An early look at college footballs top 15 QBs

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
For the life of me I don't understand how QBs can throw the ball wearing any kind of gloves. Seems to me you would completely lose the feel for the ball, but all kinds of QBs are wearing them now. As for sticky gloves, it seems to me this is a competitive advantage issue for receivers and passers. Gloves are one thing -- cold weather, for catching slants thrown by people like John Elway and the like, who always seem to be trying to throw the ball through receivers -- but stick'em puts me off. Even with it it would seem sticking to the ball would be a problem, right? And do I remember reading somewhere about WRs coating the fronts of their jerseys with the stuff before it was outlawed?

Oh yeah go back and look some film/photos of guys like Fred Biletnikoff and his peers. They give new meaning to sticking like glue! Lester Hayes and some of the other DBs from that were almost as bad as the WRs when it came to stickum!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Oh yeah go back and look some film/photos of guys like Fred Biletnikoff and his peers. They give new meaning to sticking like glue! Lester Hayes and some of the other DBs from that were almost as bad as the WRs when it came to stickum!

elvin-hayes.jpg

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Those were the Wild West Days for sure.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
To me a lot more fun! Almost all man coverage in the secondary and the DBs truly could mug a receiver! If you were an all pro WR ay that time you could flat play!
One of my favorite recollections was watching Art Donovan, the almost legendary defensive tackle of the old Colts, explain to Johnny Carson the difference in their game "back when". Using Bobby Layne as an example, they would hit him after he passed. Then the next time -- exaggerated, obviously -- a few seconds late, to get a warning. The next time, five seconds late. At which point the ref would point at him and say, "Now, you're getting close." (Layne, Donovan swore, had a few shots at halftime.) Today's players are either straight vanilla, dopers or abusers, it seems. The color is washed from the corporate game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One of my favorite recollections was watching Art Donovan, the almost legendary defensive tackle of the old Colts, explain to Johnny Carson the difference in their game "back when". Using Bobby Layne as an example, they would hit him after he passed. Then the next time -- exaggerated, obviously -- a few seconds late, to get a warning. The next time, five seconds late. At which point the ref would point at him and say, "Now, you're getting close." (Layne, Donovan swore, had a few shots at halftime.) Today's players are either straight vanilla, dopers or abusers, it seems. The color is washed from the corporate game.
Ah, the good ol' days!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Horses for courses. In our offense I'll take JT over all of them.
Frankly, Scarlett, I would take Thomas over anybody in any offense. Can't think of one in which he would not excel. Tech owes Saban, and sometimes I wonder if Saban, given his QB inconsistencies in '14, doesn't regret that decision at least a little bit. (Well, maybe a Mike Leach chunk it 12 yards 80 times offense.)

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
I did, and I don't think he's very good. He ran a lot of Tim tebow/Logan Thomas QB draws where he just picked up 3-4 yards by falling forward. He didn't show me anything except that he's big and has decent speed and has a pretty darn good coach that runs a good offense that he's been under for 4-5 years.
You could've said this pretty much verbatim about our offense a couple years ago with Nesbitt, exceptg for the 4-5 years part.