An Abomination on the Streets

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
GT is trying to get a GT tag in Alabama. I think it takes 150 (may be 100) people to prepay for one and then they will make them. After I got an email from GT, I signed up. At the time, I think there were about 35 or so signed up.

Bob - ...stuck in Mobile with the Memphis blues ...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Since some people don't seem to know the history on this and the root of my deep, abiding hatred for Bammer and their football "program", here's a little primer:

https://www.si.com/vault/1962/11/26/592367/a-rough-day-for-the-bear

I have never been happier then when we beat those thugs that day. Except, perhaps, when I read the Playboy interview with Joe Namath a few years later. Here's the passage I liked:

Playboy: When was the hardest you ever got hit on a football field?

Namath: Well, I hate to give the bastards credit for anything, but when I was in college, Georgia Tech really creamed me in a game. I didn't know one of their guys was coming at me and he just about crunched every bone in my body; I mean, he really knocked the hell out of me. I was almost completely out.

Too bad it was just "almost completely". I think the "guy" was Ted Davis, but I'm not sure. He sorta specialized in that.

Since some people don't seem to know the history on this and the root of my deep, abiding hatred for Bammer and their football "program", here's a little primer:

https://www.si.com/vault/1962/11/26/592367/a-rough-day-for-the-bear

I have never been happier then when we beat those thugs that day. Except, perhaps, when I read the Playboy interview with Joe Namath a few years later. Here's the passage I liked:

Playboy: When was the hardest you ever got hit on a football field?

Namath: Well, I hate to give the bastards credit for anything, but when I was in college, Georgia Tech really creamed me in a game. I didn't know one of their guys was coming at me and he just about crunched every bone in my body; I mean, he really knocked the hell out of me. I was almost completely out.

Too bad it was just "almost completely". I think the "guy" was Ted Davis, but I'm not sure. He sorta specialized in that.
I was there for that game as a Tech freshman, and one of the big chants throughout the game was "Namath can't do it; Namath can't do it!" He deserved every hit he took.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I was there for that game as a Tech freshman, and one of the big chants throughout the game was "Namath can't do it; Namath can't do it!" He deserved every hit he took.

Broadway Joe spent his entire time at Alabama smoking cigarettes,drinking and shooting pool in pool halls. Joe's academics in high school were so poor that the only schools who recruited him were Alabama and Maryland.

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
GT is trying to get a GT tag in Alabama. I think it takes 150 (may be 100) people to prepay for one and then they will make them. After I got an email from GT, I signed up. At the time, I think there were about 35 or so signed up.

I never got the email.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Broadway Joe spent his entire time at Alabama smoking cigarettes,drinking and shooting pool in pool halls. Joe's academics in high school were so poor that the only schools who recruited him were Alabama and Maryland.
In his interview I quoted above, Namath says he nearly went to Notre Dame. They offered, but, at the time, it was all male. So Namath turned them down for Maryland, then found out he couldn't get in there; low test scores. The coach at Maryland told Bryant about him and the rest is history.

Shows how regional recruiting was in those days. When Namath got to Bammer there were only three other players from above the Mason-Dixon and all three quit after his first season. After that, the closest they had to a Yankee for the rest of his career was a guy from Virginia.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So I'm driving down East Paces Ferry to day and a Lexus Urban Assault Vehicle passes me. As I looked at the rear of the thing, I saw it.

A Georgia state license plate with the University of Alabama football seal on it. And underneath the number the phrase "The University of Alabama". In red on a white field.

Ok, I understand that the state needs money and that people have a free choice for bespoke license plates. But I draw the line at having the state of Georgia putting the Bammer seal on anything official. You don't have to be a Dwag fan to take offense at anything Georgian referring to them. As a long-time (believe it) Tech fan, I loath the Tide above all other teams.

Who's with me!?!

There was a time, not so long ago, when I would have agreed with you. After all, Alabama does mention in their fight song something about "send those yellow jackets to a watery grave". That said, the proverb as quoted above is applicable here: "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" I regret that it has come to this but at the moment the mighty Tide is about all that stands between UGA and multiple SEC championships and possible national championships. Thus, I am compelled to yell:

"Rammer Jammer
Yellow Hammer
Roll Tide Roll"!!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You realize you can get a GT plate in Alabama too right?

My wife's family is from Monroeville, Alabama in the southwest part of the state. It is as evenly divided between Alabama and Auburn as you can get. Last Christmas we were visiting and I went jogging in a Georgia Tech hoodie. The looks from people passing me in cars was priceless. You would have thought an alien from Mars had landed. Of course, during the Auburn- Alabama game at Thanksgiving I was discreet enough to openly pull for Auburn but truth to tell had it been possible, I would have preferred that both of them lose.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
There was a time, not so long ago, when I would have agreed with you. After all, Alabama does mention in their fight song something about "send those yellow jackets to a watery grave". That said, the proverb as quoted above is applicable here: "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" I regret that it has come to this but at the moment the mighty Tide is about all that stands between UGA and multiple SEC championships and possible national championships. Thus, I am compelled to yell:

"Rammer Jammer
Yellow Hammer
Roll Tide Roll"!!
At least Alabama mentions Georgia Tech in their fight song "Yea Alabama";)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Cigarettes are bad but the drinking and pool I'm fine with but I don't play football at 65. ( really don't play pool that well )

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Cigarettes are bad but the drinking and pool I'm fine with but I don't play football at 65. ( really don't play pool that well )
The Bear suspended Joe Namath for the final two games of the 1963 regular season and the Sugar Bowl against Ole Miss because of him drinking,smoking and hanging out in pool halls. Bear Bryant told Joe if he didn't stop he would throw him off of the team and Broadway Joe toned down his behavior in his Senior 1964 season.

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow

Now requires 250. So far 70+ have signed up. Check with the GT Alum Assoc. They have effort underway.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So I'm driving down East Paces Ferry to day and a Lexus Urban Assault Vehicle passes me. As I looked at the rear of the thing, I saw it.

A Georgia state license plate with the University of Alabama football seal on it. And underneath the number the phrase "The University of Alabama". In red on a white field.

Ok, I understand that the state needs money and that people have a free choice for bespoke license plates. But I draw the line at having the state of Georgia putting the Bammer seal on anything official. You don't have to be a Dwag fan to take offense at anything Georgian referring to them. As a long-time (believe it) Tech fan, I loath the Tide above all other teams.

Who's with me!?!

Who's with me!?!
I'm afraid I'm with Adadu on this one. Georgia winning last year would have been unbearable.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I was rootin’ for Bammer with every fiber of my being in that game and it wasn’t as hard as I thought. The second after the game was over, I went back to despise mode, I felt no joy for them in victory, only pure elation in mutt defeat!
I loved the ending of the National Championship Game and laughed my arse off at the Uncle Lou video he put on youtube after the game:LOL::ROFLMAO::hilarious: