All we can do now

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
Talking negative is more like "being realistic about the current situation ". I get criticized more than most on this site for being as you say negative. I am singled out more than others but I'm okay with that. Ga Tech football will never be at the top of college football on a year in and year out bases. I got bashed last weekend during the ND game for basically telling the honest truth about the program. I would be very shocked to see Tech win double digits again with CPJ as the head coach. I think he his a tad bit above average coach at this level. If you don't believe me, just check his record against FBS schools. The one good thing that I will give the guy credit for , he actually wants to stay at Tech. Most up and coming coaches would bolt for a factory school if offered.

Georgia Tech is right where those recruiting rankings say for most part #50. Every once in awhile, you will see Tech get going and beat some good teams but, for most years , we will lose to the factory schools. I don't care who the coach is! It's part of it. Until the Institution decides that football is more important than the class room, GT will never be a NC contender.

Had to vent just for a minute. Nothing was directed towards you , please don't take it that way.
GFY

Does the truth hurt ?? Sounds like it with your three little letters. One thing I have taken notice to about this site, some people let one season erase the awful previous ones(2010-2013). Tech will always be competive in weakest power 5 conference but will NEVER contend for a NC under CPJ or any coach after him until the Institution changes it's ways.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Why do most of you guys on this board love to refer back to previous years to compare ? Yea,if we had back the 9 players from offense last year, we would have won the past two games. We still have a good core of guys that can help rebound but guys, I think the poor recruiting is starting to show a little bit. We will bounce back in a few years with another good season like last(maybe not as good) but EXPECT to win 6-8 games this year. Ga Tech has never and will never be a top 15 team on a year in and year out bases.

Does the truth hurt ?? Sounds like it with your three little letters. One thing I have taken notice to about this site, some people let one season erase the awful previous ones(2010-2013). Tech will always be competive in weakest power 5 conference but will NEVER contend for a NC under CPJ or any coach after him until the Institution changes it's ways.

Just wanted to point that out...

While I don't think GT is set up to be have any kind of run like FSU or Bama or Miami, I don't think you are correct in saying we could NEVER content for a NC under CPJ or any other coach. It's not like we were far off last year, so its possible in one of those good season's you mention it lines up. Think about 2007 LSU... first 2 loss team to play for a title after a season in which they lost to Arkansas and KENTUCKY.

Yes, the hardcore football fans of Georgia Tech want so bad to have season's like last year and make that push for #5. And whether you consider our avg season over the last 7 years as mediocre or bad, it really could be a lot worse. Some of these factory schools, while they do have their fair share of glory and success, always spend several years at a time in actual college football hell. How many of those factory teams have literally fallen off the rails for 5 years or more? There's a lot. Georgia Tech as been pretty consistent in avoiding a stretch of "toss yourself off the rafters" type seasons. Then there's the countless scandals, bad press, and everything else that schools are willing to go through for the sake of a good football team. You'd probably have to go back into the 90s (maybe us) for the last time a school that didn't run a program marred with bad press from the football teams off field antics won the national championship. If that's what it takes to consistently contend for a national title, I personally want no part of it.

Would I like some more wins over UGA? Hell yes. Imagine our record over the past 7 years was the same but some of those wins were wins over UGA instead... I don't think it would be seen as awful as record may indicate.

Just wanted to point that out...

While I don't think GT is set up to be have any kind of run like FSU or Bama or Miami, I don't think you are correct in saying we could NEVER content for a NC under CPJ or any other coach. It's not like we were far off last year, so its possible in one of those good season's you mention it lines up. Think about 2007 LSU... first 2 loss team to play for a title after a season in which they lost to Arkansas and KENTUCKY.

