Alright mannnn what's your best memory of Georgia Tech football?

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
That's a hard one. There immediately stand out.

Tech 7 alabama 6 in 1962. I listened to the game on radio and I've seldom been so happy in my life.

Tech 31 Clemson 17 in 2011: Excpt, perhaps, at this game. I stood in the stands at the finishe yelling, "I love to beat Clemson! I love to beat Clemson!" And I still do.

Tech 66 Kansas 24 in 2011: Ok, Kansas wasn't all that good. But I have never seen an equal to the way Tech's O played that day. It was like watching a fine watch run. 604 yards rushing and Tevin went 4 for 7 with 173 yards and three TiDs. I watch the game replay regularly just for fun.

But the hits just keep coming, as the thread above shows. Tech has had a great football tradition and we need to get it back. Starting now.
I too, love beating Clemson. We are longggg overdue to spoil their fun

Man you've seen some tech football in your lifetime. I understand your pessimism now sir😂😂

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
GT-Alabama Grant Field.jpg

Photo out of the AJC from the 1960 Alabama-GT football game at Grant Field. I found the view fascinating as Grant Field as i knew it always had the upper decks. Plus, that stadium was JAMMED!!!

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech 66 Kansas 24 in 2011: Ok, Kansas wasn't all that good. But I have never seen an equal to the way Tech's O played that day. It was like watching a fine watch run. 604 yards rushing and Tevin went 4 for 7 with 173 yards and three TiDs. I watch the game replay regularly just for fun.
I don't suppose you have a link to this game do you? All I found on YouTube was a very brief highlight showing Orwin Smith going 95 yards.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
That's a hard one. There immediately stand out.

Tech 7 alabama 6 in 1962. I listened to the game on radio and I've seldom been so happy in my life.

Tech 31 Clemson 17 in 2011: Excpt, perhaps, at this game. I stood in the stands at the finishe yelling, "I love to beat Clemson! I love to beat Clemson!" And I still do.

But the hits just keep coming, as the thread above shows. Tech has had a great football tradition and we need to get it back. Starting now.
Ditto for that Kansas game. The game was actually close until CPJ made some of his patented halftime adjustments - then our offense just exploded in the third quarter!

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
We scored on our first offensive play like the first 4 or 5 games that 2011 season. It was the misdirection handoff play - we used to torch teams with that and CPJ was a master of knowing when was the most surprising time to whip it out.
That wheel route to the B Back was something lethal

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
We scored on our first offensive play like the first 4 or 5 games that 2011 season. It was the misdirection handoff play - we used to torch teams with that and CPJ was a master of knowing when was the most surprising time to whip it out.
I think one game we scored on our first offensive play of each half too

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
In Person: 1990 UVA -- added bonus was surrounded by their homecoming allumni who enjoyed the first half so much they allowed me to throw back some, "oops, another touchdown" at them during the second.

TV: 1991 (90) Citrus Bowl
- every win over georgie
- thanks for the reminder of Gary Lee's runback

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Aske and you shall receive:

Now, true, this is just the O highlights, but you didn't really want to see the D did you? Btw, Orwin Smith wasn't drafted? Are you serious?

I remember he didn’t even get a combine invite. I think it was just that he didn’t show enough variety in his film since he was essentially a one trick pony (not his fault!).

Jolly Good Fellow
View attachment 14533
Photo out of the AJC from the 1960 Alabama-GT football game at Grant Field. I found the view fascinating as Grant Field as i knew it always had the upper decks. Plus, that stadium was JAMMED!!!
This pic is so cool...like you, I never saw Grant Field w/o upper East and West.......but what I notice is how many people are elbow-to-elbow inside chain link fence along our southwest sideline.... while I was there, all the players's girlfriends would be down there... in heels and dresses...until 1975 when Danny Meyers ran WB option keeper and got knocked OB about the 20, rolling up 3 GF's like bowling pins.... and breaking the leg of one of them....GF's were not on the sideline the next season...

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
Sitting in boat in the Persian Gulf in January 1991. Received care package with a lot of good snacks and a VHS tape of the GA Tech versus Nebraska game, sitting in Ordnance shop all by myself snacking and watching game about 3 times back to back and enjoying life.
I was just up the road at incirlik. Watching the (cough) block in the back game on AFRTS was excruciating

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
One of my fondest memories was the 1998 (well, 1/1/1999) Gator Bowl against Notre Dame. I started school in 1992 and wasn't really a Tech fan before that, so my first 4 years we were just terrible. In the 1997-98 season we finally made a bowl (Carquest), but the 1998 season (9-2) was great and the Gator Bowl was the cherry on top of one of the best seasons since I've been a fan. 10-2, #9 ranking. Watching Joe Hamilton at his peak, running that offense was great. The next day, the Notre Dame fans were so surly it just made the win that much better. Honorable mention for in-person games goes to the 2003 Auburn game (Reggie Ball's first game, true freshman - they carried him off the field) and the FSU fumble return game.

On TV, I think the Clemson game in 2004 takes the cake. I hit my head on a ceiling fan blade when I jumped up off the couch when they muffed the punt, and then Calvin just took over. That game was so crazy in the fourth quarter, and I had a ton of people at my house watching that game. Great memory.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
What's your best memory, most exciting, unforgettable? On tv or in person it doesn't matter.

I say either FSU 2008. I was about 16-17, my first REAL actual game. Nosebleeds, couldn't really see the fumble at the end and was confused why the crowd was going nuts. Then the replay made It clear. The storming of the field with a last second victory over fsu and Bobby Bowden.

Or 2009 when we knocked off #4 VT. I made my mom wait and wait and wait until the goalposts came down.

What's yours??

Just over a month til kickoff gentlemen! Suffer these last few hot *** days of summer and august and we got football season upon us baby!
1991 Citrus Bowl when we give Nebraska a butt kicking and 1999 game against the Bullpups for me.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I remember he didn’t even get a combine invite. I think it was just that he didn’t show enough variety in his film since he was essentially a one trick pony (not his fault!).
Yessss. And this for a guy who averaged 9.3 ypc and even more - couldn't find the stat - per pass reception. And he could block. And he could return kicks. I don't know what the story is here. He had plenty of speed and ran tough; see the film. But … could be he didn't really want to play pro ball.