Alright mannnn what's your best memory of Georgia Tech football?

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What's your best memory, most exciting, unforgettable? On tv or in person it doesn't matter.

I say either FSU 2008. I was about 16-17, my first REAL actual game. Nosebleeds, couldn't really see the fumble at the end and was confused why the crowd was going nuts. Then the replay made It clear. The storming of the field with a last second victory over fsu and Bobby Bowden.

Or 2009 when we knocked off #4 VT. I made my mom wait and wait and wait until the goalposts came down.

What's yours??

Just over a month til kickoff gentlemen! Suffer these last few hot *** days of summer and august and we got football season upon us baby!
Gary Lee kickoff return at night game ad BDS

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In person
Citrus Bowl 1990. Just hard to top that performance.
GT vs SC 1988. GT beats a top 10 SC team 34-0 and gives the first sign (Even though the rest of the season was forgettable) that Bobby Ross might build something.
GT vs FSU 2015. Miracle on Techwood. I was actually sitting in an FSU section with some friends who were FSU fans. Made it even better.
GT vs UGA 1989. 33-22, finally beating UGA
GT vs VT 1989. 6-3. This game was one of the worst weather games i've ever attended. The wind was ridiculous. You basically could not throw the ball with any accuracy- it was either batted down or sailed over due to the wind. That game was just a slugfest.

On TV
GT at UVA 1989 - how could it be anything else. The celebration on campus after the game was epic.
GT at Clemson 2000 - Kerry Watkins - The Catch.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Memory is getting a bit fuzzy but has to be UVA 90. I remember Mike Francesa saying at halftime UVA was going to beat us handily the second half! Best in person 2k UGA. Went to the game with my dad because my best friends uncle gave me the tickets cause he knew ugag wasn't going to win.
I still haven't forgiven Francesa for NOT addressing his comments after the game. He didn't even acknowledge that he had totally screwed the pooch on his prediction. I didn't mind the prediction but at least have the guts to own that you were SO wrong.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It’s not my “best” memory, but watching the Bill Curry show the day after his team upset Bama—Curry couldn’t stop smiling through the show.

Bama might have been favored by as much as 50 in that game

In the 70’s and 80’s, there was no ESPN and very little TV. You saw a play or two on the news, and relied on the coaches show to get the highlights.

Curry must have smiled for a week.

I think it was the only win of the season
It was! ... against the Bear... (1981)
Was my freshman year and the win was the week before school started. Thought we were going to have a great season.

Ramblinwreck86

Georgia Tech Fan
Lots of good memories coming back from the previous posts:

In Person:

Gary Lee returning kickoff for a TD in the fog to beat UGA. I was a student at the time.
1984 thrashing of UGA in Athens. Made my UGA girlfriend ( now wife ) stay for the whole game - she was not happy.
1990 thrashing of UGA in Athens. Again made my now wife stay for the whole game.
Miracle on Techwood with my Dad. He said it was the best game he had ever been to in person.
Beatdown on SC ( 34-0 ) is also up there on my list.

On TV:

Citrus Bowl
UVA in 1990
Orange Bowl against MSU. Loved hearing Musburger say this offense can not be stopped.
Any of the wins against UGA.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
In person
GT vs SC 1988. GT beats a top 10 SC team 34-0 and gives the first sign (Even though the rest of the season was forgettable) that Bobby Ross might build something.
GT vs FSU 2015. Miracle on Techwood. I was actually sitting in an FSU section with some friends who were FSU fans. Made it even better.
GT vs UGA 1989. 33-22, finally beating UGA
GT vs VT 1989. 6-3. This game was one of the worst weather games i've ever attended. The wind was ridiculous. You basically could not throw the ball with any accuracy- it was either batted down or sailed over due to the wind. That game was just a slugfest.

On TV
GT at UVA 1989 - how could it be anything else. The celebration on campus after the game was epic.
My two favorite in person are the Citrus Bowl in 1990 and the GT v UGA game in 1989. I'll never forget Jerry Mays trotting off the field for the last time holding his hand up with his index finger up letting everyone know who was the best team in the state. GT at Clemson for Kerry Watkins's catch is probably third on that list of in-person games.

TV is, of course, the UVA game.

slugboy

Staff member
In person

I was sitting in some upper deck seats as a student in 88. For the South Carolina game, I sat behind a USC student in the upper deck and around halftime she yelled “I’m senior! Can’t I have one good team while I’m here!”

I was at a wedding for the catch. Watkins’ reception was during the wedding reception. A bunch of us got yelled at for watching the 4th quarter (including the brother in law).

Citrus bowl was a slaughter

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Lance's run back of the blocked field goal to win after the clock expired. I was at the game. It was unbelieveable excitement.

Honorable mention: every 09 home game outside of COFH. That season was absolutely lit.
That was my senior year In high school and also attended every home game with my mom. So many awesome games that season.

I remember the 2009 unc game, it started raining and the stadium got louder

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Another fun one was the 2005 Miami game which was especially sweet after the “just because we’re in your league now doesn’t mean you’re in ours” shirts and all. Defense and tactics win - great punting and I think they went for it on fourth several times when FGs would’ve helped them in the end.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That's a hard one. There immediately stand out.

Tech 7 alabama 6 in 1962. I listened to the game on radio and I've seldom been so happy in my life.

Tech 31 Clemson 17 in 2011: Excpt, perhaps, at this game. I stood in the stands at the finishe yelling, "I love to beat Clemson! I love to beat Clemson!" And I still do.

Tech 66 Kansas 24 in 2011: Ok, Kansas wasn't all that good. But I have never seen an equal to the way Tech's O played that day. It was like watching a fine watch run. 604 yards rushing and Tevin went 4 for 7 with 173 yards and three TiDs. I watch the game replay regularly just for fun.

But the hits just keep coming, as the thread above shows. Tech has had a great football tradition and we need to get it back. Starting now.