Yes, the hardcore football fans of Georgia Tech want so bad to have season's like last year and make that push for #5. And whether you consider our avg season over the last 7 years as mediocre or bad, it really could be a lot worse. Some of these factory schools, while they do have their fair share of glory and success, always spend several years at a time in actual college football hell. How many of those factory teams have literally fallen off the rails for 5 years or more? There's a lot. Georgia Tech as been pretty consistent in avoiding a stretch of "toss yourself off the rafters" type seasons. Then there's the countless scandals, bad press, and everything else that schools are willing to go through for the sake of a good football team. You'd probably have to go back into the 90s (maybe us) for the last time a school that didn't run a program marred with bad press from the football teams off field antics won the national championship. If that's what it takes to consistently contend for a national title, I personally want no part of it.

Would I like some more wins over UGA? Hell yes. Imagine our record over the past 7 years was the same but some of those wins were wins over UGA instead... I don't think it would be seen as awful as record may indicate.
I don't think Ga Tech can contend for a NC until the schools changes. I will never see GT win a NC and the reason is because of the way college football is now days. It is a VERY big business that the factory schools control.

conyersmike

Georgia Tech Fan
THWFACTORIES!, THWG!, THWNC!, I will always be a Jacket fan and I will be there Saturday afternoon when we kick the H*** out of UNC! #togetherweswarm

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
One thing I have taken notice to about this site, some people let one season erase the awful previous ones(2010-2013).
Cannot speak for others but 2014 was a vindication of things that I was seeing in previous years. When Tech was down it was easy for me to see how a break here, a fumble there and a refs call going the other way could have added or subtracted 2-3 games. Even when we were really bad I could see that we were not that far away from being good and the program was doing all the right things. So 2014 did not make me forget the other so much as it revealed what I was seeing the whole time.

The oft repeated CPJ quote that things are never as good or as bad as they seem fits my view of things. As bad as we look right now it would not take too many things changing for this to be a decent and competitive team. The one intangible is the motivation of the players to work harder. People give coaches way too much credit for motivating teams. Ultimately that is all up to the players. We shall see how they respond.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Cannot speak for others but 2014 was a vindication of things that I was seeing in previous years. When Tech was down it was easy for me to see how a break here, a fumble there and a refs call going the other way could have added or subtracted 2-3 games. Even when we were really bad I could see that we were not that far away from being good and the program was doing all the right things. So 2014 did not make me forget the other so much as it revealed what I was seeing the whole time.

The oft repeated CPJ quote that things are never as good or as bad as they seem fits my view of things. As bad as we look right now it would not take too many things changing for this to be a decent and competitive team. The one intangible is the motivation of the players to work harder. People give coaches way too much credit for motivating teams. Ultimately that is all up to the players. We shall see how they respond.
I dunno, Stinger. I would guess Johnson could not fall back on anything else, but in my mind, until they prove otherwise, the Duke fiasco actually was as bad as it seems. When every position group flops, things are bad, and I question whether they will get better if everybody from trainer to head coach steps up to acknowledge how far they have to go. Still hoping they get there, but Duke wasn't just a loss, but a hammering, and being "in the running" in the 4th quarter can't change that.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I dunno, Stinger. I would guess Johnson could not fall back on anything else, but in my mind, until they prove otherwise, the Duke fiasco actually was as bad as it seems. When every position group flops, things are bad, and I question whether they will get better if everybody from trainer to head coach steps up to acknowledge how far they have to go. Still hoping they get there, but Duke wasn't just a loss, but a hammering, and being "in the running" in the 4th quarter can't change that.
I dunno. For me, the worst part about the Duke loss was that, despite how little hammering was done, by one team to the other (on offense or defense I mean), we were the team that did the hammering, and we still lost. We did NOT play well on offense, but we DID win the offensive output battle. Yet, we still lost by two TDs. We lost because we weren't more than two TDs better than them on offense, not because we weren't better. If you are going to hang the loss anywhere, for this game, it belongs on special teams' shoulders. Our offense and defense respectively, did enough to win.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I dunno. For me, the worst part about the Duke loss was that, despite how little hammering was done, by one team to the other (on offense or defense I mean), we were the team that did the hammering, and we still lost. We did NOT play well on offense, but we DID win the offensive output battle. Yet, we still lost by two TDs. We lost because we weren't more than two TDs better than them on offense, not because we weren't better. If you are going to hang the loss anywhere, for this game, it belongs on special teams' shoulders. Our offense and defense respectively, did enough to win.
I hope you are right and I am wrong, and certainly you know more about it. But being better than Duke offensively is just not a good benchmark, I think. Failing on two-thirds of third down conversions and ofer on fourth down, and fumbling it away, combined with what I think we all agree (actually I know better than this; the minute one says "all" he is begging for contradiction, but...) terrible blocking up front and at the edge, and a QB fleeing for his football life on almost every down and then throwing terrible passes down the field, off the wrong foot and on the run, just seems to me every bit as dire as it looked. Combined with A backs brand new to the offense and B backs also in their first year -- and they looked it -- may not be fixable in a week or a season. All those positions last season were filled with seniors, some of them redshirt. It all takes a lot of fixing. As I said, I have my fingers crossed and hope I'm wrong.

