Alright mannnn what's your best memory of Georgia Tech football?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
my favorite year that I had at Tech was 1970! Team went 9-3, with a Sun Bowl victory... Rock Perdoni, Smiley Gebhart, Eddie McAshan were some of the big names on the team, but Ric Lewis had a phenomenal game in the rain against Tulane at BDS.
The SI national back of the week is a Georgia Tech defensive halfback (we call them cornerbacks now) named Rick Lewis. Lewis scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter of a 20-6 win against Tulane and he set up the Yellow Jackets’ third touchdown in a soggy affair in which players splashed there way around Grant Field in Atlanta"
I was there also. a mess.
Lewis was a friend.I still have an record album I borrowed of his.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
I was there also. a mess.
Lewis was a friend.I still have an record album I borrowed of his.
A tax attorney in the Charlotte area... shouldn't be too hard to find:cool:.

I imagine #13 would just tell you to keep it. Or where to send the check.:LOL:

A coupla shots from that game...... #56 is John Callan, our starting center & Lewis' roomie.

Last edited:

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Rick Lewis Sccop & Score vs Tulane 1970.jpg
John Callan Tulane 1970.jpg

slugboy

Staff member
After 60 yrs there were many highlights-the top few
-the 62' Bama game on radio
-the '90 uva game comeback- on TV
-the ''91 Natty in Citrus Bowl as I was there
-the uga win up there with Butker on tv
-the loudest I think I ever heard the stadium was vs VT in '09 at night
I was there for the VT game and the O’Leary seat cushion game, and they were close. I think the seat cushion game was more naturally loud.

I’m remembering 99 Jasper Thanks now

Oh, that was a nice feeling

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
What's your best memory, most exciting, unforgettable? On tv or in person it doesn't matter.

I say either FSU 2008. I was about 16-17, my first REAL actual game. Nosebleeds, couldn't really see the fumble at the end and was confused why the crowd was going nuts. Then the replay made It clear. The storming of the field with a last second victory over fsu and Bobby Bowden.

Or 2009 when we knocked off #4 VT. I made my mom wait and wait and wait until the goalposts came down.

What's yours??

Just over a month til kickoff gentlemen! Suffer these last few hot *** days of summer and august and we got football season upon us baby!
At citrus bowl up on Nebraska 21-0....and totally in control

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
For the "in person" experience, I've had many over the years, but as I have communicated in the past, the 2008 game against FSU where we saved the game at the goal line with Cooper's forced fumble is right up there with any I have seen. That is mainly because it was me and my late son, and we had a truly wonderful time at that game.

I was also there for the 2009 win at night over VPSIU, but for that one, I was by myself. It was great, but the one with my son was better.

Watching on TV, the 2014 UGAG game where Harrison tied it up with the 53 yard FG, and then we won in overtime is right up there at the top. (probably tied with the win over UGAG in 2008)

Of course, I loved the 1990 season and the natty, but obviously back then, we did not get the bowl game we probably deserved and beat a good (not great) Nebraska team to finish an undefeated season.

USCJacket15

Georgia Tech Fan
It's hard to beat 2011 Clemson, 2015 FSU, and 2018 UVA for me, but another favorite of mine that I haven't seen mentioned is 2006 Maryland.

For a while it felt like we did everything we could to lose that game. After driving down the field and scoring on our opening possession, we allowed a kickoff return TD. Later, Calvin fumbled inside our 10 to set up an easy score and Travis Bell missed a 40 yard field goal attempt, so we were down 23-14 in the 4th. Then we scored to make it 23-21 and the next Maryland play was a fumble, leading to quick touchdown drive. We were feeling pretty good when Kenny Scott got an interception during the next Maryland drive, until our drive ended with Bell missing a short field goal with 3 minutes left in the game. Maryland got the ball and the defense was doing its job until Darius Heyward-Bey caught a pass and ran inside our 10 yard line with about a minute left in the game. Two short runs made it 3rd and goal, and then Michael Johnson saved the day with sacks on 3rd and 4th down to seal an emotional rollercoaster 27-23 win.

2007 Clemson is another favorite of mine. Being a GT fan in South Carolina, I got all of the trash talk after the 2006 purple uni beat down in Clemson, so holding "Thunder and Lightning" to less than 100 yards rushing in a 13-3 win was such a satisfying victory.