Alexander-Tharpe Fund: Harrison Butker

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think a lot of potential donors in the audience listening to Bill enjoyed 90% of his speech but the other 10% might of just been enough to make them keep their money in their pocket rather than donating it.

I sincerely hope you are wrong about this. It seems incredibly short sighted to base your donation decision on the comments of a former player and coach, who to my knowledge, has no official position with the GTAA or AT Fund.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I suspect that Bill had used much of his speech elsewhere and elsewhen, including more than a couple months ago.

I don't think he was promoting a political agenda but motivating personal activism regardless of politics.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yep for the most part no one cares what your political views are and they do not come out to an event to hear your political views; they can get that 24/7 from TV, the internet, etc.. To me you are going to lose half your audience either way. So from a marketing stand point it is a dumb move. I think shutup and sing was probably derived from people growing weary of singers using their platform to express their politics. Almost all of them are preaching doom and gloom. I personally do not agree with them and I can vote with my money which I do. But what I think is no more or less important than what they think, so I don't waste my time and others time talking about it. It just leads to a negative outcome. I think a lot of potential donors in the audience listening to Bill enjoyed 90% of his speech but the other 10% might of just been enough to make them keep their money in their pocket rather than donating it. It just the way things are. Enough said and probably too much said.

Go Jackets!
yes. To the end.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yep for the most part no one cares what your political views are and they do not come out to an event to hear your political views; they can get that 24/7 from TV, the internet, etc.. To me you are going to lose half your audience either way. So from a marketing stand point it is a dumb move. I think shutup and sing was probably derived from people growing weary of singers using their platform to express their politics. Almost all of them are preaching doom and gloom. I personally do not agree with them and I can vote with my money which I do. But what I think is no more or less important than what they think, so I don't waste my time and others time talking about it. It just leads to a negative outcome. I think a lot of potential donors in the audience listening to Bill enjoyed 90% of his speech but the other 10% might of just been enough to make them keep their money in their pocket rather than donating it. It just the way things are. Enough said and probably too much said.

Go Jackets!
Suppose we disagree on "political". Urging your audience to remember your country's values while specifically disclaiming any interest in their political views is hardly political. And it does not say much for those presumed members of the scholarship fund to suggest they won't contribute because a speaker might be of a different political view says little for them and the education they got from Tech. Getting even with 18-year-olds is kinda weird for grown men. Leave aside the magic number of 10%. Guess one number is as good as another. My central point remains: if Bill Curry is not the living epitome of what it means to be a "Tech Man," then who would want to be one?