Alright mannnn what's your best memory of Georgia Tech football?

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
What's your best memory, most exciting, unforgettable? On tv or in person it doesn't matter.

I say either FSU 2008. I was about 16-17, my first REAL actual game. Nosebleeds, couldn't really see the fumble at the end and was confused why the crowd was going nuts. Then the replay made It clear. The storming of the field with a last second victory over fsu and Bobby Bowden.

Or 2009 when we knocked off #4 VT. I made my mom wait and wait and wait until the goalposts came down.

What's yours??

Just over a month til kickoff gentlemen! Suffer these last few hot *** days of summer and august and we got football season upon us baby!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
1990 in Charlottesville. The only game I missed that season was UNC. Had to fly to California for my grandfather's funeral. 1989 - Watched the uga game standing on the balcony of Wardlaw before there were any South stands. The 1990 Citrus Bowl was a VERY close second. I just don't remember enough of it afterward for it to be #1.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Became a fan after being accepted in the fall of 2008. Have a slew of fun memories from the last 13+ seasons.

Probably top 4 TV
COFH 2008 -turned on the 2nd half at my Grandparent's house and hear "where is the sting of these Yellow Jackets" Josh Nesbitt, John Dwyer, and company showed where the sting was.

FSU 2009 - Nesbitt stealing back the fumble in Doak

Miami 2019 - PHIII with a bomb for a TD in Miami.

COFH 2014 - the kick and the pick. Justin's grit.

In Person
FSU 2015 the Austin twins version of the kick six

COFH 2010 - yes we lost, but the stunned quiet fear in the cesspool when we let them score so that we had more time to drive the field is darkly amusing to me.

COFH 2016 the quantum leap and my wife took the picture of the score board that ended up in the AJC

VT 09 - first field rush. It was great!

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
2004 @Clemson, Reggie Ball -> Calvin Johnson after the muffed punt snap. That whole fourth quarter was a tense shootout after a low scoring first three, GT kept cutting into the lead just to have Clemson push it back to 2 scores.

A bunch of the fans around us left after Clemson got the ball back on that last possession before the punt attempt. Fortunately we stuck around!

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
2004 @ Clemson and The Kick & The Pick are my top two GT TV sports moments over the past 25 years. Can probably add The Quantum Leap too.

As for my top in-person GT football memories over the past 15 years. I’d go Miracle on Techwood Drive, 2014 Orange Bowl, and (insert gap here) 2012 shootout @ UNC.

I know this is a positive thread, but I gotta say my toughest in-person GT sporting events are 2004 basketball @ uga (Final 4 season), 2013 OT loss vs. uga, and 2017 2OT loss vs Tennessee in the Benz.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
IMG_6676.jpeg

45-42
First time I saw us beat them.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
What's your best memory, most exciting, unforgettable? On tv or in person it doesn't matter.

I say either FSU 2008. I was about 16-17, my first REAL actual game. Nosebleeds, couldn't really see the fumble at the end and was confused why the crowd was going nuts. Then the replay made It clear. The storming of the field with a last second victory over fsu and Bobby Bowden.

Or 2009 when we knocked off #4 VT. I made my mom wait and wait and wait until the goalposts came down.

What's yours??

Just over a month til kickoff gentlemen! Suffer these last few hot *** days of summer and august and we got football season upon us baby!
Beating ND in 1976 without throwing a pass. We dominated them in the second half.

TheNaturalScientist

Jolly Good Fellow

What's yours??

These are mine too. I was right by the end zone where Reid caused the fumble and was one of the first on the field. We were in the same English class freshman year.

I was way up in the north stands for VT but moved lower and lower in the student section when it became clear we were going to pull it off.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
In-person: 1990 Citrus Bowl. (Although oddly, the 1985 All-American Bowl was a second choice. My first bowl game with the Jackets, as a kid. It stands out to me as I started to really understand what being a fan meant, and how awesome that could be).

TV: Lots over the years, but gotta be the kick and the pick. That whole 2014 COFH game is one of the greatest games I've ever watched. In retrospect, at least - at the time it was one of the most stressful. We were at my father in-law's house, and had watched Nebraska squeak by Iowa (finally) the day before. When Georgia scored to go ahead with 18 seconds left, I walked out of the room. My FIL called me back in a moment later, after the squib kick, and I was able to see JT's scramble back to get us in position. Then setting up for the field goal, then the agonizing timeout (which later turned out to be a blessing).

The whole game seemed to be like that - lots of agonizing moments.

Fast-forward to our OT extra point getting blocked. We hadn't been able to stop UGA, and the game was over at that point as far as I was concerned. What are the chances that you see 2 missed extra points back to back in OT? We all know how it played out.

Those people who didn't watch it live may not have gotten the whole experience. So many improbables came to fruition. So many moments of "Well, that was the ball game" or "Well, there it goes." Man, what a rollercoaster, all 60 minutes of regulation, with an amazing finish to seal it up.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I was at Clemson for the fumbled punt snap and also the Kerry Watkins catch. The win over UGA in 1999 was incredible. Ditto UGA 2014. But my personal favorite memory was watching the ball sail through the uprights at Ugag in 1998, because it assuaged memory of the loss at Grant Field in '97 and such a relief to break the seven-game losing streak. Such a nice, sunny day in November for football.

Man, could Charlie Rogers run with a football...

Last edited:

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
These are mine too. I was right by the end zone where Reid caused the fumble and was one of the first on the field. We were in the same English class freshman year.

I was way up in the north stands for VT but moved lower and lower in the student section when it became clear we were going to pull it off.
I think it was Cooper Taylor, not Reid who caused the fumble vs FSU 2008.

slugboy

Staff member
It’s not my “best” memory, but watching the Bill Curry show the day after his team upset Bama—Curry couldn’t stop smiling through the show.

Bama might have been favored by as much as 50 in that game

In the 70’s and 80’s, there was no ESPN and very little TV. You saw a play or two on the news, and relied on the coaches show to get the highlights.

Curry must have smiled for a week.

I think it was the only win of the season

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It’s not my “best” memory, but watching the Bill Curry show the day after his team upset Bama—Curry couldn’t stop smiling through the show.

Bama might have been favored by as much as 50 in that game

In the 70’s and 80’s, there was no ESPN and very little TV. You saw a play or two on the news, and relied on the coaches show to get the highlights.

Curry must have smiled for a week.

I think it was the only win of the season
One of my favorite radio memories - Al Ciraldo's call of the "...thriller brewing in Birmingham".