As for special teams, as a movie line said, who could argue with that? The oddity to me is that for the first three or four years Johnson refused to hire a special teams coach, insisting he and the other coaches could handle it literally on a part time basis. He was convinced otherwise and it looks to me like they are worse now they ever. The answer to punt coverage may be kicker it higher and much shorter and maybe get a fair catch, and on kickoffs, well, out of the back of the end zone. Staying in their lanes seems something they don't bother with. Combine that with traffic cop tackling and you get the Duke result.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I hope you are right and I am wrong, and certainly you know more about it. But being better than Duke offensively is just not a good benchmark, I think. Failing on two-thirds of third down conversions and ofer on fourth down, and fumbling it away, combined with what I think we all agree (actually I know better than this; the minute one says "all" he is begging for contradiction, but...) terrible blocking up front and at the edge, and a QB fleeing for his football life on almost every down and then throwing terrible passes down the field, off the wrong foot and on the run, just seems to me every bit as dire as it looked. Combined with A backs brand new to the offense and B backs also in their first year -- and they looked it -- may not be fixable in a week or a season. All those positions last season were filled with seniors, some of them redshirt. It all takes a lot of fixing. As I said, I have my fingers crossed and hope I'm wrong.

As for special teams, as a movie line said, who could argue with that? The oddity to me is that for the first three or four years Johnson refused to hire a special teams coach, insisting he and the other coaches could handle it literally on a part time basis. He was convinced otherwise and it looks to me like they are worse now they ever. The answer to punt coverage may be kicker it higher and much shorter and maybe get a fair catch, and on kickoffs, well, out of the back of the end zone. Staying in their lanes seems something they don't bother with. Combine that with traffic cop tackling and you get the Duke result.
I hate to say this, but we have a bunch of young guys covering kicks, too. We have a mix, to be sure, but more noobs on ST's than last year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind that my reply was not to defend how bad we are this year. It was to refute the idea that "everybody forgets" that we are usually bad under CPJ, suggesting that 2014 was some anomaly that dropped out of clear air. My point is that there is more continuity between good and bad seasons that was being acknowledged by that statement. In the years leading up to 2014 we were not as bad as some thought.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I hate to say this, but we have a bunch of young guys covering kicks, too. We have a mix, to be sure, but more noobs on ST's than last year.
Back in my HS days I returned three kickoffs for scores one year. Sounds great, but the reality was that I fumbled all three and the minute the cover saw the loose ball they went straight at it so when I got there first and headed to the sideline it was just a matter of running fast. Didn't make a single move. Maybe coaching lane discipline is tougher than I thought.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I envy you; the SWARM did not exist when I was at Tech. For all that some folks complain about the student section participation, the SWARM looks like an exciting place to be a student fan. Cherish the experience...
I already miss it a lot.

Makes me almost want grad school. Almost.

My God, people! What if we had just given up on the class after failing the first two major tests? Thats not how GT works! The only thing to do is come back louder amd stronger.