip on the ball, and it seems like JT could probably tighten up his spiral with a pair of those. I have a feeling they could cause some issues in the mesh if he's trying to give and the gloves are sticking to the ball a bit, and since that's our bread and butter you don't want to mess it up.
For the life of me I don't understand how QBs can throw the ball wearing any kind of gloves. Seems to me you would completely lose the feel for the ball, but all kinds of QBs are wearing them now. As for sticky gloves, it seems to me this is a competitive advantage issue for receivers and passers. Gloves are one thing -- cold weather, for catching slants thrown by people like John Elway and the like, who always seem to be trying to throw the ball through receivers -- but stick'em puts me off. Even with it it would seem sticking to the ball would be a problem, right? And do I remember reading somewhere about WRs coating the fronts of their jerseys with the stuff before it was outlawed?